LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 205 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Holding out isn't a thing really anymore since the CBA was updated.

IMO there really isn't such a thing as backloading or front loading deals. Huge signings bonuses are great because you can prorate it, plus the players might give in a little knowing they're getting their cash now. s**t doesn't really matter because of all the restructuring that happens. Look at mahomes, he's heading into the 4th year of his deal and still hasn't hit $40M cap wise because of restructuring.

Rams just had older players on bloated contracts. They overpaid at RB, CB snd a QB that didn't want

There is def front and back loading. The money eventually comes due, it's just easier to manage if you spread it out cause of the way the cap is going up.

Realistically, short term deals are worse for teams cause it gives them less flexibility. Mahommes signed a SUPER long contract. Which gives the chiefs a ton of flexibility to push his cap hits way into the future while paying him now through signing bonuses.

mahommes did the chiefs a MASSIVE favor by signing such a long deal. After this year, his cap hits are jumping to nearly $70M.

he has two "void" years that account for $120M, so if he was cut - they'd have $120M in dead cap just cause of that. Because they'll most likely restructure and/or extend - they'll just continue kicking the can down the road.

it all just depends on the structure. Ideally, you want your qb on as long of a deal as possible and not what cousins did in Minnesota, he milked them dry and made it stressful on their cap cause of it.

the craziest part of pats contract is he only got a $10M signing bonus. Lol he's restructured it a few times though so I'm sure he's got more now
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 14, 2024 at 11:54 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
I agree that guaranteed money is the most important but there are more ways to view it than just what we paid in a single year. You can't say that deebo didn't cost us $60M+ cause we didn't pay it to him in the three seasons he played here (assuming he is cut next year) cause that's false.

if we cut deebo next year - he will have made approx $20M a year per a season he played here. We just spread it out on paper (the cap) but ultimately, we are paying him $20M a year in real dollars.

he will have cost us $60M+ for us to use him over 3 seasons. We just spread that $60M out but we ultimately paid him $20M each year of service we got out of him.

Where are you getting $20M per from this? We cut him it avg out to $14M per year. You can't not include 2025 because he was on the team during the new yr.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 14, 2024 at 12:01 PM ]
There is def front and back loading. The money eventually comes due, it's just easier to manage if you spread it out cause of the way the cap is going up.

Realistically, short term deals are worse for teams cause it gives them less flexibility. Mahommes signed a SUPER long contract. Which gives the chiefs a ton of flexibility to push his cap hits way into the future while paying him now through signing bonuses.

mahommes did the chiefs a MASSIVE favor by signing such a long deal. After this year, his cap hits are jumping to nearly $70M.

he has two "void" years that account for $120M, so if he was cut - they'd have $120M in dead cap just cause of that. Because they'll most likely restructure and/or extend - they'll just continue kicking the can down the road.

it all just depends on the structure. Ideally, you want your qb on as long of a deal as possible and not what cousins did in Minnesota, he milked them dry and made it stressful on their cap cause of it.

the craziest part of pats contract is he only got a $10M signing bonus. Lol he's restructured it a few times though so I'm sure he's got more now

Show me a backloaded deal…one where a team can't get out of it at all at the end of the deal. One where they can't restructure or give him an extension because he's a young elite player.

Mahomes will just continue to restructure his deal getting more cash up front and then when the time comes for crazy high cap hits, they will just give him an extension. The eagles just did it with AJ brown. Sure at some point they will have to bite the bullet but s**t isn't gonna be as bad with the cap going up as much as it is every yr.
I agree that guaranteed money is the most important but there are more ways to view it than just what we paid in a single year. You can't say that deebo didn't cost us $60M+ cause we didn't pay it to him in the three seasons he played here (assuming he is cut next year) cause that's false.

if we cut deebo next year - he will have made approx $20M a year per a season he played here. We just spread it out on paper (the cap) but ultimately, we are paying him $20M a year in real dollars.

he will have cost us $60M+ for us to use him over 3 seasons. We just spread that $60M out but we ultimately paid him $20M each year of service we got out of him.

Where are you getting $20M per from this? We cut him it avg out to $14M per year. You can't not include 2025 because he was on the team during the new yr.

(Some of what I'm going to say, I believe you know already, I'm just saying it for sake of convo. So please don't take it like I'm talking down you. If I'm wrong about something, then my bad.)

so we signed Deebo to an extension of his rookie contract. So we were able to spread our his new contract details amongst four years and then added 2 void years.

he was guaranteed $58.1M across his three year deal he signed.
He got $24M of it upfront, which is why his 2022 cash was $25m (not cap hit).
He got $11.3M in cash in 2023 from us.
This upcoming 2024 season $21.9 this year.

That's just under $60M. If we cut him next year, The $15M in deadcap is money he's already got as a signing bonus that we chose to account for later in the contract.

So he has made nearly $20M a year on his extension so far, for three years of service.

The issue with only assuming guaranteed is what matters is if the player actually continues balling. You can sign mahommes to a 5 year $500M deal with none guaranteed but you're still stuck having to pay the unguarnsteed money cause you need/want the player to help you win games. The player just doesn't have any security.

I 100% agree that guaranteed is the most important part. It should always be the main focus when analyzing guys contracts.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Simms saying Brock should have thrown 7 picks in that Packers game shows what an idiot he is. He could have said 1 or 2 but he says 7. Remember this is the guy who was inlove with Kellen Mond and had Zach Wilson as the best QB of that draft class.

The problem with Simms is all rankings are based on physical tools and not production. So he never takes into equation IQ, reading defenses, accuracy, processing, toughness, leadership etc etc. Nope he goes off of how big and strong you are and how fast you are. He probally never had Tom Brady as the best QB.

Sims must wake up every day thinking to himself, what's the stupidest AF thing I can say to make a total ass out of myself? We would've won the SB with Love instead of Brock is totally theoretical and not really a good theory at that. There's nothing to prove this would be the case, absolutely none whatsoever. Certainly there's no way in hell the 49ers as presently constituted would've come back to win the NFC championship vs the Lions with the same halftime deficit.
(Some of what I'm going to say, I believe you know already, I'm just saying it for sake of convo. So please don't take it like I'm talking down you. If I'm wrong about something, then my bad.)

so we signed Deebo to an extension of his rookie contract. So we were able to spread our his new contract details amongst four years and then added 2 void years.

That's just under $60M. If we cut him next year, The $15M in deadcap is money he's already got as a signing bonus that we chose to account for later in the contract.

So he has made nearly $20M a year on his extension so far, for three years of service.

The issue with only assuming guaranteed is what matters is if the player actually continues balling. You can sign mahommes to a 5 year $500M deal with none guaranteed but you're still stuck having to pay the unguarnsteed money cause you need/want the player to help you win games. The player just doesn't have any security.

I 100% agree that guaranteed is the most important part. It should always be the main focus when analyzing guys contracts.

It's not 3yrs though it's 4. It's an extension not a FA signing.

Again look at the structure I posted yr to yr. It's doesn't equal the $24M that people were mad about let alone the $20M per we're talking about. I don't care what he got in real cash, that's between him and Jed. I care about the breakdown cap wise and it wasn't as "horrible" as people complained about…per usual

complaining about APY is dumb, at least we agree there
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 14, 2024 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

for an idea on cost

lol late to the party but I've been wondering what's gonna happen with him.

The bags for these guys is downright scary.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think the discrepancy some folks are talking about is based off the fact that determining a guys worth off of his APY is dumb. The numbers aren't real unless the whole deal is FGTD.

we had people upset that Deebo was gonna make "$24M per" just a couple years ago. Well guess what this is the first yr his cap hit is actually in double digits. One yr of a $20+M cap hit because next yr he will either be extended or cut, thus lowering his cap hit regardless. Not even close to $24M per.

Same thing with Hill/adams/St Brown (which I talked about) fluff. Lombardi who actually knows contracts/the cap (and is also a bit annoying) talked about all this on the Guy podcast the other day.

Yeah but looking at just how much we are spending a year, while they're still on the team is mis leading.

if we cut Deebo after this season, we will still owe Deebo roughly $25M - it's just spread out over 3 season. We would have $15M dead cap next year and have $10M on the books over the next two years for him. The only cap savings is like $10M for one season if we cut him.

so we are definitely paying Deebo $20M+ a year for the years of service we got out of him - we just spread it out to lessen the initial cap hit. But the years we got to use him (assuming 3, if we cut him next year), he def got $20M+ a year out of us.

the main reason we are able to make a contract like his spread out is cause jed is willing to pay large signing bonuses - which gives the player all of the signing bonus upfront, so the owner has to cut the check when the player signs the contract, but allows us to spread the money throughout void years etc. we still pay it just over a longer period of time. Cheap owners don't do this and it hurts their cap.

I think Jed is indeed a key to front loading the player salaries. There is a risk, of the player holding out after all the guaranteed money is given, but the 49ers culture is strong. The Front loading, has other advantages in my opinion that's under appreciated. It's when a player gets old, for example Dre Greenlaw, I love him as a player, but if he doesn't recover 100%, his cap hit is almost zero if he's let go because of the frontloading previously. The opposit is bad (backloading), and the Rams had to learn the lesson of the 1994 Superbowl 49ers a few years ago - SeanLes had to let go so many all stars because of all the backloading deals they did.

We fans pay a lot of attention to the players and coaches but in the modern NFL the front office is every bit as important when trying to build a winner. Keeping a team together is just as hard as getting the players in the first place. Lynch, Paraag and Jed have done a better job than 90% of the league.

Agree and they do it with an owner that isn't afraid to shell out a monstrous amount of money to make sure the frontloading strategy works for the team.
I hope Brock is laser-focused on getting the job done, making the play that brings his team over the top. He seems to be doing what he needs to, improving his craft, staying coachable, reviewing all the SB plays and alternative--and hopefully more successful--responses.

I fear that the potential pot of gold from a new contract may seduce him into lethargic mediocrity, knocking off that Mr. Irrelevant chip and that burning desire to get better. I don't think it will, and I hope it won't--but who wouldn't be mesmerized by such potential wealth?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

I think Jed is indeed a key to front loading the player salaries. There is a risk, of the player holding out after all the guaranteed money is given, but the 49ers culture is strong. The Front loading, has other advantages in my opinion that's under appreciated. It's when a player gets old, for example Dre Greenlaw, I love him as a player, but if he doesn't recover 100%, his cap hit is almost zero if he's let go because of the frontloading previously. The opposit is bad (backloading), and the Rams had to learn the lesson of the 1994 Superbowl 49ers a few years ago - SeanLes had to let go so many all stars because of all the backloading deals they did.

Holding out isn't a thing really anymore since the CBA was updated.

IMO there really isn't such a thing as backloading or front loading deals. Huge signings bonuses are great because you can prorate it, plus the players might give in a little knowing they're getting their cash now. s**t doesn't really matter because of all the restructuring that happens. Look at mahomes, he's heading into the 4th year of his deal and still hasn't hit $40M cap wise because of restructuring.

Rams just had older players on bloated contracts. They overpaid at RB, CB snd a QB that didn't want

Players can still hold out if they don't like what they are getting. I think Deshon Watson is one case, I could be wrong. Proration is based on the categorization of the earned income of a player. Roster Bonuses, Various likely/unlikely to be earned bonuses, Roster Salary, and the spread of the guaranteed payments all work to accelerate the depreciable guaranteed money over time. In other words there are a lot of ways to skin a cat or frontload a contract. Parag and his disciples are one of the better cap strategists out there. The nice thing about frontloading is you avoid *overpaying* players - that you don't want. Exactly what the Rams situation had after their super bowl win. In backloading player contract you have to get rid of them and eat the dead cap money. There really isn't any other way to get rid of a player you don't want and recover his cap space other than trading cap space -- which I don't know if it's still legal in the NFL or not. Dee Ford is an example of getting rid of a player by extending his contract and keeping his salary on the books two years or so after he was (in all practicality) let go.

P.S. defer to AB81 if I got things wrong.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Jimmy had void year in his last year with the 49ers - the year Purdy was 3rd string QB, and if they let Jimmy go, I don't think they would have had to pay him anything and also no dead cap hit. What they ended up doing (if I recall correctly) was because of the void years - they had negotiation power over Jimmy (i.e. he could be traded) but what they did was to re-sign Jimmy and actually give him his void year *injury* contract amount and by the next year, his contract was over and the 49ers had no leverage on Jimmy to keep him, nor did the 49ers want to keep him considering Purdy was balling out the next year when Jimmy was with the raiders.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Simms saying Brock should have thrown 7 picks in that Packers game shows what an idiot he is. He could have said 1 or 2 but he says 7. Remember this is the guy who was inlove with Kellen Mond and had Zach Wilson as the best QB of that draft class.

The problem with Simms is all rankings are based on physical tools and not production. So he never takes into equation IQ, reading defenses, accuracy, processing, toughness, leadership etc etc. Nope he goes off of how big and strong you are and how fast you are. He probally never had Tom Brady as the best QB.

When the f**k did Simms turn into Nick Wright? Yes the 49ers have a stacked roster, but the QB still has to make the right decisions.

Simms has always been an attention-seeker. It's why he has a gig.
when it's contract time were all gonna turn into steve ruiz
Kittle's nickname for Brock is water lizard.

At this rate if Brock has an MVP like season and takes this team deep let alone a SB win finally dudes gonna ask for 60 annually. Money blinds most people but I really hope he has a Brady mentality and looks out for the team. I know he's been working on pick 262 money but damn hope the endorsements are hitting
Share 49ersWebzone