LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 193 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Giedi:
That would be so cool to see Brees in attendance at the Super Bowl (is it in New Orleans?) and Brock lifting # 6 🏆 championship in Brees house.

Just me personally, I think Brock has a slightly stronger arm than Brees and more mobility.

Idk Brees had quite the arm and was quite twitchy. I would say they are pretty similar. I think BP has a bit more ice in his veins though. Both very accurate, decisive, mobile, confident, great leaders. Yes, it's in New Orleans then the next one in Santa Clara. BP holding the trophy up in Santa Clara..I might have to bring the kleenex to that watch party lol.

Oh and F☆CK DALLAS, especially, 90s Dallas lol

Absolutely, Dallas and KC!

Brees and Purdy are very similar. The best difference is that Brock's arm injury is nowhere near as bad as Brees' injury. I think (given some decent OLine protection) Brock can play till he's in his 40's!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

Those are some Hall-Of-Fame level throws!

Brees had a good arm for most of his career. It dropped off quite a bit hs last couple of year. He wasn't mobile and obviously wasn't big.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Brees had a good arm for most of his career. It dropped off quite a bit hs last couple of year. He wasn't mobile and obviously wasn't big.

I think a big part of a QBs longevity is simply avoiding those hits. I still remember the 49er DLine just killing Brees in the playoffs. Those kinds of hits add up over time. Brady was physically bigger than both Brock and Brees and hence had the body to withstand those hits and had one of the longest careers as a NFL QB.

(Assuming all other things being equal) bigger bones, tendons and muscles can take on more stress and impacts. That's why I'm frustrated by Forester's lack of desire in getting top of the line Offensive Line talent to protect Purdy and reduce those QB hits.

If getting an elite Level QB like Purdy is once in a generation. Why waste his career by not protecting him and hence *extend* his career vs doing the opposite and having a reduced career like Andrew Luck. It just boggles my mind.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

11-6 seems like sort of a let down, right? We are apparently favored in every single game and 11-6 would most likely keep us out of the 1 seed race. I'm thinking 13-4 or 14-3 if we stay healthy and focused

I think it's a pretty realistic prediction with our schedule. 13-4 would be on the super optimistic end for me.

We should be favored to win all of the games, at least 16 of them (assuming we stay healthy). We are good for 3-4 bonehead games a year or just bad luck.

so going 11-6 would be pretty poor IMO. I mean I wouldn't be bummed but I'd hope there is a good reason. I expect 12-5 on the low end. Losing 5 games? We lost 5 games last year and that's with essentially throwing away the final game of the season.

im expecting at least 13 win season if the guys stay healthy, focused, and our d gets back to form. Our offense should still be outstanding.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 1, 2024 at 1:40 PM ]

I think a big part of a QBs longevity is simply avoiding those hits. I still remember the 49er DLine just killing Brees in the playoffs. Those kinds of hits add up over time. Brady was physically bigger than both Brock and Brees and hence had the body to withstand those hits and had one of the longest careers as a NFL QB.

(Assuming all other things being equal) bigger bones, tendons and muscles can take on more stress and impacts. That's why I'm frustrated by Forester's lack of desire in getting top of the line Offensive Line talent to protect Purdy and reduce those QB hits.

If getting an elite Level QB like Purdy is once in a generation. Why waste his career by not protecting him and hence *extend* his career vs doing the opposite and having a reduced career like Andrew Luck. It just boggles my mind.

Brady was excellent at avoiding hits too, especially in his later years. He would get rid of the ball quick and live for the next play/series.

Brock has taken some brutal hits cause he is fearless out there but I hope that slows down. The main reason why I'm anxious to see how he looks this year is to see if he gets rid of the ball faster and more decisive as he masters the plays and defensive recognition with more experience.

Agree, good grief, those are good. Crazy to think we have just started with BP and we could have him for many years! And it being a good thing! Lolol.

Yeah, protecting BP should be of upmost importance and yeah, he takes some of those hits because of all that ice in the veins. He will have to avoid those hits more as he ages..he may already adjust some early on in that area. But at the same time..why not let Purdy be Purdy? Let him loose but yeah, just be smart. Some of those hits, I wish he didn't take. I expect adjustments some, eventually. I am guessing sooner rather than later, who knows, he is still a young firecracker lolol.

That comeback Drew had was amazing but the wear and tear really had an impact. Totally different injury than BP's, so not too worried..just keep it healthy.
Brady was excellent at avoiding hits too, especially in his later years. He would get rid of the ball quick and live for the next play/series.

Brock has taken some brutal hits cause he is fearless out there but I hope that slows down. The main reason why I'm anxious to see how he looks this year is to see if he gets rid of the ball faster and more decisive as he masters the plays and defensive recognition with more experience.

I think also, he was fearless in part, cause he really had to prove himself out there..being last pick, rookie, blah blah. That is a lot of weight the shoulders and needed to really show that he belonged in the NFL and as a 49er qb. Now that he has proved himself..yes, he has, never given a chit about the critics lol..he can kinda simmer down a bit. Not that he compromises as a player but just adjusts as he is more comfortable, like yeah, Brady

By the way, isn't it so cool to have a qb where we are talking about him in a similar light as Brees, Brady? Just having a qb where all those names are in the same sentence.. and they fit..I mean damn. lol.
[ Edited by Montana on Jun 1, 2024 at 2:52 PM ]

I think also, he was fearless in part, cause he really had to prove himself out there..being last pick, rookie, blah blah. That is a lot of weight the shoulders and needed to really show that he belonged in the NFL and as a 49er qb. Now that he has proved himself..yes, he has, never given a chit about the critics lol..he can kinda simmer down a bit. Not that he compromises as a player but just adjusts as he is more comfortable, like yeah, Brady

By the way, isn't it so cool to have a qb where we are talking about him in a similar light as Brees, Brady? Just having a qb where all those names are in the same sentence.. and they fit..I mean damn. lol.

The only things Brock has left to prove are
1. that he can sustain success. A lot of guys have a good year or so but can't sustain it for numerous reasons. Some are gimmicky, some don't have the work ethic etc
2. Brock shows he can make those gradual improvements every year. Improve in each area just a little bit every year.

if he can do those two things while
building upon his current foundation - it'll be an incredible run. He still has a lot to prove but I'm confident he can do that.
I am really worried about Brock's work ethic lol. The only thing I see keeping him back at all is an injury. Not that you were saying anything about his work ethic, just saying it's not a concern of mine lol.

A lot to prove? Not sure what else he can do to prove to ppl that he is completely trustworthy as a qb. His teammates trust him, coaches trust him..not sure why fans seem hesitant. He already has made adjustments as a player and is continually focused on improving. The guy has a perfectionist personality, not worried. What I like about his perfectionism is that it's not like from a dysfunctional mindset type of view or like he isn't good enough or some kind of approval thing..he know he is great and is just a damn, fierce competitor.

I am really worried about Brock's work ethic lol. The only thing I see keeping him back at all is an injury. Not that you were saying anything about his work ethic, just saying it's not a concern of mine lol.

A lot to prove? Not sure what else he can do to prove to ppl that he is completely trustworthy as a qb. His teammates trust him, coaches trust him..not sure why fans seem hesitant. He already has made adjustments as a player and is continually focused on improving. The guy has a perfectionist personality, not worried. What I like about his perfectionism is that it's not like from a dysfunctional mindset type of view or like he isn't good enough or some kind of approval thing..he know he is great and is just a damn, fierce competitor.

Oh it's def not a concern of mine, either. I really don't have any concerns about him - it's just things left he needs to actually do, IMO. Which I 1000% think he will. When I say a lot to improve, I don't mean he's bad at anything, just that there is a lot he can get better at and I think that's what the best do. Get better at the things they're already good at. I don't think he has any flaws that are concerning, just if he can keep upping his game and taking it to the highest levels across the board.

I salivate over it cause I've never really had the 49ers have a truly elite qb since I've been a fan. I was like 6 when young retired. Lol I think to be elite, you need to do it consistently over more than one season (just my opinion) - so I'm anxious to see him do it.

i really think we are going to see a machine out there this year, 2009 Drew Bree's like. Just super efficient, accurate, decisive, effective etc. I can't freakin wait.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 1, 2024 at 5:32 PM ]

no wonder Brock digs corn fields. Hahaha

He wanted to marry a farmer's daughter too lol. But very fitting, a little corny but..

I am sure you are very excited, especially, not seeing your team win one. I am lucky in that regard but I think it made the losses so much more devastating. I was used to them being champions, damn it! Walsh should have been cloned or something lol.

Also, BP Way..did they make it permanent? A while back, they said it might be just for about a month? As mentioned in this broadcast:

https://www.azfamily.com/2024/02/09/perry-puma-drive-gilbert-renamed-brock-purdy-way-honor-49ers-qb/
[ Edited by Montana on Jun 1, 2024 at 6:16 PM ]

He wanted to marry a farmer's daughter too lol. But very fitting, a little corny but..

I am sure you are very excited, especially, not seeing your team win one. I am lucky in that regard but I think it made the losses so much more devastating. I was used to them being champions, damn it! Walsh should have been cloned or something lol.

Yeah, especially going from undefeated in super bowls to three consecutive losses - that's a tough pill to swallow. We will get one soon. We've been through hell long enough, Kyle and Brock will get over the hump. Then I can die happy. Lol
Yeah, especially going from undefeated in super bowls to three consecutive losses - that's a tough pill to swallow. We will get one soon. We've been through hell long enough, Kyle and Brock will get over the hump. Then I can die happy. Lol

Lol at least the drought is over lol. Also, if they took that street sign down, auction that and help pay for Purdy's first house haha. I am guessing mom n pop would want it though.
Share 49ersWebzone