There are 149 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Andra:
I love Brock and think he is a great Quarterback and am totally happy he's a Niner.
That being said, personality wise he is as square as they come. To steal a joke from the Chappell show. He makes Kirk Cousins look like Jonny Manziel.

It's really annoying that they take points off at the end of the game based on QB personality. That's going to catch up with us over the course of the season.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/07/bart-scott-steelers-found-their-brock-purdy-in-justin-fields-potentially/

Even if by some miracle he became a competent/good player, the issue would be they have to pay him immediately because he'd be a FA. We will have had Brock 4 years at the lowest salary in the NFL

Fields is a rb/3rd string qb at best

his throwing motion is ass, can't process, and has no pocket presence. complete opposite of our boy purdy
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Jul 21, 2024 at 2:26 AM ]
Originally posted by joeknows:
I love Brock and think he is a great Quarterback and am totally happy he's a Niner.
That being said, personality wise he is as square as they come. To steal a joke from the Chappell show. He makes Kirk Cousins look like Jonny Manziel.

It's really annoying that they take points off at the end of the game based on QB personality. That's going to catch up with us over the course of the season.

Lol I love having a qb who is disciplined and full of ethics. At least we know we won't have to worry about him wasting time on stupid stuff getting in trouble and is obsessed with becoming a great qb and clearly loves the games.

dude is just an everyday nice humble guy who works his ass off, excellent role model, loves the game. I'm not looking for a qb who I'll have a blast hanging out with. Lol I'm looking for a qb that is chasing greatness and I get to enjoy watching it.

I'll take a guy like Brady, manning, Bree's off the field than someone out partying and trying to stunt. Not that a qb who does that off the field can't be great but that's my preference.

Taking a legendary joke and making it dumb doesn't work.

Personally, obnoxious a*****e personalities have zero appeal for me. I appreciate Brock's no BS demeanor with no "me, me, me, I'm the greatest, I'm the bestest" attitude that goes against the grain of where our society has evolved to with incessant self-promotion. He's a throw back to some of the classier athletes of yesteryear.

Outside of all that peripheral stuff. I think "milk toast", apparently (but not actually) vapid, Brock Purdy will be the QB of our next Super Bowl winning team.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
https://steelersdepot.com/2024/07/bart-scott-steelers-found-their-brock-purdy-in-justin-fields-potentially/

Bart Scott has got to be one of the dumbest guys on TV. He's the worst kind of "analyst"; the former player who thinks everything he contributes is more valid because he "played the game."

I know. Crazy right! Maybe one day they'll get it out of the game.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Lol I love having a qb who is disciplined and full of ethics. At least we know we won't have to worry about him wasting time on stupid stuff getting in trouble and is obsessed with becoming a great qb and clearly loves the games.

dude is just an everyday nice humble guy who works his ass off, excellent role model, loves the game. I'm not looking for a qb who I'll have a blast hanging out with. Lol I'm looking for a qb that is chasing greatness and I get to enjoy watching it.

I'll take a guy like Brady, manning, Bree's off the field than someone out partying and trying to stunt. Not that a qb who does that off the field can't be great but that's my preference.

I totally agree. I just think it's funny! Kirk gets a the press for being nerdy or whatever but I think our guy could go blow to blow with him in the strait laced Olympics.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SD49er:
Lots of talking heads claim that Purdy's success is a result of the great talent on offense. Now, there is clearly great talent on the team's offense. But many players were already established, whereas we will likely never know if CJ Stroud made his offense great or if his talent is independently great because his weapons were not already established. I wonder if deebo, mcaffrey, ect were rookies last year or the year before if Purdy would have got the credit for making them great, where we know they are because they predate Purdy. My point is that when the qb predates the weapons often the qb gets the credit.

I say all this to ask whether Aiyuk was great before Purdy or did Purdy make Aiyuk great? This is a real question. Aiuyuk is clearly talented but Purdy is actually able to get him the ball. How many wr's have had the potential to be great but didn't have the qb to get them the ball. Purdy has maximized Aiyuk's talent making him a top 10 wr. If Jimmy was still the qb I don't think this would have happened. I think there may be a real argument that Purdy makes Aiyuk what he is and can likely do this for other receivers who have similar skill sets. I think there is a bizarre perception bias against Purdy based purely on the fact that Purdy arrived after his talent even though it's clear to me that he maximizes these players.

My drunk thought while I get hyped for training camp.

QB and WR work together so both influence and help each other. It's not really a chicken/egg thing, but more of a partnership type thing. Joe and Steve had Jerry - who was, and still is, all world. I think Joe, Steve, and Jerry made each other better. i.e. it takes two to tango.

Brock/Aiyuk combo reminds me a bit of the Joe/Dwight Clark combo. That's one reason Kyle's not letting Aiyuk go.

I think you're right that it's no a chicken/egg issue. They both benefit from one another. I also agree that Aiyuk isn't leaving.

I'm speaking more to perception of Purdy's greatness, or claimed lack thereon. Other Qbs, using Stroud as one example, seem to receive the credit so to speak when the talent around them is not yet established. Stroud gets the credit for making his team great despite the fact that his talent may actually be great independent of him, whereas Purdy only receives the benefit of his talent - not the other way around. I realize that caring about what talking heads say is dumb and only results in consuming their content (I think people like Nick Wright know that talking ish about Purdy gets clicks because 49er fans ride hard for the team.) In the dog days of summer, with all the lists coming out, I just can't understand the hate sometimes. I know its his draft spot, baby face, talented team, ect., but I find the analysis surface level and lazy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I think you're right that it's no a chicken/egg issue. They both benefit from one another. I also agree that Aiyuk isn't leaving.

I'm speaking more to perception of Purdy's greatness, or claimed lack thereon. Other Qbs, using Stroud as one example, seem to receive the credit so to speak when the talent around them is not yet established. Stroud gets the credit for making his team great despite the fact that his talent may actually be great independent of him, whereas Purdy only receives the benefit of his talent - not the other way around. I realize that caring about what talking heads say is dumb and only results in consuming their content (I think people like Nick Wright know that talking ish about Purdy gets clicks because 49er fans ride hard for the team.) In the dog days of summer, with all the lists coming out, I just can't understand the hate sometimes. I know its his draft spot, baby face, talented team, ect., but I find the analysis surface level and lazy.

A lot of a QB's success is the talent that surrounds him. Joe had Roger Craig *and* Dwight/Jerry. Purdy needs that Jerry, he already has the Roger Craig guy in CMC. It would be Joe's third year that he'd go on to the playoffs for the first time. In Purdy's 3rd year -he's been to the playoffs already twice and once to the super bowl. Joe was 28 when he went to his second super bowl.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Lots of talking heads claim that Purdy's success is a result of the great talent on offense. Now, there is clearly great talent on the team's offense. But many players were already established, whereas we will likely never know if CJ Stroud made his offense great or if his talent is independently great because his weapons were not already established. I wonder if deebo, mcaffrey, ect were rookies last year or the year before if Purdy would have got the credit for making them great, where we know they are because they predate Purdy. My point is that when the qb predates the weapons often the qb gets the credit.

I say all this to ask whether Aiyuk was great before Purdy or did Purdy make Aiyuk great? This is a real question. Aiuyuk is clearly talented but Purdy is actually able to get him the ball. How many wr's have had the potential to be great but didn't have the qb to get them the ball. Purdy has maximized Aiyuk's talent making him a top 10 wr. If Jimmy was still the qb I don't think this would have happened. I think there may be a real argument that Purdy makes Aiyuk what he is and can likely do this for other receivers who have similar skill sets. I think there is a bizarre perception bias against Purdy based purely on the fact that Purdy arrived after his talent even though it's clear to me that he maximizes these players.

My drunk thought while I get hyped for training camp.

QB and WR work together so both influence and help each other. It's not really a chicken/egg thing, but more of a partnership type thing. Joe and Steve had Jerry - who was, and still is, all world. I think Joe, Steve, and Jerry made each other better. i.e. it takes two to tango.

Brock/Aiyuk combo reminds me a bit of the Joe/Dwight Clark combo. That's one reason Kyle's not letting Aiyuk go.

The Stroud comparison argument for me is especially clear on this point. I see Stroud being labeled a top 5 QB after 1 season, while Brock fell outside the top 10 on that list in a year in which he outperformed Stroud in the regularseason and kicked the crap outta him in the postseason. Even if you take into account that it was strouds rookie season, Purdy had better completion percentage, QB rating, and the same yards per attempt as Stroud in his truncated rookie season and did so under FAR more challenging circumstances. This year they list alllll these weapons that the Texans have in "Watch out" like ads, the majority of which were all there last year. The coaching argument is null IMO cause Stroud is running the Shanahan offense called by an excellent OC. Literally ALLLLLLL the arguments they use to cite why Purdy isn't a stud, could easily be applied to Stroud, but aren't cause 1st round pick etc.

I also agree 100% on Nick Wrong and I refuse to participate. I have boycotted anything he's involved in since the early part of last season. If you aren't going to be honest and just get up there on TV/Internet and say bombastic s**t to generate income only then you're opinion is s**t and I'm not watching you spout it.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 21, 2024 at 10:53 AM ]
I totally agree. I just think it's funny! Kirk gets a the press for being nerdy or whatever but I think our guy could go blow to blow with him in the strait laced Olympics.

Well I think that's cause Kirk is blantant about his love for Star Wars or Star Trek. Lol

Brock has that vicious competitiveness to him, which you'd never think. Dude has this insane amount of confidence and competitiveness to him that you'd never guess it you just saw him. Lmao it cracks me up
When people keep Purdy out of the top 10 they are basically saying stats and wins mean nothing. Their whole reasoning is he was the last pick of the draft and he has alot of talent around him. None of it is based off performance.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
When people keep Purdy out of the top 10 they are basically saying stats and wins mean nothing. Their whole reasoning is he was the last pick of the draft and he has alot of talent around him. None of it is based off performance.

They do it because they say he's surrounded by great offensive talent but it doesn't hold up because they never use this against Jalen hurts (AND he has an elite OL!), Justin Herbert (has had good offense around him his whole career), Joe burrow, and so on.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by JTB1974:

They do it because they say he's surrounded by great offensive talent but it doesn't hold up because they never use this against Jalen hurts (AND he has an elite OL!), Justin Herbert (has had good offense around him his whole career), Joe burrow, and so on.

It's all good, it doesn't bother me. After this upcoming g season where Brock has a stellar year - everyone will be drooling over him and chance their tune.

not worried about, just excited to watch it.
Share 49ersWebzone