49ers WR Deebo Samuel will miss 'a couple of weeks' with calf strain →

There are 209 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:

not long ago people argued this s**t didn't matter when propping up Jimmy G.

Anyone that says having the ability to extend a play and buy time to make a play downfield doesn't know what they're talking about.

I think a qb having the ability to add a running play element as a qb isn't something that materially matters, but they're two different things. Brock is very quick in short areas and shifty and adds an important element to the passing game.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Another list that doesn't have Brock_STAR in the top 10.

Brock will always be underrated when it comes to these lists. The people who provide input don't like admitting they were wrong about him. He is so much more than a system qb. Brock knows how to win and will continue to improve with time. He is the best thing to happen to the 49ers in a very long time. Shove your lists in the same trash can that Jimmy resides in.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Not that we didn't know it around here but another good chart for the "Purdy had the avengers" crowd out there

it's great to have the weapons we had/have but OL and pass pro is so key to QB success it's funny how it gets overlooked by opposing fans here just cuz of the numbers Brock put up.

Like I said I pray we can get our OL fixed so it can be a top 10 pass pro and we'll really see Brock shine.

I don't understand. For years a few on here have stated that we are lacking @ OL and the same group of posters on here have fought against that saying the OL is fine or/and the QB is the problem, etc.

Our pass pro was better under the QB you're referring to and clearly QB was a problem since Purdy is able to do much more with worse protection.

Also I don't believe anyone felt our OL was perfect but it's a matter of building it properly. I'm pretty sure this offseason most 49er fans agreed OL should be a priority. Obviously the team felt it wasn't as big of an issue and I hope they're right.

But let's not forget a few years ago we had Trent Williams, Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Brunskill and McGlinchey. That's not exactly the Eagles OL but it's a lot better than what we had last year.

To be fair, Alex Mack was a couple of years from retirement, Brunskill was let go later, and McGlinchey was also let go and not retained. I think our OLine last year (except for right guard) was pretty decent - a bit above average, with the exception of Trent who is all-world and Banks who is at Laken Tomlinson's level.

Purdy's quick release also helps the pass protection. Defenses have to blitz Purdy to overload his processor.

Brunskill and McGlinchey weren't let go because we didn't want them here. There's a difference.

Our line was like 24th in pass protection, worst by a good margin than any of the teams playing in the divisional round of the playoffs. It is clearly our biggest weakness and I pray the guys we need to step up, do so and the guys we've relied on, keep playing at a high level.
lol I can't wait for Purdy to once again be in contention for NFL MVP this year
  • bud49
  • Veteran
ESPN and all these talking heads just keep F ing aroung and finding out. 4-2 in the playoffs and still no respect. F em all.
you guys still falling for it lol

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you guys still falling for it lol

100% I don't understand how any of that bs matters? It is no different than you or me debating players lol (expect we don't get paid to be b******tters!)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Give Purdy the Eagles Offensive Line level talent and his career could stretch into twenty plus years!

20 years

Why not 30 years!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

Anyone that says having the ability to extend a play and buy time to make a play downfield doesn't know what they're talking about.

I think a qb having the ability to add a running play element as a qb isn't something that materially matters, but they're two different things. Brock is very quick in short areas and shifty and adds an important element to the passing game.

Personally, Kyle's offensive system always had that mobility dimension. Example, the QB naked boot pass, relies on a QB that can move after the fake handoff and evade the DE/DT and pass to the open man. Kyle's always had that Kirk Cousin's pocket QB model, and then he shifted to the Trey/Brock mobile QB in 2021. He's recently acquired Dobbs and Mordicai who are *very mobile* QB's because he's finally learned how the mobility aspect of a QB is now so important in today's pass happy NFL.

You have to have a mobile QB nowadays, an offense handicaps itself if it has a immobile Kirk Cousins/Jimmy Garoppolo type of pocket QB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Brunskill and McGlinchey weren't let go because we didn't want them here. There's a difference.

Our line was like 24th in pass protection, worst by a good margin than any of the teams playing in the divisional round of the playoffs. It is clearly our biggest weakness and I pray the guys we need to step up, do so and the guys we've relied on, keep playing at a high level.

I think the OLine will improve. I think McKivitz will continue to get better, and there is more competition at right guard and center. (Puni, Burford, Feliciano, Brendel).

Brunskill and McGlinchy were, mostly Jimmy Garoppolo type OLinemen (better run blockers than pass protectors). I think with Jimmy, Kyle had to have a heavy run game to provide Jimmy the room to pass in his area of expertise - the middle of the field. Kyle's shifted to more of a Puni/Kingston type of OLineman (Bigger, stronger, and just as athletic) because of Purdy's insane long-range accuracy despite a good but not great arm. All along the offensive line, Kyle's guys are 20+ pounds bigger than the linemen he had back in 2017.

As NY85 has said, Kyle's passing attack is elite now with Purdy and Kyle's going to shift to more of a passing attack and hence the OLine is going to change. (I'm paraphrasing his points)

Yeah Skip Bayless is right. Brock Purdy is better than Dak Prescott. Just look at the Playoffs and record in the Playoffs.

Originally posted by random49er:
I don't understand. For years a few on here have stated that we are lacking @ OL and the same group of posters on here have fought against that saying the OL is fine or/and the QB is the problem, etc.

We cant have All-Pros at every single position. Build through the draft, prioritize tackles (LT in particular), and if pinched, other position get the higher draft capital than the 3 middle spots.

A poster fought all year for some rankings that had us end up @ #5 overall. Egg meet face.

Why does what posters fighting for matter anyway?

If you feel like you have a better formula than Kyle Shanahan (considering the salaray cap and limited draft picks).... let's hear it?

Lolz yes, all pros.

Great insight into how to properly build the team.

I think the OLine will improve. I think McKivitz will continue to get better, and there is more competition at right guard and center. (Puni, Burford, Feliciano, Brendel).

Brunskill and McGlinchy were, mostly Jimmy Garoppolo type OLinemen (better run blockers than pass protectors). I think with Jimmy, Kyle had to have a heavy run game to provide Jimmy the room to pass in his area of expertise - the middle of the field. Kyle's shifted to more of a Puni/Kingston type of OLineman (Bigger, stronger, and just as athletic) because of Purdy's insane long-range accuracy despite a good but not great arm. All along the offensive line, Kyle's guys are 20+ pounds bigger than the linemen he had back in 2017.

As NY85 has said, Kyle's passing attack is elite now with Purdy and Kyle's going to shift to more of a passing attack and hence the OLine is going to change. (I'm paraphrasing his points)

I agree and I hope that the selection of Puni as well as Pearsall and Cowing is Kyle realizing he needs to setup the team for more success if we have to go to a dropback passing offense without relying on all the smoke and mirrors.

My bigger concern right now is Center. Brendel really had a down year and his injury issues in OTAs haven't exactly screamed bounce back season.

I'll be very curious how training camp shapes out. Have a feeling our best line may be Trent, Banks, Feliciano, Puni and McKivitz.
Share 49ersWebzone