LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 136 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JTB1974:
When people keep Purdy out of the top 10 they are basically saying stats and wins mean nothing. Their whole reasoning is he was the last pick of the draft and he has alot of talent around him. None of it is based off performance.

Something psychological is going on. Purdy upsets people's idea of a natural hierarchy that is self-evident and constant. Despite the 'American Dream' narrative, many people are disturbed by the idea that somebody can slip through the cracks in the system and still emerge powerful and 'elite'.
Purdy, despite his wholesomeness, gives people the heebie-jeebies. He sets off people's interloper alarm.
I love it, let the media keep hating on Purdy. who gives a ****.
When people keep Purdy out of the top 10 they are basically saying stats and wins mean nothing. Their whole reasoning is he was the last pick of the draft and he has alot of talent around him. None of it is based off performance.

Stats aren't the only way to evaluate a QBs value or ability. If it was then any boob could just look up the stats and say rank these guys. If a QB plays in a passing offense with little or no running game he's likely to rank high in yards, TD passes and maybe rating.There's just a lot more to being a great QB than stats. Lokk at the all time NFL passing leader list and tell me that all those guys with more yards than Montana qt #22 were better than he was.
A guy that got nicknamed the Quad-father is not nerdy lol. He just has that farmer guy next door vibe but underneath the khaki threads..is a damn beast lol. That is pretty badass, like..the nice, friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

Lolol remember this? Nice, warm family pic, then back to assassin mode haha

[ Edited by Montana on Jul 22, 2024 at 8:52 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
The Stroud comparison argument for me is especially clear on this point. I see Stroud being labeled a top 5 QB after 1 season, while Brock fell outside the top 10 on that list in a year in which he outperformed Stroud in the regularseason and kicked the crap outta him in the postseason. Even if you take into account that it was strouds rookie season, Purdy had better completion percentage, QB rating, and the same yards per attempt as Stroud in his truncated rookie season and did so under FAR more challenging circumstances. This year they list alllll these weapons that the Texans have in "Watch out" like ads, the majority of which were all there last year. The coaching argument is null IMO cause Stroud is running the Shanahan offense called by an excellent OC. Literally ALLLLLLL the arguments they use to cite why Purdy isn't a stud, could easily be applied to Stroud, but aren't cause 1st round pick etc.

I also agree 100% on Nick Wrong and I refuse to participate. I have boycotted anything he's involved in since the early part of last season. If you aren't going to be honest and just get up there on TV/Internet and say bombastic s**t to generate income only then you're opinion is s**t and I'm not watching you spout it.

Stroud and Purdy are young up and coming QB's for sure. Public opinion is going to be whatever it is with Purdy. I'm fine with the public constantly underestimating Purdy since they don't play in the game. It's so satisfying to see these folks just get shocked by Purdy's play - like the eagles and cowboy fans - and see their shocked tears and anguish. I loved A.Smith just troll the cowboy fans when Purdy massacred them - in the media. It felt *so* great!

So I'm fine with the public being humiliated and devastated when they expect Purdy to be a system QB and they find out that Purdy is a dominant elite QB. At some point in time the general public will be tired of being shocked and anguished with their constant losses and join the winning team.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
A guy that got nicknamed the Quad-father is not nerdy lol. He just has that farmer guy next door vibe but underneath the khaki threads..is a damn beast lol. That is pretty badass, like..the nice, friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

Lolol remember this? Nice, warm family pic, then back to assassin mode haha

These assassins, they are trained to be normal and unobtrusive, but in the back - they have a pile of dead bodies they have done in.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I love it, let the media keep hating on Purdy. who gives a ****.
Feel the same
Originally posted by joeknows:

Something psychological is going on. Purdy upsets people's idea of a natural hierarchy that is self-evident and constant. Despite the 'American Dream' narrative, many people are disturbed by the idea that somebody can slip through the cracks in the system and still emerge powerful and 'elite'.
Purdy, despite his wholesomeness, gives people the heebie-jeebies. He sets off people's interloper alarm.

Well said!

I've been talking about this a lot. Purdy shows us just how incompetent and lazy a lot of these so called scouts are. If they were to give him his flowers now it would only proves that they were wrong so they keep looking for flaws.

I thought they were wrong on Mahomes who slipped down a little in the first round (#10 overall), but Purdy slipped all the way to the last pick in the draft. What would the storylines look like right now if Purdy was a first round pick? Laughable when you see Herbert, Lawrence, and Tua getting more shine than Purdy simply because of where they were drafted.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Stats aren't the only way to evaluate a QBs value or ability. If it was then any boob could just look up the stats and say rank these guys. If a QB plays in a passing offense with little or no running game he's likely to rank high in yards, TD passes and maybe rating.There's just a lot more to being a great QB than stats. Lokk at the all time NFL passing leader list and tell me that all those guys with more yards than Montana qt #22 were better than he was.

What they are saying is they how well you actually PLAY the QB position over entire seasons doesn't matter
All of this crap started when the phrase "draft experts" started to get bandied around by the media when there were college players coming in who had been watched in college and were drafted high and turned out to be good. The ones who flopped were merely forgotten. But, at the same time, the flops were referred to in comparison by the "experts" to draft picks and once they proved themselves, the "potential flop" label was removed. But Purdy actually broke a mold, even though HE was drafted and not an UFA like Mr. Warner. Remember him? So there is much, really, ado about nothing
[ Edited by NinerTy on Jul 22, 2024 at 9:36 AM ]

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
What they are saying is they how well you actually PLAY the QB position over entire seasons doesn't matter

They are saying it because they know you'll repeat what they say,...not because they believe one thing over another.
Originally posted by Giedi:
These assassins, they are trained to be normal and unobtrusive, but in the back - they have a pile of dead bodies they have done in.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

But he also has the wins to go with it and Brock was at the top in almost every QB category you can think of. So what are they really basing their ranking of Brock off of? Saying he doesn't have a strong arm is not enough to say he hasn't been elite. And if the whole argument is he has Kyle and is surrounded by alot of weapons, Then those same people making that argument would have to say Kyle is the best HC in the league and the Niners weapons are 10X better than anybody else in the league. Because QB's who these people say are way better than Brock are not putting up stats anywhere close to him.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by SD49er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SD49er:
Lots of talking heads claim that Purdy's success is a result of the great talent on offense. Now, there is clearly great talent on the team's offense. But many players were already established, whereas we will likely never know if CJ Stroud made his offense great or if his talent is independently great because his weapons were not already established. I wonder if deebo, mcaffrey, ect were rookies last year or the year before if Purdy would have got the credit for making them great, where we know they are because they predate Purdy. My point is that when the qb predates the weapons often the qb gets the credit.

I say all this to ask whether Aiyuk was great before Purdy or did Purdy make Aiyuk great? This is a real question. Aiuyuk is clearly talented but Purdy is actually able to get him the ball. How many wr's have had the potential to be great but didn't have the qb to get them the ball. Purdy has maximized Aiyuk's talent making him a top 10 wr. If Jimmy was still the qb I don't think this would have happened. I think there may be a real argument that Purdy makes Aiyuk what he is and can likely do this for other receivers who have similar skill sets. I think there is a bizarre perception bias against Purdy based purely on the fact that Purdy arrived after his talent even though it's clear to me that he maximizes these players.

My drunk thought while I get hyped for training camp.

QB and WR work together so both influence and help each other. It's not really a chicken/egg thing, but more of a partnership type thing. Joe and Steve had Jerry - who was, and still is, all world. I think Joe, Steve, and Jerry made each other better. i.e. it takes two to tango.

Brock/Aiyuk combo reminds me a bit of the Joe/Dwight Clark combo. That's one reason Kyle's not letting Aiyuk go.

I think you're right that it's no a chicken/egg issue. They both benefit from one another. I also agree that Aiyuk isn't leaving.

I'm speaking more to perception of Purdy's greatness, or claimed lack thereon. Other Qbs, using Stroud as one example, seem to receive the credit so to speak when the talent around them is not yet established. Stroud gets the credit for making his team great despite the fact that his talent may actually be great independent of him, whereas Purdy only receives the benefit of his talent - not the other way around. I realize that caring about what talking heads say is dumb and only results in consuming their content (I think people like Nick Wright know that talking ish about Purdy gets clicks because 49er fans ride hard for the team.) In the dog days of summer, with all the lists coming out, I just can't understand the hate sometimes. I know its his draft spot, baby face, talented team, ect., but I find the analysis surface level and lazy.

The Stroud comparison argument for me is especially clear on this point. I see Stroud being labeled a top 5 QB after 1 season, while Brock fell outside the top 10 on that list in a year in which he outperformed Stroud in the regularseason and kicked the crap outta him in the postseason. Even if you take into account that it was strouds rookie season, Purdy had better completion percentage, QB rating, and the same yards per attempt as Stroud in his truncated rookie season and did so under FAR more challenging circumstances. This year they list alllll these weapons that the Texans have in "Watch out" like ads, the majority of which were all there last year. The coaching argument is null IMO cause Stroud is running the Shanahan offense called by an excellent OC. Literally ALLLLLLL the arguments they use to cite why Purdy isn't a stud, could easily be applied to Stroud, but aren't cause 1st round pick etc.

I also agree 100% on Nick Wrong and I refuse to participate. I have boycotted anything he's involved in since the early part of last season. If you aren't going to be honest and just get up there on TV/Internet and say bombastic s**t to generate income only then you're opinion is s**t and I'm not watching you spout it.

I also look at the way the media treats Lamar. He has a super bowl winning coach, one of the best front offices is football, a regular top 5 defense, a bunch of talent on offense, and yet he screws the pooch in the playoffs every time, yet somehow he is automatically viewed as top 5 by all pundits. Whereas, Purdy is a mid level game manager because he walked into a situation with a great coach and team. These idiots refuse to acknowledge that Purdy has elevated the team's offense to its best since Steve Young. I like Lamar, but I would not trade Purdy for him with the coach we have. Purdy played much better against the Chiefs in comparison to Lamar despite Lamar being at home and Purdy was on a neutral site. We have an apples to apples comparison and there's no argument about who played better. It's just interesting how the media gives Lamar a pass because of the narrative they have created about him. We all know why they hate Purdy - the baby faced assassin has and continues to embarrass coaches, GMs, scouts, ect. The great thing is Purdy has another year to prove these a-holes wrong.
holy crap.. he's going to have a MONSTER year

[ Edited by tankle104 on Jul 22, 2024 at 6:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone