There are 133 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Purdy's arm ain't bad either.

Yeah. I have never understood the criticisms about his arm.

Agree 💯%, just give Brock a top 10 defense and 99% of the time he won't need a howitzer arm to win games. In Superbowls, though, he'll need at least a top 5 defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I'm not sure how it's still a discussion or why people don't understand. Purdy doesn't have an elite arm. When you don't have an elite arm, you can't be as late on throws or fit things in at different times. It doesn't mean you can't succeed without one, but it's nice to have!

Literally every QB in NFL history, starter/backup/etc, can throw a football 60 yards in the air so it isn't about that and never has been

Purdy has the potential to do damage with his mind the way Brady did. Kyle just needs to get the right offensive skill players to enhance that mind. Pearsall is just that kind of guy, and hopefully he elevates Purdy's mind the way Rice did Steve and Joe.
Purdy has the potential to do damage with his mind the way Brady did. Kyle just needs to get the right offensive skill players to enhance that mind. Pearsall is just that kind of guy, and hopefully he elevates Purdy's mind the way Rice did Steve and Joe.

Agreed! Purdy has been great. I think people get defensive for no reason about his arm strength. His arm strength is not great but he has been a great QB.
I'm not sure how it's still a discussion or why people don't understand. Purdy doesn't have an elite arm. When you don't have an elite arm, you can't be as late on throws or fit things in at different times. It doesn't mean you can't succeed without one, but it's nice to have!

Literally every QB in NFL history, starter/backup/etc, can throw a football 60 yards in the air so it isn't about that and never has been

Idk about that, it was more of the QB than WR
I need some gosh dam Purdy highlights.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Having a guy like Rice helps any QB even the great ones.

Hard to see Pearsall becoming a Rice for us but if he's a good WR who can win vs zone or man then he'll make things easier for Brock.

I don't want to speak for Giedi but I imagine him bringing up the mental stuff was about chemistry with the QB and ability of WRs to read coverages the same way the QB does. The great ones(even if not Jerry Rice level) allow options for the QB that may not be there based on what's drawn up.

Mahomes and Kelce ad lib all the time and make a ton of plays for the Chiefs that Reid gets credit for. It's a great bonus for a QB to have WRs who can in essence read their mind and get to the spot they want them to be. I think Aiyuk was heading to that with Brock and I wish we got his deal done so they can continue to work on their relationship but Pearsall and Cowing for that matter live in Arizona where Brock is. They can really build some great chemistry together if they work at it.
Happy Fourth all!
Another day closer to TC and a championship season. BP looks primed and ready to finish this thing. Fourth quarter boys, get 'er done!

It's not about how far you can throw. Like you said nearly every QB can throw 60 yards or more in the air. It's more about how quickly the ball gets there. Some QBs can deliver a 30 or 40 yard throw on a line which gives the DB less time to react. Reality in the NFL is that there aren't s many deep patterns as there once was. Most offenses throw about 80% or more of their passes under 20 yards.
Agree 💯%, just give Brock a top 10 defense and 99% of the time he won't need a howitzer arm to win games. In Superbowls, though, he'll need at least a top 5 defense.

He is a top 5 QB, he will be able to do it with an average D.

He has elite deep passing numbers, among the best in the NFL.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:

He has elite deep passing numbers, among the best in the NFL.

They also want him to be able to throw a laser 100 yds while on his knees.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by tankle104:
It's crazy that with one of the greatest qbs ever, retired with essentially every passing record, he mustered only one Super Bowl appearance. He clearly isn't great at building a complete roster to ensure he can compete annually. Lol

Kyle isn't perfect but I think he's an excellent overall coach and still very young, relatively speaking. We are in great hands. THIS IS GOING TO BE A MAGICAL SEASON BABY!

While I prefer Shanahan to Payton, got to admit NO was cursed in a couple of them playoffs. Referees screwed them once and that safety letting Diggs score on that one play at the end of the game. No telling how far they woulda went but they were cursed for a couple/few years

Super Bowl win > Never winning the Super Bowl and ALWAYS CHOKING.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 4, 2024 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by tankle104:
It's crazy that with one of the greatest qbs ever, retired with essentially every passing record, he mustered only one Super Bowl appearance. He clearly isn't great at building a complete roster to ensure he can compete annually. Lol

Kyle isn't perfect but I think he's an excellent overall coach and still very young, relatively speaking. We are in great hands. THIS IS GOING TO BE A MAGICAL SEASON BABY!

While I prefer Shanahan to Payton, got to admit NO was cursed in a couple of them playoffs. Referees screwed them once and that safety letting Diggs score on that one play at the end of the game. No telling how far they woulda went but they were cursed for a couple/few years

Super Bowl win > Never winning the Super Bowl and ALWAYS CHOKING.

Payton has been a HC in the NFL 16 years and has 9 playoff wins. Kyle has been one for 7 years and has 8.

The SB run the Saints had was great. Having Drew Brees running your offense definitely helps. So does Brett Favre doing what he does best and throw a key pick when they were getting into FG range. All the man had to do was run out of bounds vs throwing across his body and Vikings had a chance to kick the game winner and their kicker was perfect 50+ yards out and 8/9 from 40-49. What an amazing coaching job by Sean forcing Favre into making that throw.

Hell he did it again vs Peyton Manning in the SB with the Colts driving to tie it up late. Shanahan should really find out how Payton is manipulating these QBs into making those throws like that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Agreed! Purdy has been great. I think people get defensive for no reason about his arm strength. His arm strength is not great but he has been a great QB.

I've always maintained that his arm is stronger than Joe's. Now of course, pretty much every athlete today is bigger, stronger and faster than athletes of 20+ years ago.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

A completed pass is a combination of QB and WR. In Kyle's offensive system, the mind is as important as the athletic ability.
Share 49ersWebzone