There are 186 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
So I'm curious - I've heard that Kyle puts the responsibility of the o line protection on the center. Is that common or unusual?

im hoping that Kyle will eventually build the faith, trust, cohesion with Brock that he allows Brock to make those kind of decisions. It's hard to become a legitimate field general qb when you don't have that kind of final say. It'll be interesting if we see Kyle do this with Brock. If not this year, maybe next, when he has even more experience seeing various defenses.

I'm not totally sure. Like to know what Matt LaFleur side with Rogers? Same scheme, but you know he has full command of that offense.

it's just weird to me that the center would have control of all the protections. Like he can see a safety coming downfield. Kyle has got to keep evolving the offense and getting his soon to be expensive QB more control. All

Yeah, I'll try and see if I can find any information on that. That's a good reference - even Stafford with McVay would be interesting to know.

this is the main argument I've heard - a center doesn't have the complete visual that a qb does. Centers pretty much can't really see past the d line. They can't tell if a CB is showing blitz or how a safety is looking etc.

which makes me think the protection call is more complicated in Kyle's system than just the center doing it all. Maybe that was just with Jimmy? I'd be really curious if someone asked Kyle this at a press conference
Will Kyle ever allow this?

maybe one day lol
Stop lol
Brock took a week to get back to the grind after the SB lost. Kinda like Rice after the a loss in NFCCG. Took me at least 2months to get over a game we should've won with the talent on the team against the Chiefs.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Brock took a week to get back to the grind after the SB lost. Kinda like Rice after the a loss in NFCCG. Took me at least 2months to get over a game we should've won with the talent on the team against the Chiefs.

For real, I couldn't have anything niner in my life for at least 6 weeks. Lmao

its cool that it motivates him and he got into hard core grinding. Hopefully it helps a chip come to fruition this year.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

For real, I couldn't have anything niner in my life for at least 6 weeks. Lmao

its cool that it motivates him and he got into hard core grinding. Hopefully it helps a chip come to fruition this year.

I just cried into my Brock jersey, for the second time lol. I couldn't look at it for a while after that..made me sad. Yeah, took me about 2 months? But 3 months to hear the word, "49ers" and not get sad. Lol. If it wasn't in Vegas, maybe I wouldn't have been as bummed but damn.

Onto the next though.
Brock lifts the trophy in Santa Clara baby.

really interesting interview with Brady explaining how he played and prepped etc.brady talking about how important the continuity of coaches and players were to their long term success makes me drool at the thought of Brock and Kyle together for a long period.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 21, 2024 at 6:22 PM ]
In that Tom Brady interview he said that it's cool you're working out in the off season with random WRs but that's only good for helping yourself and not your team.

that it's best to do that in the off season with guys on your team to help learn each other and build better chemistry. I've read that since Pearsall and cowing are both from Arizona and that Brock and Pearsall have been training together. Hopefully it builds great chemistry that flows into camp.
In that Tom Brady interview he said that it's cool you're working out in the off season with random WRs but that's only good for helping yourself and not your team.

that it's best to do that in the off season with guys on your team to help learn each other and build better chemistry. I've read that since Pearsall and cowing are both from Arizona and that Brock and Pearsall have been training together. Hopefully it builds great chemistry that flows into camp.

very small sample size but from OTA reports it looks like Purdy and Pearsall already have chemistry
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

maybe one day lol
Stop lol

I mean the QB can change a play to the other play Kyle has provided (that's when you hear the QB say "can")…As far as I know, changing protections isn't a QB thing.
Yeah, I'll try and see if I can find any information on that. That's a good reference - even Stafford with McVay would be interesting to know.

this is the main argument I've heard - a center doesn't have the complete visual that a qb does. Centers pretty much can't really see past the d line. They can't tell if a CB is showing blitz or how a safety is looking etc.

which makes me think the protection call is more complicated in Kyle's system than just the center doing it all. Maybe that was just with Jimmy? I'd be really curious if someone asked Kyle this at a press conference

As far as I know it's been with every QB Kyle has coached

maybe one day lol
Stop lol

I mean the QB can change a play to the other play Kyle has provided (that's when you hear the QB say "can")…As far as I know, changing protections isn't a QB thing.
I just saying it's a little early to be blaming the coach for holding the QB back. Plus it doesn't matter who calls protection if one of the OL brain farts the play

maybe one day lol
Stop lol

I just saying it's a little early to be blaming the coach for holding the QB back. Plus it doesn't matter who calls protection if one of the OL brain farts the play

I view it more as a growth point for a qb that has to be earned by Kyle. Go ahead and look at his history of qbs - I think Matt schaub and Jimmy are the only ones he had for more than 2 straight years as his starter.

if Brock puts together another awesome season and shows growth (which I believe he will).. he may start to change his system design to have more of a field general.

realistically, he has built a system that has had ever changing QBs and them not calling all the o line protection calls just simplifies their job. So I imagine that if he gets a longer stretch with someone like Brock - things will continue to open up. He probably would of done that with Matt Ryan if he was there another year or two, is my guess.
You are so right on that

Has nothing to do about blaming so an so…it's his offense and it's been pretty great.

doesn't mean it can't evolve and improve. The QB should have control of the protections. It absolutely matters who calls it and can see where the pressure is coming from.
I view it more as a growth point for a qb that has to be earned by Kyle. Go ahead and look at his history of qbs - I think Matt schaub and Jimmy are the only ones he had for more than 2 straight years as his starter.

if Brock puts together another awesome season and shows growth (which I believe he will).. he may start to change his system design to have more of a field general.

realistically, he has built a system that has had ever changing QBs and them not calling all the o line protection calls just simplifies their job. So I imagine that if he gets a longer stretch with someone like Brock - things will continue to open up. He probably would of done that with Matt Ryan if he was there another year or two, is my guess.

I mean Ryan has been a good pro QB for a while. It's an assumption but I'll bet he called protections prior to Kyle being there with success.

It could be just how Kyle runs his offense…if that's the case the value of a great center is that more important to this system.

also I agree it has nothing to do with blaming anyone…schemes should change and evolve though. Seems like we tend to have more of an issue with teams that blitz a ton with good man cover DBs. Adapt if you want to take the next step.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 22, 2024 at 11:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone