There are 199 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Craig was not on the '81 team.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Jimmy Johnson had a team of all stars due to Dallas trading Herchell Walker for the whole of Minnesota's draft capital one year and getting Charles Haley for virtually nothing.

We also had a team of all stars, that doesn't discredit Walsh.

What Jimmy Johnson built was really solid with a base of luck called the Walker trade. It was the Jim Harbaugh (the coach's) dream while he was still in the league......insane OL (best in the NFL easily), very good DL, plus lots of good role players were picked up off that Walker trade.

They got Irvin, Aikman, Emmitt Smith in three successive drafts as high first rounders. Moose was a 2nd rounder after Aikman, while Jay Novacek was a free agent.

Alvin Harper was a first rounder in '91.....one of the very best deep threats I hated seeing the Niners face off against. Up until Deion Sanders' arrival on the Niners, I believe he averaged something insane like 33 yards per catch versus SF. He was a tough guy for our CBs to cover....I'm sure Eric Davis still is annoyed by him.

Their OL were all very good somehow but none were first rounders.

The DL was good but was pushed over the top because of the Haley trade.

It's wild to think that as good as Dallas was, they probably needed every single player on there to be able to beat the Niners the way they did in '92 and '93. Haley alone was a big net negative for the Niners and net positive for Dallas, a crazy swing player.

Dallas drafted some legit studs without the Walker trade, and the Walker trade filled out the team to allow it to have the league's best roster.

What made the Niners special was the magic of Young/Rice/Taylor, but the Cowboys had a stronger roster.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on May 30, 2024 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
That would be so cool to see Brees in attendance at the Super Bowl (is it in New Orleans?) and Brock lifting # 6 🏆 championship in Brees house.

Just me personally, I think Brock has a slightly stronger arm than Brees and more mobility.

Idk Brees had quite the arm and was quite twitchy. I would say they are pretty similar. I think BP has a bit more ice in his veins though. Both very accurate, decisive, mobile, confident, great leaders. Yes, it's in New Orleans then the next one in Santa Clara. BP holding the trophy up in Santa Clara..I might have to bring the kleenex to that watch party lol.

Oh and F☆CK DALLAS, especially, 90s Dallas lol
[ Edited by Montana on May 30, 2024 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Craig was not on the '81 team.

The 84 team had Craig and Wendell Tyler which revolutionised the whole system.

The 81 team was just a bunch of no names and Montana, Clark and Lott.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Brock_STAR throws touchdowns and wins games.

And is actually a good player.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I can't wait until training camp starts. I'm eager to see how Brock has improved.

You are?
Originally posted by random49er:
I can't wait until training camp starts. I'm eager to see how Brock has improved.

You are?
lol, if Brock has a bad camp.. tank will just deny it and say it matters when the real games start
Brock and the boys are taking on the jets week 1, it's interesting cause apparently Rodgers is having some issues with his Achilles during OTA (idk the extent but he was seen limping and getting it looked at).

that defense is really good and talented - so it'll be a huge test for Brock. I think we will win but I'm very curious to see how Brock looks against a top defense on prime time to start off the year.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

You are?
lol, if Brock has a bad camp.. tank will just deny it and say it matters when the real games start

Well define what a bad camp is? He can sit there and take the safe dump off every play and complete all his passes - is that good though? Is that progress? Morons like Cohn would say he's having an amazing camp. Even an interception a day isn't a big deal - just depends on what they're even doing when it happened and why it happened but it's meant to be something to push the boundaries and find out what everyone's capabilities, timing, understanding, chemistry etc is.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 30, 2024 at 6:38 PM ]
The 84 team had Craig and Wendell Tyler which revolutionised the whole system.

The 81 team was just a bunch of no names and Montana, Clark and Lott.

And Freddie Solomon if I remember correctly.

Bad camp lol

You are?

Well define what a bad camp is? He can sit there and take the safe dump off every play and complete all his passes - is that good though? Is that progress? Morons like Cohn would say he's having an amazing camp. Even an interception a day isn't a big deal - just depends on what they're even doing when it happened and why it happened but it's meant to be something to push the boundaries and find out what everyone's capabilities, timing, understanding, chemistry etc is.
If INTs aren't a big deal, then positive plays shouldn't hold any weight.

Point, don't waste your time with how camp goes
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on May 30, 2024 at 10:14 PM ]

lol such an asinine thing to say. How things go actually matters, it's just important to understand how to analyze those things and what to take from different situations.

problem is that a lot of people look at thing black and white, where in reality very few things in life are simple in that way. It's called critical thinking and analyzing. Football is a complex sport with a lot of different things, Good and bad, on each play.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 30, 2024 at 10:51 PM ]

lol such an asinine thing to say. How things go actually matters, it's just important to understand how to analyze those things and what to take from different situations.

problem is that a lot of people look at thing black and white, where in reality very few things in life are simple in that way. It's called critical thinking and analyzing. Football is a complex sport with a lot of different things, Good and bad, on each play.
yeah during actual games.. not practice lol
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Jimmy Johnson had a team of all stars due to Dallas trading Herchell Walker for the whole of Minnesota's draft capital one year and getting Charles Haley for virtually nothing.

We also had a team of all stars, that doesn't discredit Walsh.

I would say the 81 team was mainly built on good tough ordinary players and a young Montana and Clark.

Yeah, that 81 and 84 team didn't have great players on offense. No Jerry Rice no John Taylor no Brent Jones no Tom Rathman. The offensive line wasn't great. Not even close.

They did have Craig and Wendell Tyler at RB, and I guess Russ Francis.

But's still a far cry from Rice/Taylor/Jones/Rathman and Craig as well...

When they say the '84 team was better than '89, clearly it was defense. They allowed 26 points in the post season which was the same as they did in the '89 season (wild)....but one could say shutting out the Bears a year before they became awesome and holding Marino and the Marks Brothers to 16 might've been more impressive than what they did in '89.

Yeah, that was the only secondary to ever have four pro bowlers in it JTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone