There are 161 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you guys still falling for it lol

100% I don't understand how any of that bs matters? It is no different than you or me debating players lol (expect we don't get paid to be b******tters!)

Exactamundo.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by genus49:
Brunskill and McGlinchey weren't let go because we didn't want them here. There's a difference.

Our line was like 24th in pass protection, worst by a good margin than any of the teams playing in the divisional round of the playoffs. It is clearly our biggest weakness and I pray the guys we need to step up, do so and the guys we've relied on, keep playing at a high level.

I think the OLine will improve. I think McKivitz will continue to get better, and there is more competition at right guard and center. (Puni, Burford, Feliciano, Brendel).

Brunskill and McGlinchy were, mostly Jimmy Garoppolo type OLinemen (better run blockers than pass protectors). I think with Jimmy, Kyle had to have a heavy run game to provide Jimmy the room to pass in his area of expertise - the middle of the field. Kyle's shifted to more of a Puni/Kingston type of OLineman (Bigger, stronger, and just as athletic) because of Purdy's insane long-range accuracy despite a good but not great arm. All along the offensive line, Kyle's guys are 20+ pounds bigger than the linemen he had back in 2017.

As NY85 has said, Kyle's passing attack is elite now with Purdy and Kyle's going to shift to more of a passing attack and hence the OLine is going to change. (I'm paraphrasing his points)

I agree and I hope that the selection of Puni as well as Pearsall and Cowing is Kyle realizing he needs to setup the team for more success if we have to go to a dropback passing offense without relying on all the smoke and mirrors.

My bigger concern right now is Center. Brendel really had a down year and his injury issues in OTAs haven't exactly screamed bounce back season.

I'll be very curious how training camp shapes out. Have a feeling our best line may be Trent, Banks, Feliciano, Puni and McKivitz.

Definitely the interior Offensive line is a concern and broke down in the Super Bowl, but I think the Puni pick will play dividends on the OLine this year.

I also think ShanaLynch has injected some interesting OLine players in this years team. Ben Bartch is another big/athletic guard type interior OLineman, I think similar to Feliciano. Jarret Kingston is brute strong (36 reps) - and I can see him challenge for Center/Guard in a year or two. Drake Nugent is athletic and strong, and is a year or two away (hopefully) from being a starter. Brandon Parker has 35 inch arms, and seems to have the athleticism to be another (possibly) Joe Staley.

None of the above cost us any high round picks, *but* they seem to have the strength/size/athleticism to become a Super Bowl level starter in a year or two. Preseason can't come soon enough for me.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I was just gonna post this
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Brock should take another quantum leap forward this year as it's kind of like Brock's 2nd/3rd year as a QB - from an experience-wise perspective.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

not long ago people argued this s**t didn't matter when propping up Jimmy G.

That clip vs the Eagles at 1:48 just pisses me off like how the f**k you all gonna just get beat like that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I'm still in shock we got a player as good as Brock Purdy.
Quote>>>>
In 2023, Brock Purdy's first full season starting in the NFL, after being picked last in the draft:
* He was estimated by ESPN and NFL.com at the start of the season to be the 12 or 15th best QB, but he finished 1st in passer rating, 1st in QBR, and 1st in yards per attempt.
*Only 6 QBs in NFL history have had a higher single season yards/attempt, and all 6 of them had a lower passer rating, lower completion percentage, and higher interception rate.
*Only 10 QBs in NFL history have had a higher single season passing rating, and the majority are legends: Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Patrick Mahomes, Peyton Manning, Lamar Jackson, Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill, Tony Romo, and Nick Foles.
*He set the all time record for 49ers single season passing yards and passer rating:
*He threw for 110 more yards than Steve Young's career best 1998 season, on 73 fewer attempts, and with less interceptions.
*He threw for 336 more yards than Joe Montana's career best 1990 season, on 76 fewer attempts, and with less interceptions.
*The modern metric adjusted net yards per attempt (ANY/A) includes sacks and sack yardage, as well as yards, touchdowns, and interceptions. This metric places his season as 5th all time. When adjusting each season according to the era it was played in, it moves up to 4th all time.

*If the sports media thinks these numbers are only because of the "genius" of Coach Kyle Shanahan, I'm wondering why other QBs under him have been so average.
*If Purdy continues to improve, he could end up the best of his generation, if not all time. His ability to read defenses, make quick, smart decisions, anticipate where receivers will be, and throw accurately is Brady and Montana like, and he is just starting out. Brady and Montana were not doing this from day one. It was in Brady's 8th season when he first hit a quarterback rating of over 100. Joe Montana hit a rating of over 100 in his 6th season. Purdy had a 113.0 his very first full year. This just doesn't happen.

end quote<<<
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/07/bart-scott-steelers-found-their-brock-purdy-in-justin-fields-potentially/

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/07/bart-scott-steelers-found-their-brock-purdy-in-justin-fields-potentially/

I don't think they have seen him play.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Even if by some miracle he became a competent/good player, the issue would be they have to pay him immediately because he'd be a FA. We will have had Brock 4 years at the lowest salary in the NFL
I love Brock and think he is a great Quarterback and am totally happy he's a Niner.
That being said, personality wise he is as square as they come. To steal a joke from the Chappell show. He makes Kirk Cousins look like Jonny Manziel.

Lots of talking heads claim that Purdy's success is a result of the great talent on offense. Now, there is clearly great talent on the team's offense. But many players were already established, whereas we will likely never know if CJ Stroud made his offense great or if his talent is independently great because his weapons were not already established. I wonder if deebo, mcaffrey, ect were rookies last year or the year before if Purdy would have got the credit for making them great, where we know they are because they predate Purdy. My point is that when the qb predates the weapons often the qb gets the credit.

I say all this to ask whether Aiyuk was great before Purdy or did Purdy make Aiyuk great? This is a real question. Aiuyuk is clearly talented but Purdy is actually able to get him the ball. How many wr's have had the potential to be great but didn't have the qb to get them the ball. Purdy has maximized Aiyuk's talent making him a top 10 wr. If Jimmy was still the qb I don't think this would have happened. I think there may be a real argument that Purdy makes Aiyuk what he is and can likely do this for other receivers who have similar skill sets. I think there is a bizarre perception bias against Purdy based purely on the fact that Purdy arrived after his talent even though it's clear to me that he maximizes these players.

My drunk thought while I get hyped for training camp.
Look, this is all very simple. When a QB is drafted late he is required to win a Super Bowl and have a 5000 yard and/or 50 TD season for the media to declare them elite. We know this because of Brady.

That's it. That's what Brock has to do to not have the "system QB" label. Not win a SB or 5000/50. Both.

That'll be the only thing that would shut everyone up.
[ Edited by captveg on Jul 20, 2024 at 10:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
That clip vs the Eagles at 1:48 just pisses me off like how the f**k you all gonna just get beat like that.

Another bust and execution issue. Banks thinks they're sliding left, but they slide right while he's supposed to be maned up on his side. I hope this was an area of focus this offseason after what we saw in the SB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SD49er:
Lots of talking heads claim that Purdy's success is a result of the great talent on offense. Now, there is clearly great talent on the team's offense. But many players were already established, whereas we will likely never know if CJ Stroud made his offense great or if his talent is independently great because his weapons were not already established. I wonder if deebo, mcaffrey, ect were rookies last year or the year before if Purdy would have got the credit for making them great, where we know they are because they predate Purdy. My point is that when the qb predates the weapons often the qb gets the credit.

I say all this to ask whether Aiyuk was great before Purdy or did Purdy make Aiyuk great? This is a real question. Aiuyuk is clearly talented but Purdy is actually able to get him the ball. How many wr's have had the potential to be great but didn't have the qb to get them the ball. Purdy has maximized Aiyuk's talent making him a top 10 wr. If Jimmy was still the qb I don't think this would have happened. I think there may be a real argument that Purdy makes Aiyuk what he is and can likely do this for other receivers who have similar skill sets. I think there is a bizarre perception bias against Purdy based purely on the fact that Purdy arrived after his talent even though it's clear to me that he maximizes these players.

My drunk thought while I get hyped for training camp.

QB and WR work together so both influence and help each other. It's not really a chicken/egg thing, but more of a partnership type thing. Joe and Steve had Jerry - who was, and still is, all world. I think Joe, Steve, and Jerry made each other better. i.e. it takes two to tango.

Brock/Aiyuk combo reminds me a bit of the Joe/Dwight Clark combo. That's one reason Kyle's not letting Aiyuk go.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Another bust and execution issue. Banks thinks they're sliding left, but they slide right while he's supposed to be maned up on his side. I hope this was an area of focus this offseason after what we saw in the SB.

For what it's worth, Quillan, Ayers and Cross were together - in the interior line - for years before that first Superbowl win. They were a veteran line, whereas last years OLine had a lot of young ones on it. Brendel, Banks, and Burford, and McKivitz were all relatively inexperienced compared to that veteran line that won the 🏆in 1981.
Share 49ersWebzone