49ers WR Deebo Samuel will miss 'a couple of weeks' with calf strain →

There are 194 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Without the two injuries, would Brock be playing or still watching?

This is why the best player should always get the nod.

Well if the story is true that Kyle realized early on that Brock was the best of the three - I imagine he would of eventually played after his rookie year.

it would of probably been a qb competition in camp the following year (depending on how Trey looked if he stayed healthy the rest of that year).

there are way too many variables to concretely say what would of happened but I personally think Lance would of severely struggled if he stayed healthy that year and we would of potentially missed the playoffs.

but to be fair to Kyle - just cause someone looks good in practice, doesn't mean it's going to translate to a live game. I think that was Kyle's biggest concern when it came to actually knowing if Brock was the best of the three. He needed to figure out what he had in Lance and Jimmy was a known commodity.

Thank god we have Brock. He's the man. Going to be a hell of a 12+ year ride left with him. Many chips to come.

Well, we'll never know, but I agree it could have worked out this way. Or Jimmy could have refused to return to the 49ers right before the season and Purdy then comes in Week 2 when Lance goes down.

(Also, please - would have, not would of. Sorry for grammar policing, but this is one that really nags at me. )
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Without the two injuries, would Brock be playing or still watching?

This is why the best player should always get the nod.

Well if the story is true that Kyle realized early on that Brock was the best of the three - I imagine he would of eventually played after his rookie year.

it would of probably been a qb competition in camp the following year (depending on how Trey looked if he stayed healthy the rest of that year).

there are way too many variables to concretely say what would of happened but I personally think Lance would of severely struggled if he stayed healthy that year and we would of potentially missed the playoffs.

but to be fair to Kyle - just cause someone looks good in practice, doesn't mean it's going to translate to a live game. I think that was Kyle's biggest concern when it came to actually knowing if Brock was the best of the three. He needed to figure out what he had in Lance and Jimmy was a known commodity.

Thank god we have Brock. He's the man. Going to be a hell of a 12+ year ride left with him. Many chips to come.

Well, we'll never know, but I agree it could have worked out this way. Or Jimmy could have refused to return to the 49ers right before the season and Purdy then comes in Week 2 when Lance goes down.

(Also, please - would have, not would of. Sorry for grammar policing, but this is one that really nags at me. )

Give Purdy the Eagles Offensive Line level talent and his career could stretch into twenty plus years!
Originally posted by Giedi:
Give Purdy the Eagles Offensive Line level talent and his career could stretch into twenty plus years!

20 years

not long ago people argued this s**t didn't matter when propping up Jimmy G.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 14, 2024 at 4:32 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Not that we didn't know it around here but another good chart for the "Purdy had the avengers" crowd out there

it's great to have the weapons we had/have but OL and pass pro is so key to QB success it's funny how it gets overlooked by opposing fans here just cuz of the numbers Brock put up.

Like I said I pray we can get our OL fixed so it can be a top 10 pass pro and we'll really see Brock shine.

I don't understand. For years a few on here have stated that we are lacking @ OL and the same group of posters on here have fought against that saying the OL is fine or/and the QB is the problem, etc.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
I don't understand. For years a few on here have stated that we are lacking @ OL and the same group of posters on here have fought against that saying the OL is fine or/and the QB is the problem, etc.

We cant have All-Pros at every single position. Build through the draft, prioritize tackles (LT in particular), and if pinched, other position get the higher draft capital than the 3 middle spots.

A poster fought all year for some rankings that had us end up @ #5 overall. Egg meet face.

Why does what posters fighting for matter anyway?

If you feel like you have a better formula than Kyle Shanahan (considering the salaray cap and limited draft picks).... let's hear it?
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 14, 2024 at 8:54 PM ]

The QB was the problem. Or did you not see the Raiders in the first half of 2023.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

not long ago people argued this s**t didn't matter when propping up Jimmy G.

Lots of Russell Wilson moves in that video!
Not that we didn't know it around here but another good chart for the "Purdy had the avengers" crowd out there

it's great to have the weapons we had/have but OL and pass pro is so key to QB success it's funny how it gets overlooked by opposing fans here just cuz of the numbers Brock put up.

Like I said I pray we can get our OL fixed so it can be a top 10 pass pro and we'll really see Brock shine.

Our pass pro was better under the QB you're referring to and clearly QB was a problem since Purdy is able to do much more with worse protection.

Also I don't believe anyone felt our OL was perfect but it's a matter of building it properly. I'm pretty sure this offseason most 49er fans agreed OL should be a priority. Obviously the team felt it wasn't as big of an issue and I hope they're right.

But let's not forget a few years ago we had Trent Williams, Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Brunskill and McGlinchey. That's not exactly the Eagles OL but it's a lot better than what we had last year.
Saw that ESPN ranking giving him an honorable mention. Lol the rest of the league really doesnt like Purdy.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Our pass pro was better under the QB you're referring to and clearly QB was a problem since Purdy is able to do much more with worse protection.

Also I don't believe anyone felt our OL was perfect but it's a matter of building it properly. I'm pretty sure this offseason most 49er fans agreed OL should be a priority. Obviously the team felt it wasn't as big of an issue and I hope they're right.

But let's not forget a few years ago we had Trent Williams, Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Brunskill and McGlinchey. That's not exactly the Eagles OL but it's a lot better than what we had last year.

To be fair, Alex Mack was a couple of years from retirement, Brunskill was let go later, and McGlinchey was also let go and not retained. I think our OLine last year (except for right guard) was pretty decent - a bit above average, with the exception of Trent who is all-world and Banks who is at Laken Tomlinson's level.

Purdy's quick release also helps the pass protection. Defenses have to blitz Purdy to overload his processor.
I don't get excited or upset by these rankings. Most are just subjective opinions by some writer of group of writers. Even using stats isn't always the best way to rank a player. In Purdy's case it's not so much about his lack of talent. It's just that most writers feel there are some guys with more talent. They're still looking at size, arm strength and speed more than actual results on the field. Then they look at all the talent around him and Kyle as his coach and we get the system QB stuff. We hear "anyone could be a good QB with that talent and in that system". No question the talent and the system help but not every QB can play in that system. Some of the more physically gifted guys have trouble when they're in a system that doesn't allow them to show off that arm talent or speed.
Another list that doesn't have Brock_STAR in the top 10.

Originally posted by random49er:

We cant have All-Pros at every single position. Build through the draft, prioritize tackles (LT in particular), and if pinched, other position get the higher draft capital than the 3 middle spots.

A poster fought all year for some rankings that had us end up @ #5 overall. Egg meet face.

Why does what posters fighting for matter anyway?

If you feel like you have a better formula than Kyle Shanahan (considering the salaray cap and limited draft picks).... let's hear it?

Lolz yes, all pros.
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Jul 15, 2024 at 9:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone