LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 270 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
To me, brock is a bonafide top 6-7 player at worst. I'm hoping he makes the jump to "elite" this year (I believe a player needs to have a few really top notch seasons consecutively to be in that catagory - from a rule of thumb. Obviously there are outliers and situations that dispel that but I just don't like crowning someone elite after a season or season and a half).

with that said, I think burrow is a stud too. He just hasn't been healthy. When both are healthy, they are two of the better qbs in the league, IMO. I don't think burrow is miles better than Brock, if any. I just view both as studs

Oh I think Burrow is legit. It's not me hating on him. It's just the hypocrisy between the two is pretty clear based on draft status.

yeah I'm not putting Brock in that elite status. Gotta do it longer than he has, which is another funny thing I'm seeing with him. Folks need to see more from Brock… but those same folks are already crowning Love and Stroud lol. Wut?

just keep s**t objective. Opinion shows and fans overall can't seem to do that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
To me, brock is a bonafide top 6-7 player at worst. I'm hoping he makes the jump to "elite" this year (I believe a player needs to have a few really top notch seasons consecutively to be in that catagory - from a rule of thumb. Obviously there are outliers and situations that dispel that but I just don't like crowning someone elite after a season or season and a half).

with that said, I think burrow is a stud too. He just hasn't been healthy. When both are healthy, they are two of the better qbs in the league, IMO. I don't think burrow is miles better than Brock, if any. I just view both as studs

Oh I think Burrow is legit. It's not me hating on him. It's just the hypocrisy between the two is pretty clear based on draft status.

yeah I'm not putting Brock in that elite status. Gotta do it longer than he has, which is another funny thing I'm seeing with him. Folks need to see more from Brock… but those same folks are already crowning Love and Stroud lol. Wut?

I'm not crowning Love. Dude may very well be special but he was in his 4th season in the NFL. His OL was very good, especially in pass pro and while their team was banged up at the skill positions throughout the year overall they definitely have good weapons out there. People act like youth and unproven automatically mean they're not good. When it's all said and done that offense may be very scary BUT I want to see Love play with these higher expectations and over the course of the season.

Stroud however I absolutely love. I think how he played, the low expectations they had with the roster in place and how he performed not only in the regular season(a lot more consistent than Love even when he had guys hurt) and in the post season it was incredibly impressive to me. I think the kid is special and I'm bought in on CJ 100%. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong...I was bought in on Kap as well. But CJ was the only dude who was up there with Brock in terms of QB efficiency and I don't think anyone would argue he's playing with a weaker roster.

It's an exciting time in the NFL. Lots of young talented QBs out there. I just hope Brock is our version to Tom Brady. The other teams can have Aaron Rodgers...Patrick Mahomes needs to chill the F out tho lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Neither have cannons but Joe is a bigger man with a stronger arm. I think Brock has one of the weakest arms in the league among the starters and Joe is probably right about average. Mobility is comparable, probably a slight quickness edge to Brock which I think is probably mitigated by Burrow's awareness and pocket movement.

Burrow has a better WR group but I'd argue Brock's surrounding talent is still better including the running back and TE. I think he plays in a better offense with a better run game. I also think Burrow is better post snap than Brock and is probably more accurate as well.

Joe is what like 2" and maybe 10lbs bigger at this point? Got smaller hands and I will disagree that he has a stronger arm. He's not regarded as some huge QB that's stupid athletic.

Brock doesn't have a top end arm as far as velocity goes. Neither does Joe. That s**t has been overlooked on his part because of where he was drafted. Go read his draft profile "Below avg arm strength" without question. Neither guy checks the box for having some huge live arm.

I will also disagree that their mobility is comparable. Brock is for sure more twitchy.

Also disagree with accuracy, especially this yr downfield. Burrow was actually pretty f**king bad. I could argue his OL overall is better than Brock's and while Kyle is an amazing play-caller acting like Taylor isn't impressive is silly.

again Joe gets all this praise for being some elite QB WHILE having elite play-makers all over the field…Brock get's s**t on for the same thing.

While I am part analytical and stats do help, sometimes it gets out of hand. When I see Purdy throw, its as you said, he may not have the strongest rocket compared to others, but I also never thought to myself that he has a noodle either. His arm strength is plenty fine imo and is above average. Basically it's not a concern to me at all.

Agree, Joe and Steve didn't have that cannon either and they did fine. They had great careers. After a certain point, arm strength doesn't net you much. The field is only so wide and long, and the offensive line can only hold up so long and the WRs can only run so fast. Accuracy, timing, and ability to read the defense is far more important at that point, and that's where Brock has a ton of room to improve on.

I agree that a QB needs to show his talent for more than one or even two years. After the 3rd year we can see whther he's a flash in the pan or a legit long term star. He'll have plenty of starts and enough big games to make a fair evaluation. He'll also have more than enough time to be comfortable in the system.

It's okay to get excited by a young QB or any player that flashes early on but maintaining excellence in the NFL is a hard thing to do.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
How is he more talented? I don't see a single throw that he does that Brock can't do. Neither has cannons, neither are physically elite, both are elite pre/post snap, both have had top end offensive talent around them…one gets praise beyond believe and the other gets mostly s**t on for being in a good situation.

I like Joe a lot, if I had to pick a QB not named Mahomes, burrow would be up there. Overall I also don't see much of a difference between either guy outside of where they were drafted.

This.

The arm strength talking point has always been cringe. As is the guys around him crap. His arm is great, playing is great. Burrow gets injured quite a bit and I don't trust that. A weaker o-line doesn't help. But Burrow needs to bulk a bit or something. Feel like he could use a few extra lbs. Needs to drink more milk, eat more salmon, peanut butter smoothies or whatever lol. Honestly, I would take a healthy, thick, Brock over Burrow rn. Maybe that is nuts but I like this bulked up Brock I am seeing too. Guy is going to be fierce. Burrow needs to go to Sprouts and fill up a cart or two lol.

Agree, if Brock has the WRs to take a 3 yard slant and run 90 yards for a TD, how strong does your arm need to be? Pearsall and the rest of the WR squad would be like Elway with his cannon, from a stat point of view.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Chance:
Brock's arm is not noticeably different than Burrow's. I think the Brock has a weak arm thing is fake news. His clocked speed of 55-56 mph puts him slightly above average for QBs. Last year he was still recovering, and his arm wasn't ever a concern despite that fact.

The only real physical limitation I see is his grip on wet balls.

Totally fake news.

I mean objectively compared to his peers he doesn't have a great arm. Neither does Burrow. Both have other attributes that lead to their success. Overall arm strength isn't one and that's okay.

The argument is whether he has a weak arm, not a great arm. From all the throws I've seen, I haven't seen a weak arm. Average, sure. Great, no. Weak, no.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I agree that a QB needs to show his talent for more than one or even two years. After the 3rd year we can see whther he's a flash in the pan or a legit long term star. He'll have plenty of starts and enough big games to make a fair evaluation. He'll also have more than enough time to be comfortable in the system.

It's okay to get excited by a young QB or any player that flashes early on but maintaining excellence in the NFL is a hard thing to do.

I think it's ok to be Optimistic on Brock. After a severe arm injury he just blows up a ton of 49er QB records. Now he's 💯% healthy and has a whole offseason to rep with his WR's. He's got some offensive line talent infusion and some WR talent infusion. I don't see him dropping off this year. I'm really excited to see Aiyuk, Pearsall, Deebo, Jauan, Kittle etc... with a possibly redesigned offense to take advantage of Brock's more familiarity with the offense.
The argument is whether he has a weak arm, not a great arm. From all the throws I've seen, I haven't seen a weak arm. Average, sure. Great, no. Weak, no.

I'm not trying to argue back and forth about his arm strength mainly because I don't think it's a critical skill to be a good QB. He has enough arm strength to run an offense. It's still one of the weakest arms in the league. His motion is long. Burrow doesn't have a cannon but he is an effortless thrower. You can see him flick a 40 yard pass going across his body moving to his left or hit a 60 yard pass in the air with a simple step into the throw. Brock isn't doing either. It's ok.

I think the argument is what is his arm compared to the rest of the NFL's starting QBs. It's for sure bottom of the list, doesn't mean it's "weak" he can improve on his velocity (a little) and hopefully that's a thing he's doing this off season now that's he's healthy.

you don't need a cannon to be great. He's shown arm strength isn't everything. He can make the throws needed in this system.

my debate is Burrow doesn't have some great arm either. It's marginally better at best imo. Both are similar to Brees there and he was slinging it for years
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 18, 2024 at 9:16 AM ]
I think the argument is what is his arm compared to the rest of the NFL's starting QBs. It's for sure bottom of the list, doesn't mean it's "weak" he can improve on his velocity and hopefully that's a thing he's doing this off season now that's he's healthy.

you don't need a cannon to be great. He's shown arm strength isn't everything. He can make the throws needed in this system.

my debate is Burrow doesn't have some great arm either. It's marginally better imo. Both are similar to Brees there and he was slinging it for years

JaMarcus Russell was one of the most talented prospects, and I've seen a lot of arm talent from Zach Wilson. TB12 is on record saying that kind of talent isn't what being NFL QB is all about. If you look at Brady the traits that pop are leadership and work ethic. I believe Brock has both.

Originally posted by Giedi:
I think it's ok to be Optimistic on Brock. After a severe arm injury he just blows up a ton of 49er QB records. Now he's 💯% healthy and has a whole offseason to rep with his WR's. He's got some offensive line talent infusion and some WR talent infusion. I don't see him dropping off this year. I'm really excited to see Aiyuk, Pearsall, Deebo, Jauan, Kittle etc... with a possibly redesigned offense to take advantage of Brock's more familiarity with the offense.

All of this.

He looks really healthy, bulking up.. and all that prep time, more familiarity with the team, becoming even more comforable..I mean the dude could srsly be downright scary in a good way this year. I sure as heck wouldn't want to play against the Niners lol.

MNF against Rodgers /Jets

45 SF
24 Jets

LGGGGGGG lol
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think the argument is what is his arm compared to the rest of the NFL's starting QBs. It's for sure bottom of the list, doesn't mean it's "weak" he can improve on his velocity and hopefully that's a thing he's doing this off season now that's he's healthy.

my debate is Burrow doesn't have some great arm either. It's marginally better imo. Both are similar to Brees there and he was slinging it for years

JaMarcus Russell was one of the most talented prospects, and I've seen a lot of arm talent from Zach Wilson. TB12 is on record saying that kind of talent isn't what being NFL QB is all about. If you look at Brady the traits that pop are leadership and work ethic. I believe Brock has both.

I know it's not all that matters. No one is gonna say yeah I'll take the NFL QB with below avg arm when building a QB though. He's gotta have other attributes to make up for some of that, which he does. Same as Burrow. Also if all you have is a strong arm, you're not gonna make it in the league…plenty of examples of that.

Tom consistently worked on his velocity throughout his career for a reason. He never had a cannon coming into the league, but wanted a stronger arm and it became a plus arm later in his career…..All the other qualities are what made him the GOAT though. Same as Manning, Brees and Montana.

Brock had some floaters up there this yr that could have changed some s**t…he will get better and hopefully his arm strength is something he thinks he needs a little more of. I actually think he said that was something he was gonna work on in the offseason
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I'm not trying to argue back and forth about his arm strength mainly because I don't think it's a critical skill to be a good QB. He has enough arm strength to run an offense. It's still one of the weakest arms in the league. His motion is long. Burrow doesn't have a cannon but he is an effortless thrower. You can see him flick a 40 yard pass going across his body moving to his left or hit a 60 yard pass in the air with a simple step into the throw. Brock isn't doing either. It's ok.

Also I think it's funny how everyone hated on Lance's throwing motion (for sure wasn't the best) but next to no one talks about Brock's throwing motion which is longer as well.

Yeah I think Brock did some elite things but I can't say he's overall elite until I see him do it longer.
I also don't understand the stroud and love crowing. I think stroud is awesome and had an incredible rookie year - I believe he will be really good but I want to see it first before saying he's anything.

love, I'm more pessimistic on. He had a great 7 or so game stretch but I thought he played poorly against us in the NFCC. To his credit, he was much better than I expected, he balled at times last year.

its one thing to ball out when you carry no expectations, let's see how these guys do now that everyone is expecting them to ball out every week and compete for chips. To me, that's when you really find out what a player is.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

To me, what sticks out when I look at the all time greats - isnt their physical ability. Sure some have great physical traits like Marino/Elway etc

but what I usually see is great leadership, work ethic, obsessive love for game, excellent pre and post snap reading, excellent processing, excellent accuracy, intense competitiveness, insatiable desire to improve and win. There are more but I'm essentially saying is that as long as their physical tools meet a certain criteria, the physical tools won't make or break how great they will be or can be.

now if you can find a 6'5, cannon arm, and speedy/quick with all those mentioned above - that's ideal. But I'll take a 6'1 guy with a good arm and shifty with those traits over a guy who doesn't have all those traits but great physical traits.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 18, 2024 at 10:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone