There are 160 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Edit
[ Edited by captveg on Jun 27, 2024 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Ask anyQB is he would prefer a strong running game and the answer would be yes. It doesn't mean you can't win without one but it places a huge burden on the QB, WRs and OL. Linemen prefer run blocking and are usually better at it.

Ask any QB to give them any improvement to their team, and I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of 'yes' answers. The point wasn't whether it would improve the situation or not, but the effectiveness of a quarterback when he does/does not have a running game. It is one major aspect that separates a quarterbacks ability. Some guys can dominate throwing the ball without a running game, ie Dan Marino. Some guys rely more on the running game/play action to open up stuff for their passing game, like Troy Aikman or Boomer Esiason. Some guys flat out need the running game for them to be effective at all.

The original point is, while I see this comparison to Brees when it comes to Purdy, Brees was another guy who was throwing 600+ attempts every year, and everyone knew what he was gonna do...and he still put up 5000+ yards, 30+ TD's every year....because he was a flat out stud. We haven't seen Purdy even close in what is asked of him, so to say its premature to compare would be an understatement.
Lol can't wait to see Brock Brees lift the trophy.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Brees having sean payton and all the talent around him was never used against him

When Brock Purdy is the driving force of the offense with 550, 600+ attempts every year, and every defense in the world is gearing up to stop their passing game first, and still putting up Brees-type numbers....then they will go a long way to stop using that sort of stuff against him. The fact is, the Niner offense runs - no pun intended - through CMC and the running game first....and opposing defenses game plan against that first. This is not to say what Purdy is, or isn't, but it remains unknown as to how good Purdy would be if asked to throw it 40+ times a game, and defensive coaches spending the week focused on stopping the Niner passing game first.

No the passing attempts have nothing to do with it. Brees was drafted as the 2nd qb after Vick, so there were expectations for him. The criticism around Purdy still involves those who believe since he was taken last in the draft, that he can't really be this good.
No the passing attempts have nothing to do with it. Brees was drafted as the 2nd qb after Vick, so there were expectations for him. The criticism around Purdy still involves those who believe since he was taken last in the draft, that he can't really be this good.

.....and as I said, if Purdy starts having seasons where he is throwing 600+ times with success, where the passing game is at the fore of the Niner offense, then the doubts will disappear. The criticism 'still involves'....because this hasn't been the case yet.

The doubts disappeared (if there were many) for successful QB's like Kurt Warner and Tony Romo....and they went undrafted.

.....and as I said, if Purdy starts having seasons where he is throwing 600+ times with success, where the passing game is at the fore of the Niner offense, then the doubts will disappear. The criticism 'still involves'....because this hasn't been the case yet.

The doubts disappeared (if there were many) for successful QB's like Kurt Warner and Tony Romo....and they went undrafted.

Attempts don't matter, no one is critiquing him because he's not throwing more. Its about consistently playing great and winning, just like he's been doing. Over time they will quiet down.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Jun 27, 2024 at 1:08 PM ]
Attempts don't matter, no one is critiquing him because he's not throwing more. Its about consistently playing great and winning, just like he's been doing. Over time they will quiet down.

Given the context of this discussion, using Drew Brees as an example and how he has dominated throwing the football....yes....attempts matter.

Again....if you're Brees and you're in a pass first offense, throwing 40+ times a game, game in game out, and every defense knows you're throwing the football and they've gameplanned all week to stop the pass.....and they still can't stop you? That is, in general, why Drew Brees is gonna be a first ballot HOF.

Given the context of this discussion, using Drew Brees as an example and how he has dominated throwing the football....yes....attempts matter.

Again....if you're Brees and you're in a pass first offense, throwing 40+ times a game, game in game out, and every defense knows you're throwing the football and they've gameplanned all week to stop the pass.....and they still can't stop you? That is, in general, why Drew Brees is gonna be a first ballot HOF.

I'm not criticizing Brees, he's a legend, and just one example I used of a qb with great talent and coaching around him that never got criticized for it. Purdy does though, mainly because he's Mr irrelevant and his doubters cant accept it…yet.
Once Purdy puts together another awesome season, which he will, all the doubts and naysayers will change - or a majority of them. Consistency at a high level will make people believers.

I'm not worried about it. It's clear how good Brock is, to me, he will just get better. He's making the offense his own and becoming more of a field general and ensuring guys are doing what he wants and how he wants. That will increase his ability and it'll be a beautiful thing.

lmaoo
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 27, 2024 at 8:30 PM ]
Bunch of losers and suckers. The tape don't lie.

Originally posted by tankle104:

Not sure about a wild stat but an obvious one, pretty cool too.
Originally posted by Montana:
Bunch of losers and suckers. The tape don't lie.

Originally posted by tankle104:

Not sure about a wild stat but an obvious one, pretty cool too.

I think it's extremely impressive that in 2 playoff runs is now one of the most winningest qbs in the league.

if I'm not mistaken, he is the near the top for most playoff wins in nfl history in the first two years. I don't think he's one but he's right up there.

He's just a winner and if he takes another step forward - holy cheap this is going to an orgasmic 15 year run.

Ok we can play that game…..if Brock had Brees's OL with their offense and Sean Payton, he would have 2 SB's. That's 1 more than Brees
Share 49ersWebzone