LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 212 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Short of his numbered placement at 17th (which I definitely don't agree with), I think Simms' pretty accurately described Brock's strengths and weaknesses and his performance last season, generally. There's no doubt he puts a premium on physical skills, but I don't think his comments were out of bounds.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jun 2, 2024 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I still don't understand why people get so amped up over these rankings. They're meaningless. They have no bearing on the outcome of the games. The QBs themselves aren't concerned about them. They're just someone's opinion. If the players were getting paid based on these rankings then they would mean something. They can rank him dead last for all I care as long as the Niners keep winning and he plays well.

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't upset me at all. Sometimes I'm just confused how a "professional" can have some of these rankings though. That's it.

i feel like ranking QBs is so inconsistent because the way this QB position, in comparison to other positions, is analyzed has a lot of subjectivness in it.

for me personally, Brock is a top 5 guy and I think he's going to have an excellent up coming season. Super excited

Size, arm strength, and athletecism. If you don't have a brain, you can't properly value a brain. It's what Always separates the great from the good quarterbacks.

Personnally, I'm still looking for the difference in Brock and Joe Montana. It may be there, but you couldn't prove it to me on film so far. I know the difference between Kyle and Walsh, and yes I am a Kyle fan, but Bill would never not take the first opportunity to win a SB in overtime, and Bill would never have allowed his defense to perform so poorly with that talent level. Brock did his job. Kyle lost that one.

What separates Montana and Purdy are the championships. Purdy may get a couple in due time. Purdy will never face the defenses that Joe did. The great defenses from the Bears, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins and the Eagles were absolute monsters. Plus they weren't hogtied like defensive players are today. They hit high and low. Often late. Montana took some terrible beatings and it shortened his career. Some of the hits he took would cause players to be suspended in today's game. That doesn't make hm better than Purdy but you really can't compare them because of the different rules and style of play.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I still don't understand why people get so amped up over these rankings. They're meaningless. They have no bearing on the outcome of the games. The QBs themselves aren't concerned about them. They're just someone's opinion. If the players were getting paid based on these rankings then they would mean something. They can rank him dead last for all I care as long as the Niners keep winning and he plays well.

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't upset me at all. Sometimes I'm just confused how a "professional" can have some of these rankings though. That's it.

i feel like ranking QBs is so inconsistent because the way this QB position, in comparison to other positions, is analyzed has a lot of subjectivness in it.

for me personally, Brock is a top 5 guy and I think he's going to have an excellent up coming season. Super excited

Size, arm strength, and athletecism. If you don't have a brain, you can't properly value a brain. It's what Always separates the great from the good quarterbacks.

Personnally, I'm still looking for the difference in Brock and Joe Montana. It may be there, but you couldn't prove it to me on film so far. I know the difference between Kyle and Walsh, and yes I am a Kyle fan, but Bill would never not take the first opportunity to win a SB in overtime, and Bill would never have allowed his defense to perform so poorly with that talent level. Brock did his job. Kyle lost that one.
Brock Purdy definitely doesn't strike anybody as a superman from an athletic standpoint. But I think there was a stat last year that NY85 cited which stated something to the effect that *both* Reid and Kyle's offense have pretty much the same air yards per pass. So despite Patrick having a cannon for an arm, they don't ask him to do a lot of deep passing almost the same way Brock is asked to do. In fact, I think Brock's deep passing percentage actually is better than Patrick's.

I think Kyle is still learning the defensive aspects of playoff level competition. An example, of course, is that offensive holding is hardly ever called in the super bowl whereas in the regular season, it is called more often. Another example - Kyle used to draft small fast guys, because they are fast, now he drafts big fast guys - although not as fast as the little guys, because they are more durable in a long NFL season - and especially in the playoffs. Kyle got lucky with Purdy, but even before Purdy, he was already looking for athletic QB's that can move around and not be tree stumps in the pocket (Trey Lance). For a long time he liked pocket QB's that didn't have the escapability like Kirk Cousins, but he learned after losing to Patrick in 2019. He's still learning, and that's a good thing - not a bad thing.

What separates Montana and Purdy are the championships. Purdy may get a couple in due time. Purdy will never face the defenses that Joe did. The great defenses from the Bears, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins and the Eagles were absolute monsters. Plus they weren't hogtied like defensive players are today. They hit high and low. Often late. Montana took some terrible beatings and it shortened his career. Some of the hits he took would cause players to be suspended in today's game. That doesn't make hm better than Purdy but you really can't compare them because of the different rules and style of play.

Joe Montana didn't even start ahead of freakin Steve DeBerg until half way through his second season. His first championship was his third year. Brock is not behind Joe yet. And again, if Brock is lacking toughness, or anything else Joe had, share it with me on film.
I really think highly of stroud but I'd like to see what kind of strides he makes this upcoming year before I get too crazy on him. He's def top 10 but idk if he cracks top 5 to me.

a lot of folks are forgetting burrow though cause he was injured a lot last year. I'd swap Goff with burrow and maybe stroud with Goff. Just cause Goff has shown to be consistent (for better or worse).

it's like love, I'd like to see more of him and stroud before I get too high on them. Both have shown great promise though, specifically stroud.

Yeah, I definitely didn't forget about Burrow and agree, some forget-or whatever the case. I left him out just cause of injury. But I would pick a healthy Burrow over Stroud for the time being.

And rankings..yeah, good point, who really cares when it comes down to it..#17 was pretty lame though haha.

Sims is like the type of guy you really want to give a wedgie to haha

I agree with a lot of this post. Kyle bit the dust. Lol. Brock is the best performer on that whole team, did his job, must be frustrating as heck when others don't do theirs. JMO. As far as Montana, his footwork was pretty perfect. Brocks is up there as well. Joe had this elegant refinement about his footwork..Brock is more, well, sturdy and direct due to his massive core and leg strength. Not sure if I explained his well...but oh well lol. With Joe though, his movements looked so natural and seemed so effortless..graceful really.

But yeah, like Jerry said, "Brock is like a Joe Montana".

Don't come at me bros! Jk Idc haha.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Joe Montana didn't even start ahead of freakin Steve DeBerg until half way through his second season. His first championship was his third year. Brock is not behind Joe yet. And again, if Brock is lacking toughness, or anything else Joe had, share it with me on film.

Both Brock and Kyle are on a pretty good trajectory - career wise - when compared to Walsh and Joe. I think Brock is plenty tough and compares favorably in that department to any of our past elite QBs.

These offseason polls are pretty much to generate buzz and attention when there isn't really any news activity in the offseason. To me, they are worthless when comparing to actually watching the player play in a real football game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Short of his numbered placement at 17th (which I definitely don't agree with), I think Simms' pretty accurately described Brock's strengths and weaknesses and his performance last season, generally. There's no doubt he puts a premium on physical skills, but I don't think his comments were out of bounds.

I think Chris Simms is just trying to not show his biased for Shanahan and the 9ers. FWIW he talks pretty positive of the 9ers throughout the season. So I agree not out of bounds.
Brock is healthy. SO that means we as fans can break down his wobble balls and curvatures and all that this offseason like we did with our ex-QB trey LANCE
I wish it was 1981 all over again.

Originally posted by RonnieLott:
I wish it was 1981 all over again.

The past called, says for you to move on lol
Why, it was the best time to be a Niner fan.
Originally posted by Montana:
When I think of top qbs atm first comes to mind, unranked:

Purdy
Mahomes
Lamar
Allen
Stroud
Goff

Stafford is gettin older and such, don't see him as much of threat these days ..but Puka is a bit of a different story lol. He is mad good and wish he was a 9er lol. Dak is so overrated it is unbelievable. Left Burrow out, as the guy seems to be/get too injured. Rodgers well..we will see how long he lasts this season. But writing is on the wall for him too I think. Especially, with Love having those break out games.

How the hell did Purdy get number 17? Nitwit

"one of these things is not like the others…" he's a dead ringer for Ryan Gosling if you know who I mean.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Montana:
When I think of top qbs atm first comes to mind, unranked:

Purdy
Mahomes
Lamar
Allen
Stroud
Goff

Stafford is gettin older and such, don't see him as much of threat these days ..but Puka is a bit of a different story lol. He is mad good and wish he was a 9er lol. Dak is so overrated it is unbelievable. Left Burrow out, as the guy seems to be/get too injured. Rodgers well..we will see how long he lasts this season. But writing is on the wall for him too I think. Especially, with Love having those break out games.

How the hell did Purdy get number 17? Nitwit

"one of these things is not like the others…" he's a dead ringer for Ryan Gosling if you know who I mean.

Is he the one whose game changes considerably when he's actually pressured?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by picklejuice:
Brock is healthy. SO that means we as fans can break down his wobble balls and curvatures and all that this offseason like we did with our ex-QB trey LANCE

Tough to do. I think Brock throws one of the tightest spirals with the most catchable ball in all of the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone