QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I'm not sure how it's still a discussion or why people don't understand. Purdy doesn't have an elite arm. When you don't have an elite arm, you can't be as late on throws or fit things in at different times. It doesn't mean you can't succeed without one, but it's nice to have!

Literally every QB in NFL history, starter/backup/etc, can throw a football 60 yards in the air so it isn't about that and never has been

Purdy has the potential to do damage with his mind the way Brady did. Kyle just needs to get the right offensive skill players to enhance that mind. Pearsall is just that kind of guy, and hopefully he elevates Purdy's mind the way Rice did Steve and Joe.
Idk about that, it was more of the QB than WR

Having a guy like Rice helps any QB even the great ones.

Hard to see Pearsall becoming a Rice for us but if he's a good WR who can win vs zone or man then he'll make things easier for Brock.

I don't want to speak for Giedi but I imagine him bringing up the mental stuff was about chemistry with the QB and ability of WRs to read coverages the same way the QB does. The great ones(even if not Jerry Rice level) allow options for the QB that may not be there based on what's drawn up.

Mahomes and Kelce ad lib all the time and make a ton of plays for the Chiefs that Reid gets credit for. It's a great bonus for a QB to have WRs who can in essence read their mind and get to the spot they want them to be. I think Aiyuk was heading to that with Brock and I wish we got his deal done so they can continue to work on their relationship but Pearsall and Cowing for that matter live in Arizona where Brock is. They can really build some great chemistry together if they work at it.

That's the heart of the WCO. At one point Aaron Rogers was unstoppable with the WRs he had and got a superbowl out of that season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Agree 💯%, just give Brock a top 10 defense and 99% of the time he won't need a howitzer arm to win games. In Superbowls, though, he'll need at least a top 5 defense.

He is a top 5 QB, he will be able to do it with an average D.

I'm talking about superbowl level competiton. Most superbowl level teams have a top 5 defense.
Agree 💯%, just give Brock a top 10 defense and 99% of the time he won't need a howitzer arm to win games. In Superbowls, though, he'll need at least a top 5 defense.

I'm talking about superbowl level competiton. Most superbowl level teams have a top 5 defense.

He doesn't need a top 5 defense, if that's the case we are in trouble. He's a very good QB and we need to make sure he's gonna have the weapons / OL going forward.

You definitely need to have a good enough defense at least, but doesn't need to be a top 5 to win a SB when you got the QB.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Jul 4, 2024 at 3:38 PM ]

The suggestion that rankings determine the outcome of Superbowls.... oh boy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

He doesn't need a top 5 defense, if that's the case we are in trouble. He's a very good QB and we need to make sure he's gonna have the weapons / OL going forward.

You definitely need to have a good enough defense at least, but doesn't need to be a top 5 to win a SB when you got the QB.

Well, if you want to win a Superbowl you should have a top 5 defense, at minimum. The Dynasty championship wins, for example, almost all had a top 5 defense.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Well, if you want to win a Superbowl you should have a top 5 defense, at minimum. The Dynasty championship wins, for example, almost all had a top 5 defense.

We need to stop comparing today's NFL to the 80s no cap era.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Thus began the BROCK PURDY ERA Lol and the next week was even better!
I'm not sure how it's still a discussion or why people don't understand. Purdy doesn't have an elite arm. When you don't have an elite arm, you can't be as late on throws or fit things in at different times. It doesn't mean you can't succeed without one, but it's nice to have!

Literally every QB in NFL history, starter/backup/etc, can throw a football 60 yards in the air so it isn't about that and never has been

Purdy has the potential to do damage with his mind the way Brady did. Kyle just needs to get the right offensive skill players to enhance that mind. Pearsall is just that kind of guy, and hopefully he elevates Purdy's mind the way Rice did Steve and Joe.

Hard to see Pearsall becoming a Rice for us but if he's a good WR who can win vs zone or man then he'll make things easier for Brock.

I don't want to speak for Giedi but I imagine him bringing up the mental stuff was about chemistry with the QB and ability of WRs to read coverages the same way the QB does. The great ones(even if not Jerry Rice level) allow options for the QB that may not be there based on what's drawn up.

Mahomes and Kelce ad lib all the time and make a ton of plays for the Chiefs that Reid gets credit for. It's a great bonus for a QB to have WRs who can in essence read their mind and get to the spot they want them to be. I think Aiyuk was heading to that with Brock and I wish we got his deal done so they can continue to work on their relationship but Pearsall and Cowing for that matter live in Arizona where Brock is. They can really build some great chemistry together if they work at it.

That's the heart of the WCO. At one point Aaron Rogers was unstoppable with the WRs he had and got a superbowl out of that season.
Rice ran his routes, no add libbing

WRs bounce around and never be the same when playing with a lesser QB
Is it safe to say Brock throwing interceptions over the middle (ala Jimmy G.) is more a symptom of Shanny's system, where d-coordinators are getting more and more comfortable on how to combat it?

Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Thus began the BROCK PURDY ERA Lol and the next week was even better!

That was a fun game to watch. My son and I thought we were done after jimmy went down and he struggled in the first drive - but then after that he was just pulling the trigger on the dolphins blitzes and carving them up. Fun to experience this

It's not ad libbing when you read the defense and the guy lined up against you and adjust the route based on how they're guarding you.

It's not the old "just get open" it's a lot more nuanced and Jerry definitely could do that when needed.
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Is it safe to say Brock throwing interceptions over the middle (ala Jimmy G.) is more a symptom of Shanny's system, where d-coordinators are getting more and more comfortable on how to combat it?

Ya it's part of it, it's the easiest way to get picked off, but the amount of positives from the way we attack the middle far out weight and negatives. And his were no were near as bad as Jimmy's were. If it wasn't for the Ravens game, he would've had almost a 5:1 TD/INT ratio. Jimmy was throwing picks on a consistent basis. Purdy had a lot of games with 0 INT's

Was watching a youtube video on purdy the other night, and he sang his praises but his one criticism of brock was that he has yet to learn how to manipulate safeties with his eyes. I was like wtf, he was literally doing that at an elite level since he took over for jimmy.

It's not ad libbing when you read the defense and the guy lined up against you and adjust the route based on how they're guarding you.

It's not the old "just get open" it's a lot more nuanced and Jerry definitely could do that when needed.
Running routes is running routes

i rather take a great QB over a great WR if I had to choose between the two
Share 49ersWebzone