LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 274 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Fixed*
Never heard of her

Jims will end up a Dallas cheerleader after Rams send him packing.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Can we get any more stats? I'm not knocking you but the stat heads keep coming up with more and more ways to measure players. The only stat that matters is wins. Brock keeps winning.

So did Jimmy G when he was here.

We all know that JG's problem was injuries. He just couldn't stay healthy. If he had stayed healthy they probably wouldn't have reached for Lance and might not have drafted Purdy.
We all know that JG's problem was injuries. He just couldn't stay healthy. If he had stayed healthy they probably wouldn't have reached for Lance and might not have drafted Purdy.

Yea I don't think so. He definitely had more problems than just staying healthy.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Can we get any more stats? I'm not knocking you but the stat heads keep coming up with more and more ways to measure players. The only stat that matters is wins. Brock keeps winning.

So did Jimmy G when he was here.

Agree with this, cause Jimmy had a pretty good year in 2019. If he had stayed healthy, I doubt they draft Trey Lance. But I think they still would've drafted Purdy, there was no real back up.
Originally posted by genus49:
Funny thing is some people will use that as a knock on Purdy...ignoring the fact that he had the 3rd best non PA passing QB rating.

Well...I don't take too much away from pretty much every one of these so-called 'advanced stats' but the first thing that stood out was the discrepancy between drop back and play action passing. Those stats are incomplete because it doesn't account for down and distance, the score at the time of the attempt, etc. etc. Yeah, Purdy had some awesome stats last year, but he did so in a run-oriented system where CMC is clearly the straw that stirs the Niner offensive drink. Can Purdy be the guy where he'd dominate even if facing defenses week after week geared to stop him and the passing game? That is still unknown.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Funny thing is some people will use that as a knock on Purdy...ignoring the fact that he had the 3rd best non PA passing QB rating.

Well...I don't take too much away from pretty much every one of these so-called 'advanced stats' but the first thing that stood out was the discrepancy between drop back and play action passing. Those stats are incomplete because it doesn't account for down and distance, the score at the time of the attempt, etc. etc. Yeah, Purdy had some awesome stats last year, but he did so in a run-oriented system where CMC is clearly the straw that stirs the Niner offensive drink. Can Purdy be the guy where he'd dominate even if facing defenses week after week geared to stop him and the passing game? That is still unknown.

Personally, I think Baltimore and KC did the best in stopping Purdy because they are - in a sense - a pass defense first scheme vs stop the run first scheme. I think both KC and Baltimore did enough to confuse and slow down Purdy and his passing and one reason is Purdy's inexperience with those kinds of blitzing schemes. When facing zone blitzing teams, the great equalizer is the run - and (just my opinion) but Brock's inexperience made him hesitant in audibling to runs to calm down those zone blitzes and force the defense to go base defense.

Kyle tends to pass when he gets stressed, and Purdy didn't want to contradict that possibly because of inexperience. Even I wouldn't want to contradict a guy like Kyle who is a master at calling the right play at the right time, but again, Purdy has to have the courage and confidence to protect Kyle from himself - specially in the playoffs where it seems Kyle gets more stressed out than usual.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RickyRoma:

I think he can, if he has Pearsall *and* Aiyuk. If these two guys play in combo and with their route running and precise timing skills with Brock, I think Purdy can definitely move the ball successfully even against defenses like Baltimore's defense last year. Another Key is having an offensive line that can pass block for 2.5 seconds against the best defenses in the NFL, consistently. I.e. they can call the right protections and pickup those complex blitzes consistently.
My current ranking

1. Mahomes
2. Rodgers
3. Purdy
4. Allen
5. Burrow
6. Stroud
7. Jackson
8. Love
9. Goff
10. Stafford

11. Herbert
12. Tua
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
My current ranking

1. Mahomes
2. Rodgers
3. Purdy
4. Allen
5. Burrow
6. Stroud
7. Jackson
8. Love
9. Goff
10. Stafford

11. Herbert
12. Tua

You got #1 correct
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
You got #1 correct

Lol. 5-8 isn't terrible either.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
You got #1 correct

Lol. 5-8 isn't terrible either.

it's a good list, it's hard to rank these guys all over the NFL, and each guy has a unique situation
Rodgers will have a fine campaign, he's also 40 and coming off major injury and a DNP season. so i would certainly take him down the list a ways. i also like Herbert more than Goff. I don't really like Tua much. I like Lamar, Hurts, and I think a guy in line for a bounce back, is Lawrence.
it's a good list, it's hard to rank these guys all over the NFL, and each guy has a unique situation
Rodgers will have a fine campaign, he's also 40 and coming off major injury and a DNP season. so i would certainly take him down the list a ways. i also like Herbert more than Goff. I don't really like Tua much. I like Lamar, Hurts, and I think a guy in line for a bounce back, is Lawrence.

Disagree it's a good list outside of those slots we already mentioned. Everyone has an opinion though.

Disagree it's a good list outside of those slots we already mentioned. Everyone has an opinion though.

i do think a healthy Stafford, with Puka, Kupp, McVay, Williams, now that's a problem.
i do think a healthy Stafford, with Puka, Kupp, McVay, Williams, now that's a problem.

He's obviously better than Jared Goff, lol.

Only explanation to have Goff higher is he's younger and I guess a person could trick themselves into thinking he might have a better/longer future going forward… but this wouldn't make sense with Rodgers at the 2 spot.
He's obviously better than Jared Goff, lol.

Only explanation to have Goff higher is he's younger and I guess a person could trick themselves into thinking he might have a better/longer future going forward… but this wouldn't make sense with Rodgers at the 2 spot.

as he is from Berkeley, I like Goff. nice to see him get recognition. he's a solid / good QB. he's got a lil of the Jimmy issue of he's up the creek if the play breaks down or requires something off schedule. pretty statuesque. he benefits from a great OL, great ground game, and WR who is elite at sitting down open vs zone. Campbell has done great work building up a sad franchise into a strong squad. they are no doubt gunning for us, as we ended their season.
Share 49ersWebzone