LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 171 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm sure that when Brock gets paid at last half a dozen other QBs will want their contracts renegotiated. Mahomes will want 70 or 80 million.These guys are no longer trying to feed their family. They're feeding their ego. The NFL has become can you top this.

NFL players are vastly underpaid. Imagine the NFL was like NBA and a player could just hit the open market for teams to bid on. What do you think teams would pay per year for mahomes if given the chance? Sure as f**k would be over $60m
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I'm sure that when Brock gets paid at last half a dozen other QBs will want their contracts renegotiated. Mahomes will want 70 or 80 million.These guys are no longer trying to feed their family. They're feeding their ego. The NFL has become can you top this.

NFL players are vastly underpaid. Imagine the NFL was like NBA and a player could just hit the open market for teams to bid on. What do you think teams would pay per year for mahomes if given the chance? Sure as f**k would be over $60m

NFL teams have 53 guys to pay. The NBA has 15. Huge difference. Not only that but one player can make a bigger difference in the NBA. In the NFL even the best QBs need a line and receivers to throw to. They also need a defense to keep the score close. Two different situations.

By the way $30 million per year puts you in the top 1/10th of one percent of all earners in the US. There are only about 250 that earn $50 million or more in wages. More and more of them are pro athletes. Are athletes really worth that?
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jul 27, 2024 at 8:10 AM ]

NFL teams have 53 guys to pay. The NBA has 15. Huge difference. Not only that but one player can make a bigger difference in the NBA. In the NFL even the best QBs need a line and receivers to throw to. They also need a defense to keep the score close. Two different situations.

By the way $30 million per year puts you in the top 1/10th of one percent of all earners in the US. There are only about 250 that earn $50 million or more in wages. More and more of them are pro athletes. Are athletes really worth that?

Exactly. That kind of money for the playing sports is f**king stupid and a huge turn off. Oh ya....and the hold outs. f**k off.

No they aren't. The revenue sharing between teams and players is pretty similar. The difference is that NFL teams have to pay dozens of players. You're splitting revenue between like 1,700 players versus 400 something.

And sure some team would way overpay for Mahomes if he were an FA but the rest of their roster would suffer as a result and others players would get even less.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No they aren't. The revenue sharing between teams and players is pretty similar. The difference is that NFL teams have to pay dozens of players. You're splitting revenue between like 1,700 players versus 400 something.

And sure some team would way overpay for Mahomes if he were an FA but the rest of their roster would suffer as a result and others players would get even less.

Agree 💯%, and I'll just add that the audience for basketball and the NFL is totally different. I think, makes a difference for the revenue streams too because the world seems to know and be attracted to the NBA more than the NFL. The NFL is just starting out on their international outreach, but as far as I know, the NBA has already achieved worldwide recognition. Therefore, the advertising dollars earned by the NBA should be greater than what the NFL earns - since the NBA has a bigger world audience.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Exactly. That kind of money for the playing sports is f**king stupid and a huge turn off. Oh ya....and the hold outs. f**k off.

The nfl generates over 12 billion dollars of revenue every year. Would you feel better if the players got a fraction of what they do and the owners lined their pockets more?
I'm not against players making a good living. One Million per year puts them in the top .1% of earners. Thats great money for anyone. My biggest issue is it's becoming a game of who makes the most. Every time someone signs a contract it has to be for more than the previous high. It's like players compare each other based on salary instead of performance. The game hasn't gotten better as slaries have soared. I would argue that it's actually gotten worse. Players are so afraid now of getting injured and jeopardizing those huge paydays that they don't even want to practice.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Dude the QB contract market is getting out of control. Basically if you're a team's starting QB and you aren't complete trash, you reset the market.

god forbid you really hit on a QB. You basically get docked for doing that with the cap. QBs should have their own cap separate from the team or some s**t lol.

Like I don't think Tua sucks or anything but $212M? Would you rather have just him or like 3 elite players and draft a QB every 4 yrs lol?

I personally wouldn't have wanted to give Tua that kind of contract. He has some skills obviously but he's a limited player succeeding in a great system with great talent around him. I understand why the Dolphins paid him though.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

So let me get this straight. If the NFL had no cap, no franchise tag, and mahomes was a free agent, you think what he would be paid on the open market is what he's getting now?

That's what I mean by underpaid. The NFL has built in artificial salary restrictors.

I'm not going to get into the "they're playing a game! Why do they need this kind of money!" It's supply & demand. The NFL makes X on their various deals, and the players/owners agree via CBA what chunk of that goes to the players. So it's a pointless argument to make

😍 dude is flat out chasing greatness. I love it
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
😍 dude is flat out chasing greatness. I love it
It's having that Tom Brady kind of feeling. Late in the game, it always felt like Tom was just gonna take over and not make it close. I feel like I can get to that."
...Wow!

They are all vastly over paid. The NFL plays a 17 game season. NBA plays 82 games. No comparison to that.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I personally wouldn't have wanted to give Tua that kind of contract. He has some skills obviously but he's a limited player succeeding in a great system with great talent around him. I understand why the Dolphins paid him though.

I'm sure folks will say the same thing about Brock when he gets paid.

im all for players getting paid. Not my money, it's all about the cap for me. Teams that draft well and get their FQB actually get penalize for it lol. Wish the cap was broken down a different way, no idea how it would work but damn.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They are all vastly over paid. The NFL plays a 17 game season. NBA plays 82 games. No comparison to that.

Theyre overpaid Based on what? These athletes generate billions of dollars with their day in and day out performances - they are the best at what they do in a beloved sport. They should be compensated based on the revenue they generate.

Someone like Steph curry is drastically underpaid for the amount of revenue he generates for a company, same as lebron. They themselves generate billions of dollars in revenue for their teams through numerous streams. Yet only get $50M or so a year?

In capitalism, you get paid based on the value you provide. Most people don't provide value to the bottom line or generate massive sums for a business. They just do basic job, that's why their pay is baseline and lower.
Share 49ersWebzone