LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 257 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
How is he more talented? I don't see a single throw that he does that Brock can't do. Neither has cannons, neither are physically elite, both are elite pre/post snap, both have had top end offensive talent around them…one gets praise beyond believe and the other gets mostly s**t on for being in a good situation.

I like Joe a lot, if I had to pick a QB not named Mahomes, burrow would be up there. Overall I also don't see much of a difference between either guy outside of where they were drafted.

This.

The arm strength talking point has always been cringe. As is the guys around him crap. His arm is great, playing is great. Burrow gets injured quite a bit and I don't trust that. A weaker o-line doesn't help. But Burrow needs to bulk a bit or something. Feel like he could use a few extra lbs. Needs to drink more milk, eat more salmon, peanut butter smoothies or whatever lol. Honestly, I would take a healthy, thick, Brock over Burrow rn. Maybe that is nuts but I like this bulked up Brock I am seeing too. Guy is going to be fierce. Burrow needs to go to Sprouts and fill up a cart or two lol.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
How is he more talented? I don't see a single throw that he does that Brock can't do. Neither has cannons, neither are physically elite, both are elite pre/post snap, both have had top end offensive talent around them…one gets praise beyond believe and the other gets mostly s**t on for being in a good situation.

I like Joe a lot, if I had to pick a QB not named Mahomes, burrow would be up there. Overall I also don't see much of a difference between either guy outside of where they were drafted.

Neither have cannons but Joe is a bigger man with a stronger arm. I think Brock has one of the weakest arms in the league among the starters and Joe is probably right about average. Mobility is comparable, probably a slight quickness edge to Brock which I think is probably mitigated by Burrow's awareness and pocket movement.

Burrow has a better WR group but I'd argue Brock's surrounding talent is still better including the running back and TE. I think he plays in a better offense with a better run game. I also think Burrow is better post snap than Brock and is probably more accurate as well.

Brock's arm is not noticeably different than Burrow's. I think the Brock has a weak arm thing is fake news. His clocked speed of 55-56 mph puts him slightly above average for QBs. Last year he was still recovering, and his arm wasn't ever a concern despite that fact.

The only real physical limitation I see is his grip on wet balls.

They both have a lot of intangibles that are similar, but I'd say a couple things here....Burrow most definitely has a stronger arm. He's not Allen/Herbert, but his arm is another tier above Brocks. I mean...I'll revisit this position when I see Brock have a 60 yard throw that Burrow had against the Cardinals last year, but I don't think my opinion on this will change anytime soon. Secondly....and this comes from an offensive philosophical difference...but the Niners are a run-oriented offense, and most, if not all, defensive game plans against SF focus on CMC and the run game first. Purdy has most definitely taken advantage of this, but can he consistently lead a team offensively as a pass first team? We really don't know.

When teams face the Bengals, Burrow carries far more of the burden, as they are a pass first team - and thus teams defensively gear up to face the pass attack first. He's had several 45, 50+ attempt games with 400+ yard games, and he's delivered.

We can talk all about how he's the prototypical QB and his draft status and all that, but he's absolutely stood up to his lofty status and is a top 3 type QB in the league. I don't think I can say the same thing about Purdy.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I argued this earlier

because he wasn't a top pick and lacks the height/weight/speed that is so coveted amongst draft nerds.

we all know this and honestly need to stop caring, brock is great and his arrow is up.

Hnow do we not know this by now.

Joe burrow doesn't have any of that either…he's not big, fast or super tall. He doesn't have a cannon either (that was a knock on him during the draft process). Toss in the "small hands" issue he has as well lol.

Burrow has one monster season at LSU with Chase and JJ as his WRs and gets to go #1. He's a good QB, but I don't think he possess anything better than what Brock has.

Hmmmm that's something I'll have to think about. I really like Joe, and have just assumed he was the better overall QB, but this is a compelling argument. I dig it. I have my doubts, but I'll go back and watch some game tape to see if I'm just biased. I will say that had Brock been touted as a first round talent in the beginning I probably wouldn't have any hesitation to call them equals….. again, bias. Brock has been so f**king good man. A big part of me goes into every game wondering if the wheels are about to fall off…..but, I'm an idiot 🤷‍♂️
Neither have cannons but Joe is a bigger man with a stronger arm. I think Brock has one of the weakest arms in the league among the starters and Joe is probably right about average. Mobility is comparable, probably a slight quickness edge to Brock which I think is probably mitigated by Burrow's awareness and pocket movement.

Burrow has a better WR group but I'd argue Brock's surrounding talent is still better including the running back and TE. I think he plays in a better offense with a better run game. I also think Burrow is better post snap than Brock and is probably more accurate as well.

Joe is what like 2" and maybe 10lbs bigger at this point? Got smaller hands and I will disagree that he has a stronger arm. He's not regarded as some huge QB that's stupid athletic.

Brock doesn't have a top end arm as far as velocity goes. Neither does Joe. That s**t has been overlooked on his part because of where he was drafted. Go read his draft profile "Below avg arm strength" without question. Neither guy checks the box for having some huge live arm.

I will also disagree that their mobility is comparable. Brock is for sure more twitchy.

Also disagree with accuracy, especially this yr downfield. Burrow was actually pretty f**king bad. I could argue his OL overall is better than Brock's and while Kyle is an amazing play-caller acting like Taylor isn't impressive is silly.

again Joe gets all this praise for being some elite QB WHILE having elite play-makers all over the field…Brock get's s**t on for the same thing.
Originally posted by Chance:
Brock's arm is not noticeably different than Burrow's. I think the Brock has a weak arm thing is fake news. His clocked speed of 55-56 mph puts him slightly above average for QBs. Last year he was still recovering, and his arm wasn't ever a concern despite that fact.

The MPH stuff doesn't really mean anything…it's having velocity in game and being accurate while doing it that matters. Colt McCoy had a higher MPH ball than Flacco and Herbert and we all know his arm isn't close to theirs.

I've said his arm isn't in the top level of starting NFL QBs and overall it's not really. Neither was manning or Brees. Neither is Burrow. He's got touch and can fit it in tight windows. He's also got a gunslinger mindset BUT doesn't really have the proper gun to make all those plays (which can get him in trouble). That's fine, he's gotta use more anticipation and proper pre/post reads to get it where it needs to go. Same as Burrow
Originally posted by genus49:
It's 100% draft bias this fanbase gotta stop being upset about this crap. Brock will keep showing out and the doubters will look dumber and dumber and their numbers will get smaller and smaller.

agreed. i'm long past caring anymore, i'm already convinced he's top 10 or top 5 right now. he's a baller. what chris simms and other say about him is just funny to me tbh.

No I get it…I mean he's gonna get a massive contract and those folks are gonna dig in even more about how avg he is. For me I always thought his upside was basically Joe Burrow 2.0 and I think he's already there

lol his contract situation is just hilarious to me. All these opposing fanbases keep bringing up how much he's going to get like it's a negative.

If all goes well Brock will have 2.5 seasons worth of games to earn that contract and at minimum an appearance in 2 NFCCGs and a SB(hopefully adds to each of those this season and a W at the end of course)

This is not a Jimmy G situation where we saw him for 5 games with SF and 2 more with the Pats and he got a huge deal because he was coming up for free agency.

This is not a Kap situation where you got a year and a half worth of playing.

When Brock gets that mega deal it will be 100% because he's proven himself and will earn it. 49ers have shown they are able to draft well in the later rounds, that is key to fielding a good team and with a franchise QB the idea that once Brock gets paid the team will fall apart is just garbage.

The core of our roster outside of Trent Williams is still very young. The starters who are over 30 are

Trent 36
Juice 33
Brendel 32
Feliciano 32
Floyd 32
Wish 32
Hargrave 31
Kittle 31

With all due respect to Juice the only two studs on that list are Trent and George and George is on the lower level of the 30+ club and technically he doesn't hit 31 til October of this year.

Sure we won't be able to keep everyone and the 49ers are aware of that but I trust Brock to keep getting better, especially if our OL improves in pass pro. I saw him hit Chris Conley for big plays in the GB GWD and in the SB. I know Kyle can scheme guys open and I trust Brock to find them.

Let the other fanbases laugh at his contract. Most of them will be crying when Brock is done with them.
Here's some stats for purdy

Here's joe this yr on downfield throws

I think that's accurate and what you listed at the end is 100% my biggest concern with Brock. Granted he's been able to get the W or get us in position to win in the rain games we've had so far but the difference in his ability to throw the ball has been alarmingly different. Obviously most QBs struggle in the rain vs without it but it will be something we're always nervous about if the weather forecast calls for rain.

And you're right on the arm strength part of it. Yes Brock doesn't have a cannon so he can't make some of those amazing hole shots down the field between defenders but he doesn't have to. Brock I think understands his limitations well enough that it's a non issue. Jimmy did not...

Now every QB will have bad plays where they think they can get a ball in there and it gets picked. It happens to Mahomes and Allen and it will definitely happen to Brock but it's about how often that happens.

I think Joe and Brock play styles are very similar. It's more about poise, placement, timing and being smarter than the defense. Joe obviously is taller so he gets more of the prototypical QB bump. The draft bias of course also comes into it. Joe's run to the SB in his 2nd season was very impressive...funny enough it's also pretty comparable to Brock's. But beating the Chiefs in the AFCCG is a little more hyped up than beating the Lions so another feather in Joe's cap.

But like I said before, give Brock time and people will see the light. Eventually draft bias falls by the wayside and people can't help but acknowledge greatness. I think Brock has the makings of that.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:

They both have a lot of intangibles that are similar, but I'd say a couple things here....Burrow most definitely has a stronger arm. He's not Allen/Herbert, but his arm is another tier above Brocks. I mean...I'll revisit this position when I see Brock have a 60 yard throw that Burrow had against the Cardinals last year, but I don't think my opinion on this will change anytime soon. Secondly....and this comes from an offensive philosophical difference...but the Niners are a run-oriented offense, and most, if not all, defensive game plans against SF focus on CMC and the run game first. Purdy has most definitely taken advantage of this, but can he consistently lead a team offensively as a pass first team? We really don't know.

When teams face the Bengals, Burrow carries far more of the burden, as they are a pass first team - and thus teams defensively gear up to face the pass attack first. He's had several 45, 50+ attempt games with 400+ yard games, and he's delivered.

We can talk all about how he's the prototypical QB and his draft status and all that, but he's absolutely stood up to his lofty status and is a top 3 type QB in the league. I don't think I can say the same thing about Purdy.

Good take and valid point about Brock not having to really run the offense the same way.

Obviously I hope it's a long time before we have to see it but people may be hesitant to crown Brock when he's got CMC out there. But really as much as I'd love to see Brock get his respect I also don't care when it comes down to it. I care about what he's doing here and I care about us having a great team in place. If he's constantly surrounded by great talent so people don't want to give him his props...fine. Just hope all that talent gets us some SB wins.

I'll let idiots like Simms play the hypothetical game as we watch Brock win a lot of games with the 49ers.

Joe is what like 2" and maybe 10lbs bigger at this point? Got smaller hands and I will disagree that he has a stronger arm. He's not regarded as some huge QB that's stupid athletic.

Brock doesn't have a top end arm as far as velocity goes. Neither does Joe. That s**t has been overlooked on his part because of where he was drafted. Go read his draft profile "Below avg arm strength" without question. Neither guy checks the box for having some huge live arm.

I will also disagree that their mobility is comparable. Brock is for sure more twitchy.

Also disagree with accuracy, especially this yr downfield. Burrow was actually pretty f**king bad. I could argue his OL overall is better than Brock's and while Kyle is an amazing play-caller acting like Taylor isn't impressive is silly.

again Joe gets all this praise for being some elite QB WHILE having elite play-makers all over the field…Brock get's s**t on for the same thing.

While I am part analytical and stats do help, sometimes it gets out of hand. When I see Purdy throw, its as you said, he may not have the strongest rocket compared to others, but I also never thought to myself that he has a noodle either. His arm strength is plenty fine imo and is above average. Basically it's not a concern to me at all.

Totally fake news.
Originally posted by Montana:

Totally fake news.

I mean objectively compared to his peers he doesn't have a great arm. Neither does Burrow. Both have other attributes that lead to their success. Overall arm strength isn't one and that's okay.
Originally posted by tankle104:
agreed. i'm long past caring anymore, i'm already convinced he's top 10 or top 5 right now. he's a baller. what chris simms and other say about him is just funny to me tbh.

Idk if I've ever seen Chris simms have a decent take, honestly. I always wonder how he is in the line of work he is - dude is just horrible at it. Lol

to be fair i think it's on purpose. privately i think he knows brock is top 5, but it makes for better engagement if he puts him #17

this is why i keep my niner coverage to mainly maiocco and lombardi. i just can't do the hot takes anymore.

Most likely, he just plays that "villain" role because he knows it garners clicks and views. That's why i just don't click or read stuff from him, Nick wright, grant etc. it's usually non sense just to incite.

I don't have to agree with a take, I just only respect it if there is substance behind it.
Here's some stats for purdy

Here's joe this yr on downfield throws

To me, brock is a bonafide top 6-7 player at worst. I'm hoping he makes the jump to "elite" this year (I believe a player needs to have a few really top notch seasons consecutively to be in that catagory - from a rule of thumb. Obviously there are outliers and situations that dispel that but I just don't like crowning someone elite after a season or season and a half).

with that said, I think burrow is a stud too. He just hasn't been healthy. When both are healthy, they are two of the better qbs in the league, IMO. I don't think burrow is miles better than Brock, if any. I just view both as studs
Share 49ersWebzone