LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 236 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
NFL players are vastly underpaid. Imagine the NFL was like NBA and a player could just hit the open market for teams to bid on. What do you think teams would pay per year for mahomes if given the chance? Sure as f**k would be over $60m

No they aren't. The revenue sharing between teams and players is pretty similar. The difference is that NFL teams have to pay dozens of players. You're splitting revenue between like 1,700 players versus 400 something.

And sure some team would way overpay for Mahomes if he were an FA but the rest of their roster would suffer as a result and others players would get even less.

Cheeses could you imagine Mahomes being out there in the open market after his rookie contract going to the highest bidder!!!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm sure folks will say the same thing about Brock when he gets paid.

im all for players getting paid. Not my money, it's all about the cap for me. Teams that draft well and get their FQB actually get penalize for it lol. Wish the cap was broken down a different way, no idea how it would work but damn.

I'm sure they will too, but I def think Brock is a better player than Tua. Similar pure passers… good accuracy, great anticipation. Brock handles pressure considerably better and is a better athlete with more capability to make plays outside the system.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They are all vastly over paid. The NFL plays a 17 game season. NBA plays 82 games. No comparison to that.

NBA doesn't play defense, the stars sit out games all the damn time, flopping and let's keep s**t real…they can't even hand check let alone get tackled by 200-300lb grown ass men all the time.

no way should Bradley Beal have the same career earnings as Drew Brees/Big Ben and more than manning.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 27, 2024 at 11:15 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I'm sure folks will say the same thing about Brock when he gets paid.

im all for players getting paid. Not my money, it's all about the cap for me. Teams that draft well and get their FQB actually get penalize for it lol. Wish the cap was broken down a different way, no idea how it would work but damn.

I'm sure they will too, but I def think Brock is a better player than Tua. Similar pure passers… good accuracy, great anticipation. Brock handles pressure considerably better and is a better athlete with more capability to make plays outside the system.

Yup Purdy is definitely better than Tua, like you said, he's better at handling pressure. And IMO, that falls under being a game changer rather than a game manage, like Brock is being labeled.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:
😍 dude is flat out chasing greatness. I love it
It's having that Tom Brady kind of feeling. Late in the game, it always felt like Tom was just gonna take over and not make it close. I feel like I can get to that."
...Wow!

It's almost a different swagger from Brock this year. It's no longer "hey I'm happy to be here and believe I can help".

its "I'm one of the best effin QBs on planet earth and I belong here".

I love it. I really think this season is going to be magical from Brock & Kyle
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yup Purdy is definitely better than Tua, like you said, he's better at handling pressure. And IMO, that falls under being a game changer rather than a game manage, like Brock is being labeled.

Oh for sure Brock is better…he shouldn't just be the highest paid QB of all time just because he's the next QB that's up for extension. It's the only position that resets the market all the time even if they're not recognized as the "best player" at their position.
Purdy is the reason this team is going to compete for the next 10+ years. Real NFL and 49er fans know that Purdy is the captain of this ship. Not the surrounding cast and not the HC. It's Purdy. He's going to show it in 2024 with another MVP caliber season.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Purdy is the reason this team is going to compete for the next 10+ years. Real NFL and 49er fans know that Purdy is the captain of this ship. Not the surrounding cast and not the HC. It's Purdy. He's going to show it in 2024 with another MVP caliber season.

Our roster and coaching staff is top tier. This core group has been in SB contention without Purdy at QB as well.

All of it together is why we are great. We don't have to undersell one aspect of the team to prop up another.

Our roster and coaching staff is top tier. This core group has been in SB contention without Purdy at QB as well.

All of it together is why we are great. We don't have to undersell one aspect of the team to prop up another.

Yeah this team/staff, with decent qb play, is good enough to compete for the sb. I think Brock is the reason why we no longer have to play perfect to win games. For example, the lions and packers game. I don't see us coming back like that with Jimmy.

i view Brock as the piece that puts us over the top to compete in almost any situation.

we need Brock to do what Jimmy never did, which is get better every year. Not make the same bonehead mistakes every year. Which is seems like that's exactly what's happening - very exciting
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Oh for sure Brock is better…he shouldn't just be the highest paid QB of all time just because he's the next QB that's up for extension. It's the only position that resets the market all the time even if they're not recognized as the "best player" at their position.

I agree but that's just how it goes. So many QB's like Daniel Jones, Tua and Jordan Love not worth the contracts they got. Maybe Jordan Love because of what he has accomplished this past season 4k yards and one playoff win, that's gotta account for something. But Brock Purdy, my god, 4-2 in the playoffs, one NFCC and one SB appearance. Not even Lamar Jackson two time MVP can say that.

Agreed.

A great QB can transcend a mediocore/average roster. Not saying we have a mediocre roster because obviously we don't but the parts around the QB are more interchangeable now than ever.
A great QB can transcend a mediocore/average roster. Not saying we have a mediocre roster because obviously we don't but the parts around the QB are more interchangeable now than ever.

We don't know if Brock is the type of player who can transcend a mediocre and average roster, because that's not his situation and hopefully won't be anytime soon. What he has done is play really well in a great system with great players around him. No complaints. Who gives a s**t what casual fans or hot take analysts think.

We don't know if Brock is the type of player who can transcend a mediocre and average roster, because that's not his situation and hopefully won't be anytime soon. What he has done is play really well in a great system with great players around him. No complaints. Who gives a s**t what casual fans or hot take analysts think.

To that point, many greats never showed if they could transcend a mediocre/average roster. Montana, for example, rarely had a mediocre roster. Arguably only the 1980 comeback against the Saints showed he could transcend one. Otherwise his teams were always good to great roster-wise, with only the strike shortened 1982 team being a losing record, non-playoff team.
Originally posted by captveg:
To that point, many greats never showed if they could transcend a mediocre/average roster. Montana, for example, rarely had a mediocre roster. Arguably only the 1980 comeback against the Saints showed he could transcend one. Otherwise his teams were always good to great roster-wise, with only the strike shortened 1982 team being a losing record, non-playoff team.

Absolutely. Blessed with a great situation.
Share 49ersWebzone