LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 170 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
A lot of new tight ends in the room. Your first throw today went to TE Eric Saubert. Do you feel that you've built some rapport already with him in OTAs? And then how is it going with the tight end room in particular?
"I think the way he came in for OTAs. We started throwing pretty early with him and, learning how he moves and how he sees things. Then coming in and being ready to roll for camp, he made a great play today. So that's something that we're going to continue to have to build off of and get after together. But I'm really excited for him and [TE] Brayden Willis and his opportunity. And obviously, [TE] George [Kittle]. So it's a great room. I know George is doing a great job with leading all those boys and some young guys and new faces coming in. Having [TE] Logan Thomas come in as well and his just veteran presence, it's going to be a solid room. So obviously we've got camp for all those boys to showcase and see what they can do and who's going step up. But I'm excited to work with them all and throw them the ball."
Kyle's really beefed up Purdy's TE squad. I want to see Braden Willis in pre-season and see how he's coming along.

The thing about TE's is that they are so important in the ground game and in the passing game. When your star TE is hurt in a big game, it not only hurts your passing game - but your *running game* too.

Love that he brought up Latu as well…oh wait
Damn read Barnwell's article that he thinks Brock will command 65million a year?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
A lot of new tight ends in the room. Your first throw today went to TE Eric Saubert. Do you feel that you've built some rapport already with him in OTAs? And then how is it going with the tight end room in particular?
"I think the way he came in for OTAs. We started throwing pretty early with him and, learning how he moves and how he sees things. Then coming in and being ready to roll for camp, he made a great play today. So that's something that we're going to continue to have to build off of and get after together. But I'm really excited for him and [TE] Brayden Willis and his opportunity. And obviously, [TE] George [Kittle]. So it's a great room. I know George is doing a great job with leading all those boys and some young guys and new faces coming in. Having [TE] Logan Thomas come in as well and his just veteran presence, it's going to be a solid room. So obviously we've got camp for all those boys to showcase and see what they can do and who's going step up. But I'm excited to work with them all and throw them the ball."
Kyle's really beefed up Purdy's TE squad. I want to see Braden Willis in pre-season and see how he's coming along.

The thing about TE's is that they are so important in the ground game and in the passing game. When your star TE is hurt in a big game, it not only hurts your passing game - but your *running game* too.

Love that he brought up Latu as well…oh wait

Yeah, agree. Latu - so far - just has stone hands. That's a death mark if you are a TE. TE's have to block so they need their hands to block, and also catch. So I'm losing hope for Latu. He reminds me (on the injury/durability side) a bit like Trey Lance and Jalen Hurd, sad to say.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Damn read Barnwell's article that he thinks Brock will command 65million a year?

Well it all depends how he looks this year. Will still get paid pretty big regardless, but may be astronomical based on what he does.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

Well it all depends how he looks this year. Will still get paid pretty big regardless, but may be astronomical based on what he does.
65 mill only 2 mill GTD and an opt out every season
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by krizay:
My draft comp for him, in hindsight, is Drew Brees. Drew went Round 2, Pick 32 - almost a 3rd round pick a la Joe Montana. I agree with NY85, he's not a top 5 guy. Then again, Aaron Rogers, Dan Marino, even Ben Rothlisberger weren't in the top five in their respective drafts either. The big drawback are as NY said, height, perceived arm strength (or lack thereof) etc.. In college -- Drew put up 10,909 yards with a 61.8% completion percentage at Purdue, and Brock put up 12,170 yards with a 67.7% completion rate at Iowa State. I'd say (assuming I don't have hindsight) he'd be a late first, early second. 49ers had him rated as a 4th round pick during the 2022 49er draft.

Brees was 1st pick in 2nd round

Right but that year there was only 31 first round selections. I don't think the Texans were a team yet, I could be mistaken though.

OP said "almost a 3rd round pick." I think you're "butting" the wrong guy.

Ah I didn't pay attention to the ops post - I thought you were making a comment that usually the first pick in the second is pick 64. Haha my bad.

Brees was much closer to a first round pick than third
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jul 25, 2024 at 12:24 PM ]

pretty good for a system qb

• pdc20
  • Veteran
If Purdy is paid 65 millions a year, it's probably a good news for the Niners. It means that Purdy is indeed the real deal.
i still remember last year at this time people were calling Lance to start

Its really going to be underrated how having a whole offseason will help

Originally posted by pdc20:
If Purdy is paid 65 millions a year, it's probably a good news for the Niners. It means that Purdy is indeed the real deal.

That's the thing people are missing. 49ers will be giving Brock a new contract after seeing him play for(hopefully) 47 starts. That is a significant sample size to know whether you have a legit leader of your team or not and if we're being honest, we know this already. The extra 20 starts will just be extra icing on top...hopefully along with that last W in the postseason for the cherry on top as well.

Whether Brock decides to take a team friendly deal or try and break the bank won't matter because when you have a franchise QB you pay them. Personally I don't see Brock looking to re-set the market or anything like that but I also wouldn't blame him if he did.

Either way the team will have plenty of evidence of his worth.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
How concerning was it not seeing T Trent Williams out there today?
"Man, it's the first day of camp. I know he is dealing with some contract stuff, but for me I've got to go out there and lead the boys in the first day. Obviously this is a long process in terms of like camp and we've got time and all that. But for me, my mindset was go out, do my job today and try to bring some energy to our offense and that's where my focus was at."
Brock has been definitely working on his game in the offseason. At some point he'll be so proficient in this offense, that he'll be coaching on the field the way a certain someone did at the latter half of his QB career in New England.

Devils advocate would says Joe Flacco, Daniel Jones and Deshaun Watson got big deals also.
He throws touchdowns and wins games.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Devils advocate would says Joe Flacco, Daniel Jones and Deshaun Watson got big deals also.

Joe Flacco had a crazy run in the playoffs and won a SB.

Deshaun Watson was considered an elite QB and had plenty of tape to show he's talented.

Daniel Jones got paid off one ok season.

They're not all the same. Watson's issues post contract are with another team and post a very serious off the field situation.
Share 49ersWebzone