There are 205 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Jimmy Johnson had a team of all stars due to Dallas trading Herchell Walker for the whole of Minnesota's draft capital one year and getting Charles Haley for virtually nothing.

We also had a team of all stars, that doesn't discredit Walsh.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Jimmy Johnson had a team of all stars due to Dallas trading Herchell Walker for the whole of Minnesota's draft capital one year and getting Charles Haley for virtually nothing.

I would say the 81 team was mainly built on good tough ordinary players and a young Montana and Clark.
  • JEP83
  • Veteran
This is the Purdy thread right?

Why are y'all so worried about debating retired players. Players who played one game last year etc etc. Who cares.

i think i read about fifty comments in a row that don't even mention the person who's thread your in.
Originally posted by JEP83:

Why are y'all so worried about debating retired players. Players who played one game last year etc etc. Who cares.

i think i read about fifty comments in a row that don't even mention the person who's thread your in.

That means he is excellent and nobody has anything bad to say about him lol

I would say the 81 team was mainly built on good tough ordinary players and a young Montana and Clark.

The '81 team was led by the defense primarily, most notably Fred Dean and the young secondary led by Ronnie Lott. The defense stopped Dallas after The Catch, and the defense had what turned out to be the game saving goal line stand in Super Bowl XVI. Dan Bunz's legendary tackle is as much of a 1-play swing as can be pointed to. That stand made the difference between Walsh being known as a winner vs. as a "choker" in blowing a 20-pt SB lead.
[ Edited by captveg on May 30, 2024 at 9:12 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:

The '81 team was led by the defense primarily, most notably Fred Dean and the young secondary led by Ronnie Lott. The defense stopped Dallas after The Catch, and the defense had what turned out to be the game saving goal line stand in Super Bowl XVI. Dan Bunz's legendary tackle is as much of a 1-play swing as can be pointed to. That stand made the difference between Walsh being known as a winner vs. as a "choker" in blowing a 20-pt SB lead.

Agree 💯%, guys like Walsh/Kyle and Reid usually have a top 10 offense year in and year out with their two QB's (Patrick and Brock/Joe) what sets the difference between Kyle and Reid is their pass defenses. In the playoffs, in this day and age, I really think you have to have an elite pass defense - vs an elite run defense. Once in the playoffs you are facing top of the line WR's and QB's and if you don't have the DLine and DB's to shut down the pass - you lose those Superbowl matchups. Kyle's defenses have been too DLine centric and Linebacker centric in my opinion. I think he's learned the hard way that you have to have the DB's and the DLines to win in the super bowl. Not saying LB's aren't important - they are. But they don't need to be elite. KC's LB's weren't elite, but they were very good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Agree, and the Purdy thread - in the offseason - is sort of a communal thread where everybody posts whatever because that's where everybody is at, during the offseason. The other threads aren't paid attention to much, until the regular season begins.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree, and the Purdy thread - in the offseason - is sort of a communal thread where everybody posts whatever because that's where everybody is at, during the offseason. The other threads aren't paid attention to much, until the regular season begins.

Where everyone is at is right, because of Brock Purdy

ESPN says SF is the favorite to win LIX ...Brock Brees lifting the Lombardi in New Orleans and Drew is in attendance and congratulates him:) Sounds good to me.
Originally posted by Montana:

ESPN says SF is the favorite to win LIX ...Brock Brees lifting the Lombardi in New Orleans and Drew is in attendance and congratulates him:) Sounds good to me.

Brock_STAR throws touchdowns and wins games.

And then in LX in Santa Clara he holds up his second Lombardi in front of the home town fans. Sounds great to me.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

That would be so cool to see Brees in attendance at the Super Bowl (is it in New Orleans?) and Brock lifting # 6 🏆 championship in Brees house.

Just me personally, I think Brock has a slightly stronger arm than Brees and more mobility.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Damn. I've got to watch where I'm going. I seem to have stepped into a wormhole and fallen into an inverse universe where the 9er's Zone doesn't argue about their quarterback.
I can't wait until training camp starts. I'm eager to see how Brock has improved. I know he's working on stuff now but i don't think we can many reports on it.

It'll be cool to hear how he does in simulated situations and how they go.

Yeah, that 81 and 84 team didn't have great players on offense. No Jerry Rice no John Taylor no Brent Jones no Tom Rathman. The offensive line wasn't great. Not even close.
Originally posted by elguapo:

Yeah, that 81 and 84 team didn't have great players on offense. No Jerry Rice no John Taylor no Brent Jones no Tom Rathman. The offensive line wasn't great. Not even close.

They did have Craig and Wendell Tyler at RB, and I guess Russ Francis.

But's still a far cry from Rice/Taylor/Jones/Rathman and Craig as well...

When they say the '84 team was better than '89, clearly it was defense. They allowed 26 points in the post season which was the same as they did in the '89 season (wild)....but one could say shutting out the Bears a year before they became awesome and holding Marino and the Marks Brothers to 16 might've been more impressive than what they did in '89.
Share 49ersWebzone