There are 150 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Giedi:
What shocked me about Purdy, was that in his first game he looked like a mobile Jimmy, playing in his 7+ year pro level standards - as a *rookie* in his first NFL game. I mean he also looked good against the chiefs in the loss earlier in that year too. But dang, that surprised the heck out of me. Then the next week he blows out the GOAT. What an unbelievable QB find. Now Dobbs and Mordecai kind look like Brock 2.0 in a sense. I'm eager to see what both these new QBs bring to the team in pre-season.

We were all in Brock shock lol.

I won't ever forget the Tampa game or the 1st Seattle game. I knew he was the guy during Seattle for sure! I won't forget where I was or the feeling. Just astonishment really. I was walking and literally stopped in my tracks and took it all in for a bit, we were witnessing history. Now he is bulking up and looks even more fierce! Lol and ppl have said he doesn't look athletic? What are they smoking? Lol

That one pass (I think) in the Tampa Bay game vs Brady, Brock eludes a rusher comming at him from the right and throws a strike - dead on the money - to Deebo, in stride, in between two defenders, and that made me go bonkers. I've only seen that a couple of times- and that was with our Legends. I was going Holy Smokes! Who *IS* this Brock Purdy! and ever since then I've been a Brock fan.

He also gives me that Joe Montana vibe when he plays.
That one pass (I think) in the Tampa Bay game vs Brady, Brock eludes a rusher comming at him from the right and throws a strike - dead on the money - to Deebo, in stride, in between two defenders, and that made me go bonkers. I've only seen that a couple of times- and that was with our Legends. I was going Holy Smokes! Who *IS* this Brock Purdy! and ever since then I've been a Brock fan.

He also gives me that Joe Montana vibe when he plays.

Tampa game, that is where the Purdy chant started, right?
It was so cool to see the Raiders game that season in person and chant "Purdy" with the crowd:). And even sweeter cause a very obnoxious and rude Raiders fan behind me got dead silent after the win:).
Originally posted by tankle104:
I was dumb founded during the dolphins game. I started talking to myself out loud like "what the hell is going on?" Or "his poise is incredible, especially for a rookie".

it was pretty crazy to witness. Especially since I remember saying "if the last pick in the draft, a 7th round rookie is playing for us, we are effed". lol so glad I was wrong

Yeah, I was really impressed with the Dolphins game but I was still discouraged by the Jimmy injury. My thoughts during the Dolphins game were that Brock took over like he has been playing forever, looked calm and collected and there was this ease I had about that ..but I was still thinking, he was a rookie and I was fixated on Jimbo's ankle and how crappy that was.

Honestly, the ease I had in the Miami game was similar to the ease I had with Joe playing qb..he commanded the whole game, owned the field..like Joe. But I was so thinking about Jimmy, that I had doubts about our season. Then the Tampa game happened and I honestly didn't think of Jimmy one time during that game! Being honest, not one time haha.

I'll be honest, I pretty much forgot about Jimmy immediately. Albeit, I didn't think it was season ending at the time. I liked Jimmy too (although I knew he was limited but I didn't think he was bad).

The best part was that Brock was consistent down that stretch - that was all I was really concerned about, was him to "come back down to earth" but it never really happened.

what he's done has been special and I don't see any reason to believe why he wouldn't continue being special. I think we are going to be in for a magical 2024.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You're getting it twisted like I said he would be a good coach. I simply said it would be interesting to see. But keep going you're doing great.

I think as long as you love the game of football, you will find your ability to teach and communicate. Just like anything in life, if you love it, you will grow into it. Brian Griese didn't have any background in coaching prior to working with Kyle (as far as I know) but he's grown into one heck of a QB coach.
That still falls into the great players don't become great coaches
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You're getting it twisted like I said he would be a good coach. I simply said it would be interesting to see. But keep going you're doing great.

I think as long as you love the game of football, you will find your ability to teach and communicate. Just like anything in life, if you love it, you will grow into it. Brian Griese didn't have any background in coaching prior to working with Kyle (as far as I know) but he's grown into one heck of a QB coach.
That still falls into the great players don't become great coaches

I dunno Demeco Ryan is doing ok.

I dunno Demeco Ryan is doing ok.

Yeah, I think a player needs great coaching to become and sustain greatness. If their coach is constantly putting them in bad play calls/position and coaching them up on wrong things - it'll impact their game.

i think it's a combination. Last seasons lack of effort is on the players but the coaches too. The D played a good game in the superbowl (until the end) after the ass reaming by lynch and co after NFCC
Wow, still no love for Brock. When I saw this article's title I immediately thought Brock but the only 49er was CMC (last season was his best chance imo) and other QBs like Tua, Goff, Love, and Kyler Murray (lmao).

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-mvp-dark-horses-jared-goff-tyreek-hill-christian-mccaffrey-among-potential-candidates
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Wow, still no love for Brock. When I saw this article's title I immediately thought Brock but the only 49er was CMC (last season was his best chance imo) and other QBs like Tua, Goff, Love, and Kyler Murray (lmao).

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-mvp-dark-horses-jared-goff-tyreek-hill-christian-mccaffrey-among-potential-candidates

I think Brock and Stroud will put on a show this year and that will be the MVP race. Lawrence will be painfully (below) average, as will Tua. A bounce-back year for Burrow. Love is a mystery.
Originally posted by 49erKing:

Almost all sport media pundits are clueless and useless beyond the outrage clickbait. If they were worth something then Mayock would've done a far better job as the Raiders GM etc.
As long as the Niners win and have a shot at the SB I don't care where the media ranks Brock. It doesn't matter. If he can lead them to a SB win then he'll get his respect. There are other QBs that didn't get the praise they should have until they got that SB win. Manning didn't get his until the Giants won a SB. Even Peyton was often called out for not being able to win the big games until he finally won one. Same for Matt Stafford. He his 7 seasons over 4000 yards andone over 5000 but never got his respect until he led the Rams to a SB win.

Brock will get his. It just takes time in the league unless you're a physical specimen that has everyone salivating. That's not Brock. He just knows how to play.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
As long as the Niners win and have a shot at the SB I don't care where the media ranks Brock. It doesn't matter. If he can lead them to a SB win then he'll get his respect. There are other QBs that didn't get the praise they should have until they got that SB win. Manning didn't get his until the Giants won a SB. Even Peyton was often called out for not being able to win the big games until he finally won one. Same for Matt Stafford. He his 7 seasons over 4000 yards andone over 5000 but never got his respect until he led the Rams to a SB win.

Brock will get his. It just takes time in the league unless you're a physical specimen that has everyone salivating. That's not Brock. He just knows how to play.

he has Montana salivating at least
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Lots are probably salivating to see this guy play this year lol 🤤
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Lots are probably salivating to see this guy play this year lol 🤤

It's a drool fest over here for me. 🤤🤤

Ive never been so excited to follow a training camp. Lol hopefully Brock takes another step forward and we tear up the league.
Originally posted by tankle104:
It's a drool fest over here for me. 🤤🤤

Ive never been so excited to follow a training camp. Lol hopefully Brock takes another step forward and we tear up the league.

Me either, I expect more deep and dirty throws by BP. Full Brock Brees in effect.
Share 49ersWebzone