LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 248 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Those are some Hall-Of-Fame level throws!

Agree, good grief, those are good. Crazy to think we have just started with BP and we could have him for many years! And it being a good thing! Lolol.

Yeah, protecting BP should be of upmost importance and yeah, he takes some of those hits because of all that ice in the veins. He will have to avoid those hits more as he ages..he may already adjust some early on in that area. But at the same time..why not let Purdy be Purdy? Let him loose but yeah, just be smart. Some of those hits, I wish he didn't take. I expect adjustments some, eventually. I am guessing sooner rather than later, who knows, he is still a young firecracker lolol.

That comeback Drew had was amazing but the wear and tear really had an impact. Totally different injury than BP's, so not too worried..just keep it healthy.

John Lynch, our GM, (if I recall correctly) was the one who hit Brees and caused that Rotator cuff injury to Brees. That happened, I believe, in the game between Denver vs Chargers.

Teams are blitzing QBs more and more because of all the rules changes making defense hard to play. So I worry more about Brock's injury risk because of that. Kyle has to do a better job of protecting Brock - because if last years OLine pass protection standards are the norm, Brock won't last too long in the NFL.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

I think a big part of a QBs longevity is simply avoiding those hits. I still remember the 49er DLine just killing Brees in the playoffs. Those kinds of hits add up over time. Brady was physically bigger than both Brock and Brees and hence had the body to withstand those hits and had one of the longest careers as a NFL QB.

(Assuming all other things being equal) bigger bones, tendons and muscles can take on more stress and impacts. That's why I'm frustrated by Forester's lack of desire in getting top of the line Offensive Line talent to protect Purdy and reduce those QB hits.

If getting an elite Level QB like Purdy is once in a generation. Why waste his career by not protecting him and hence *extend* his career vs doing the opposite and having a reduced career like Andrew Luck. It just boggles my mind.

Brady was excellent at avoiding hits too, especially in his later years. He would get rid of the ball quick and live for the next play/series.

Brock has taken some brutal hits cause he is fearless out there but I hope that slows down. The main reason why I'm anxious to see how he looks this year is to see if he gets rid of the ball faster and more decisive as he masters the plays and defensive recognition with more experience.

Agree, he's fearless and does a great job taking the hit after throwing. I just wish Foerster would take into account the health of his QBs, after going through the 2022 season and all the QB injuries the team experienced that year.

For me, I'd rather have the 5 yard completion and my QB healthy, than get a TD and lose my QB for the season. But that's just me.
John Lynch, our GM, (if I recall correctly) was the one who hit Brees and caused that Rotator cuff injury to Brees. That happened, I believe, in the game between Denver vs Chargers.

Teams are blitzing QBs more and more because of all the rules changes making defense hard to play. So I worry more about Brock's injury risk because of that. Kyle has to do a better job of protecting Brock - because if last years OLine pass protection standards are the norm, Brock won't last too long in the NFL.

I believe Lynch hit Warren and Warren landed on Brees.
How does Chris Sims continue to have a job with pro football talk or any other job, the guy talks totally out of his ass. It can't be from nepotism because his dad sucks as an analyst just as much as him. 17th best QB really? That's even worse than what that PFF guy ranked. Brock is at minimum top 10 QB. It's not even debatable in any way shape or form. Sims is a certified s**t for brains.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
How does Chris Sims continue to have a job with pro football talk or any other job, the guy talks totally out of his ass. It can't be from nepotism because his dad sucks as an analyst just as much as him. 17th best QB really? That's even worse than what that PFF guy ranked. Brock is at minimum top 10 QB. It's not even debatable in any way shape or form. Sims is a certified s**t for brains.

I have kind of the same thoughts, more or less. One would have to be stupid AF to rank him less than in the top 5. But it is Sims lol
When I think of top qbs atm first comes to mind, unranked:

Purdy
Mahomes
Lamar
Allen
Stroud
Goff

Stafford is gettin older and such, don't see him as much of threat these days ..but Puka is a bit of a different story lol. He is mad good and wish he was a 9er lol. Dak is so overrated it is unbelievable. Left Burrow out, as the guy seems to be/get too injured. Rodgers well..we will see how long he lasts this season. But writing is on the wall for him too I think. Especially, with Love having those break out games.

How the hell did Purdy get number 17? Nitwit
Chris Simms is doing this for clicks nothing else. Like his dad a clown when it comes to broadcasting. So many things wrong with his ratings. For starters having two rookies who have yet to take a snap over Purdy. Really? Richardson at 11 ? He is obviously a Trevor Lawrence fan boy no way that average Trev should be in the top 10. Goff and Stafford far too low. And Jordan Love ahead of Joe Burrow what is he smoking he is a clown.
His dad was always a b***h. The apple did not fall far with the offspring. He can shove his 17 ranking up his dads rear end.
When I think of top qbs atm first comes to mind, unranked:

Purdy
Mahomes
Lamar
Allen
Stroud
Goff

Stafford is gettin older and such, don't see him as much of threat these days ..but Puka is a bit of a different story lol. He is mad good and wish he was a 9er lol. Dak is so overrated it is unbelievable. Left Burrow out, as the guy seems to be/get too injured. Rodgers well..we will see how long he lasts this season. But writing is on the wall for him too I think. Especially, with Love having those break out games.

How the hell did Purdy get number 17? Nitwit

I really think highly of stroud but I'd like to see what kind of strides he makes this upcoming year before I get too crazy on him. He's def top 10 but idk if he cracks top 5 to me.

a lot of folks are forgetting burrow though cause he was injured a lot last year. I'd swap Goff with burrow and maybe stroud with Goff. Just cause Goff has shown to be consistent (for better or worse).

it's like love, I'd like to see more of him and stroud before I get too high on them. Both have shown great promise though, specifically stroud.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 2, 2024 at 8:30 AM ]
I still don't understand why people get so amped up over these rankings. They're meaningless. They have no bearing on the outcome of the games. The QBs themselves aren't concerned about them. They're just someone's opinion. If the players were getting paid based on these rankings then they would mean something. They can rank him dead last for all I care as long as the Niners keep winning and he plays well.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I still don't understand why people get so amped up over these rankings. They're meaningless. They have no bearing on the outcome of the games. The QBs themselves aren't concerned about them. They're just someone's opinion. If the players were getting paid based on these rankings then they would mean something. They can rank him dead last for all I care as long as the Niners keep winning and he plays well.

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't upset me at all. Sometimes I'm just confused how a "professional" can have some of these rankings though. That's it.

i feel like ranking QBs is so inconsistent because the way this QB position, in comparison to other positions, is analyzed has a lot of subjectivness in it.

for me personally, Brock is a top 5 guy and I think he's going to have an excellent up coming season. Super excited

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't upset me at all. Sometimes I'm just confused how a "professional" can have some of these rankings though. That's it.

i feel like ranking QBs is so inconsistent because the way this QB position, in comparison to other positions, is analyzed has a lot of subjectivness in it.

for me personally, Brock is a top 5 guy and I think he's going to have an excellent up coming season. Super excited

Let'sbe honset here. Many of these people that do these rankings have their favorite teams and players. They also have the old pre-conceived notion of what makes a good QB. All you have to do is look at the way QBs rise in the draft after some on field workouts. The teams see that a guy is bigger or faster than expected or throws the ball a little better so they move him up their chart. Suddenly the on field production doesn't mean as much to some of them.

I don't get it but we can't ignore the fact that every year at least 2 QBs seem to get drafted higher than expected. Much of that is based on the combine. It's also a fact that about half the QBs typically don't do well. Brock being drafted last certainly has an effect on their thinking. They can't get around the fact that so many teams overlooked his on field play because of his size or speed or whatever. So they say it's just the system or the talent around him that enables him to play well. That's true to some extent but he still has to make the reads and deliver the ball accurately. He still has to understand the system and the defenses he faces. I suspect hey will continue to underrate him until he has a big game and wins a SB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I believe Lynch hit Warren and Warren landed on Brees.

Your recollection is probably better than me. I'm an old fogy. I can't even recall what I posted yesterday.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Let'sbe honset here. Many of these people that do these rankings have their favorite teams and players. They also have the old pre-conceived notion of what makes a good QB. All you have to do is look at the way QBs rise in the draft after some on field workouts. The teams see that a guy is bigger or faster than expected or throws the ball a little better so they move him up their chart. Suddenly the on field production doesn't mean as much to some of them.

I don't get it but we can't ignore the fact that every year at least 2 QBs seem to get drafted higher than expected. Much of that is based on the combine. It's also a fact that about half the QBs typically don't do well. Brock being drafted last certainly has an effect on their thinking. They can't get around the fact that so many teams overlooked his on field play because of his size or speed or whatever. So they say it's just the system or the talent around him that enables him to play well. That's true to some extent but he still has to make the reads and deliver the ball accurately. He still has to understand the system and the defenses he faces. I suspect hey will continue to underrate him until he has a big game and wins a SB.

Agree 💯%, and of course, that comes at a price. Right now it's 60 million per year. It will go up, I'm sure.

Size, arm strength, and athletecism. If you don't have a brain, you can't properly value a brain. It's what Always separates the great from the good quarterbacks.

Personnally, I'm still looking for the difference in Brock and Joe Montana. It may be there, but you couldn't prove it to me on film so far. I know the difference between Kyle and Walsh, and yes I am a Kyle fan, but Bill would never not take the first opportunity to win a SB in overtime, and Bill would never have allowed his defense to perform so poorly with that talent level. Brock did his job. Kyle lost that one.
Share 49ersWebzone