LISTEN: What Brock Purdy's Contract Means For The 49ers Roster →

There are 224 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Indeed. Kyle has proven to be a clown when coaching against KC and…. let's just leave his superbowl performances in the Kyle thread where they belong. Have no fear though, Brock will bail him out. He is ready for the task at hand. 13 is the way to 6. Let's go!

Prove it…explain all the horrible decisions that are solely Kyle's fault.

Brock didn't bail him out when he made the wrong hot read on an important 3rd down.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Agree 💯%, just give Brock a top 10 defense and 99% of the time he won't need a howitzer arm to win games. In Superbowls, though, he'll need at least a top 5 defense.

He is a top 5 QB, he will be able to do it with an average D.

I'm talking about superbowl level competiton. Most superbowl level teams have a top 5 defense.

He doesn't need a top 5 defense, if that's the case we are in trouble. He's a very good QB and we need to make sure he's gonna have the weapons / OL going forward.

You definitely need to have a good enough defense at least, but doesn't need to be a top 5 to win a SB when you got the QB.

Well, if you want to win a Superbowl you should have a top 5 defense, at minimum. The Dynasty championship wins, for example, almost all had a top 5 defense.

We need to stop comparing today's NFL to the 80s no cap era.

I think last year's KC team had a top 3 defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I'm not sure how it's still a discussion or why people don't understand. Purdy doesn't have an elite arm. When you don't have an elite arm, you can't be as late on throws or fit things in at different times. It doesn't mean you can't succeed without one, but it's nice to have!

Literally every QB in NFL history, starter/backup/etc, can throw a football 60 yards in the air so it isn't about that and never has been

Purdy has the potential to do damage with his mind the way Brady did. Kyle just needs to get the right offensive skill players to enhance that mind. Pearsall is just that kind of guy, and hopefully he elevates Purdy's mind the way Rice did Steve and Joe.
Idk about that, it was more of the QB than WR

Having a guy like Rice helps any QB even the great ones.

Hard to see Pearsall becoming a Rice for us but if he's a good WR who can win vs zone or man then he'll make things easier for Brock.

I don't want to speak for Giedi but I imagine him bringing up the mental stuff was about chemistry with the QB and ability of WRs to read coverages the same way the QB does. The great ones(even if not Jerry Rice level) allow options for the QB that may not be there based on what's drawn up.

Mahomes and Kelce ad lib all the time and make a ton of plays for the Chiefs that Reid gets credit for. It's a great bonus for a QB to have WRs who can in essence read their mind and get to the spot they want them to be. I think Aiyuk was heading to that with Brock and I wish we got his deal done so they can continue to work on their relationship but Pearsall and Cowing for that matter live in Arizona where Brock is. They can really build some great chemistry together if they work at it.

That's the heart of the WCO. At one point Aaron Rogers was unstoppable with the WRs he had and got a superbowl out of that season.
Rice ran his routes, no add libbing

WRs bounce around and never be the same when playing with a lesser QB

Agree, the option routes are where Purdy's mind will damage defenses. I think that is worth much more than arm strength (in a sense). *Knowing* the defensive coverages pre and post snap, and Knowing where the ball needs to go to move the ball and score TD's is a much more powerful skill than being able to throw 100 yards downfield in my opinion.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Purdy has the potential to do damage with his mind the way Brady did. Kyle just needs to get the right offensive skill players to enhance that mind. Pearsall is just that kind of guy, and hopefully he elevates Purdy's mind the way Rice did Steve and Joe.

Was watching a youtube video on purdy the other night, and he sang his praises but his one criticism of brock was that he has yet to learn how to manipulate safeties with his eyes. I was like wtf, he was literally doing that at an elite level since he took over for jimmy.

Agree with you. Manipulating the Defense with the eyes is one aspect. Also knowing that it's a cover two defense (vs a disguised fake cover 3) and audibling the TE down the seam because Cover two defenses leave the TE uncovered in those coverages (for example) is much more powerful than having a 100 mph arm strength.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by diehardniners408:
Indeed. Kyle has proven to be a clown when coaching against KC and…. let's just leave his superbowl performances in the Kyle thread where they belong. Have no fear though, Brock will bail him out. He is ready for the task at hand. 13 is the way to 6. Let's go!

So in your view, win or lose it's on the coach? And when we've lost it's Kyle's fault, but if we win the Super Bowl it'll be because Brock will have bailed him out in spite of Kyle? Ok haha

The loss that's put on him when he was a OC is just plain idiotic. All I've heard about that loss was about Shanahan, absolutely NOTHING about Dan Quinn and his defense blowing a huge lead. Don't get me started on the 2019 Super Bowl, to blame that solely on KS is f**kin idiocy at it's finest. So much s**t went down in that Super Bowl it's hard to blame just one person or give majority of it to one person. As for this past Super Bowl, again to blame it solely on KS when their was injuries to the 49ers defense, fumbles by the Special Team and CMC. How the f**k do you just call KS a clown for those losses, unreal, you know what GTFO with that b******t bandwagoners!!!!

Was watching a youtube video on purdy the other night, and he sang his praises but his one criticism of brock was that he has yet to learn how to manipulate safeties with his eyes. I was like wtf, he was literally doing that at an elite level since he took over for jimmy.

Agree with you. Manipulating the Defense with the eyes is one aspect. Also knowing that it's a cover two defense (vs a disguised fake cover 3) and audibling the TE down the seam because Cover two defenses leave the TE uncovered in those coverages (for example) is much more powerful than having a 100 mph arm strength.

IMO Brock is seeing openings in cover 2 or 3 and can tear apart Zone weakness. I'm so happy we have him. Great guy awesome QB. Hope he continues his assent to the top. Even Spags said as much blowing holes in his Zone defense. He had to change his whole defense and if CMC did not fumble and Greenlaw was not injured we would have won it. I don't think this was all on Kyle just bad luck. This is the year for Purdy to take it home. I think the OL had to play better so we can really see what Purdy can do.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Now guys from PFF are saying that Brock has gone from being overrated to underrated? Damn all these analysts are so full of s**t. They've all been underrating him for the last year and a half now they're gonna act like oh they're the ones that weren't under evaluating what he actually does. What a frickin joke.

They are just starting to come around and can't deny it anymore. Late but it's better than never. You will see more of this. He's like a young Drew Brees. At some point you can't deny the processing, reads, timing, anticipation, mechanics and accuracy. You will see more of this in the future.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Brock bailed Kyle out in the NFCCG.

Originally posted by Koldo:

That's what you want in your QB. It's a partnership. Kyle has made Brock's life easy many times. It's a great feeling knowing when Kyle is struggling or gets a wrong call in that Brock can still get good plays out of it or don't make things worse - like take a key sack or fumble the ball with a large lead in the SB.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Koldo:

That's what you want in your QB. It's a partnership. Kyle has made Brock's life easy many times. It's a great feeling knowing when Kyle is struggling or gets a wrong call in that Brock can still get good plays out of it or don't make things worse - like take a key sack or fumble the ball with a large lead in the SB.
you got it backwards.. it's great that Kyle can keep delivering great plays with a struggling QB

The loss that's put on him when he was a OC is just plain idiotic. All I've heard about that loss was about Shanahan, absolutely NOTHING about Dan Quinn and his defense blowing a huge lead. Don't get me started on the 2019 Super Bowl, to blame that solely on KS is f**kin idiocy at it's finest. So much s**t went down in that Super Bowl it's hard to blame just one person or give majority of it to one person. As for this past Super Bowl, again to blame it solely on KS when their was injuries to the 49ers defense, fumbles by the Special Team and CMC. How the f**k do you just call KS a clown for those losses, unreal, you know what GTFO with that b******t bandwagoners!!!!

If that poster was being objective and using his own debating points as to why it's all Kyle's fault….He would be talking about Quinn being the "choker" he won't do that because it hurts his narrative and shows how bias and emotional some fans are.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bassmanr:

IMO Brock is seeing openings in cover 2 or 3 and can tear apart Zone weakness. I'm so happy we have him. Great guy awesome QB. Hope he continues his assent to the top. Even Spags said as much blowing holes in his Zone defense. He had to change his whole defense and if CMC did not fumble and Greenlaw was not injured we would have won it. I don't think this was all on Kyle just bad luck. This is the year for Purdy to take it home. I think the OL had to play better so we can really see what Purdy can do.

If Kyle can get Purdy a great route runner like Jerry Rice (who also had great physical talent) - Purdy is going to win a lot of championships. Aiyuk and Deebo can be that Jerry 2.0 because I think both have the athleticism to pull it off and for Deebo, all he has to do is run his routes more energetically and precisely and he just is magical when he has the ball like Jerry was. Then Kyle - if he can develop Pearsall to be a John Taylor 2.0, this offense will always be in the top five if he has a decent run game. It can become a dynasty if Kyle gets his defenses right.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

So in your view, win or lose it's on the coach? And when we've lost it's Kyle's fault, but if we win the Super Bowl it'll be because Brock will have bailed him out in spite of Kyle? Ok haha

The loss that's put on him when he was a OC is just plain idiotic. All I've heard about that loss was about Shanahan, absolutely NOTHING about Dan Quinn and his defense blowing a huge lead. Don't get me started on the 2019 Super Bowl, to blame that solely on KS is f**kin idiocy at its finest. So much s**t went down in that Super Bowl it's hard to blame just one person or give majority of it to one person. As for this past Super Bowl, again to blame it solely on KS when thwas injuries to the 49ers defense, fumbles by the Special Team and CMC. How the f**k do you just call KS a clown for those losses, unreal, you know what GTFO with that b******t bandwagoners!!!!
Brock will lead us to 6. He will need to bail Kyle out to get it done.
Brock will lead us to 6. He will need to bail Kyle out to get it done.

Where was Brock on that 3rd down miss read of a hot route? Explain all these horrible play calls that Kyle has made over & over?

you can't because you don't know what the f**k your whining about

Well said
Share 49ersWebzone