George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 130 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Purdy seems like a down to earth guy that really wants to prove himself. Maybe he'll sign whatever offer they make without any dragged out negotiations. That's still going to be way more than he probably ever dreamed of. That would allow the team to continue providing all the tools and support he needs and would also show that he puts team ahead of self. That would go a long way toward establishing his leadership.

I don't know if this will happen but it would be nice to see.

My personal opinion is that he is going to make a ton but take less than he can push for. So takes a little less but still makes a ton. If he just takes 45M a year, that would be huge. Maybe he won't but I think he is going to do something that will shock most, just my opinion. Not everyone is money hungry and he knows he can make a lot off the field too.

I think he will try to emulate what Brady did. Or at least what mahommes did with the super long contract to give the team a ton of flexibility

It's ridiculous that we've reached this point where we say " if he just makes $45 million per year" . That would put him if the top 1/10th of one percent of all earners in the country no matter what their profession is. I love sports and probably spend way too much time watching football, baseball and basketball but I still can't wrap my mind around young athletes making more than CEO's that run giant corporations that employ and benefit thousands of people. Way more thn doctors that save lives.
My personal opinion is that he is going to make a ton but take less than he can push for. So takes a little less but still makes a ton. If he just takes 45M a year, that would be huge. Maybe he won't but I think he is going to do something that will shock most, just my opinion. Not everyone is money hungry and he knows he can make a lot off the field too.

I think he will try to emulate what Brady did. Or at least what mahommes did with the super long contract to give the team a ton of flexibility

Purdy is going to have little personal involvement on what his contract is. He pays his agent 10% to handle these matters and I can assure you he's not taking "only" $45m/yr. If purdy is under $50-$60m per year it means he had a disastrous season or suffered a serious injury.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Purdy is going to have little personal involvement on what his contract is. He pays his agent 10% to handle these matters and I can assure you he's not taking "only" $45m/yr. If purdy is under $50-$60m per year it means he had a disastrous season or suffered a serious injury.

The NFL dictates that agents can only receive 3%. The agent works for Purdy and if Purdy tells him he wants a team friendly contract then that's what he'll get. We meaning all of us fans , players and agents need to stop using contracts as a measure of a player's value. The same guy that mght be worth $10 million to one team might be worth twice that to another. This idea that every new deal has to be the biggest ever is BS to nth degree.
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:

Why in thee hell would Brock take less than Tua? Brock is better than Tua.

if dude is smart he takes the max. This is a business. I do not think the 49ers will pay him the max so my prediction is he ends up somewhere else.

Because I think Brock is more concerned about fielding a championship team and retaining great talent around him than taking as much as he can.

hes going to be filthy rich regardless. You act like im saying he signs for $15M a year. lol all im saying is that I think Brock will do something team friendly to help the team pay the talent around him.

Tom Brady did it his whole career. He could have always been the highest paid and almost never was because he cared more about putting/retaining talent around him. It also helped make a culture where other players didn't take the max, per Edelman.

who knows is this happens, it may not, it's just my opinion.
The NFL dictates that agents can only receive 3%. The agent works for Purdy and if Purdy tells him he wants a team friendly contract then that's what he'll get. We meaning all of us fans , players and agents need to stop using contracts as a measure of a player's value. The same guy that mght be worth $10 million to one team might be worth twice that to another. This idea that every new deal has to be the biggest ever is BS to nth degree.

Whatever the agents cut is, his job is to get the player as much as he can. If he doesn't do that he isn't doing his job and won't have the job as an agent for long

I agree, it's ridiculous. I get players wanting to get paid but I can name a ton of contracts that are ridiculous and hurt their team.

if I was a franchise qb - I'd figure out a way to be filthy rich and help the team put players around me to compete. Brock's going to be filthy rich regardless of if he takes $40M, 50, or 60M a year. The only difference is the type of flexibility he gives the team to help him compete for a Super Bowl consistently - especially with a front office that has proven to be excellent at finding talent all over the field.

and yeah, the agent doesn't determine what the player wants. They do what the player says - if Brock says do X or says "I want the most money possible" is what dictates negotiations.
If he really wants to emulate Brady, he will take less (within reason) so that he and the team can win.
Originally posted by fropwns:
If he really wants to emulate Brady, he will take less (within reason) so that he and the team can win.

Is his wife a supermodel that makes more than him?
To 99.9% of the world if you make $10 or $20 million per year you're filthy rich. If you invest just half of that each year you'll never need to work again.

The fact he wants to emulate Brady tells me he has no problem taking a little less and tbh he seems the type, BUT good luck with NFLPA on that one. They would be livid, but I also don't think he cares.
Purdy seems like a down to earth guy that really wants to prove himself. Maybe he'll sign whatever offer they make without any dragged out negotiations. That's still going to be way more than he probably ever dreamed of. That would allow the team to continue providing all the tools and support he needs and would also show that he puts team ahead of self. That would go a long way toward establishing his leadership.

I don't know if this will happen but it would be nice to see.

It's ridiculous that we've reached this point where we say " if he just makes $45 million per year" . That would put him if the top 1/10th of one percent of all earners in the country no matter what their profession is. I love sports and probably spend way too much time watching football, baseball and basketball but I still can't wrap my mind around young athletes making more than CEO's that run giant corporations that employ and benefit thousands of people. Way more thn doctors that save lives.

In my opinion, our society values athletes and sports way more than we value others (like doctors and CEO's).

I don't know of any options for a person to get a full ride scholarship to Law or Med school. Most or all of those folks have to pay to get where they are, and they have loans to pay off. Whereas a athlete can get access to free private high schools, free college, and then access to hundreds of millions of dollars as a professional athlete.

It is also interesting to look at data (none graduates and major choice) that shows if MOST of these athletes weren't pro athletes, they wouldn't have access to the money that CEO's and Doctors have access to.

We make assumptions about what is important in our society all the time. But the money trail will always tell us the truth. There is nothing Americans love more than Sports, Guns, and Drugs!

This is what we say we value:

- Children and families
- Education
- Marriage

blah blah blah, we really put our money towards the things we value most.

Sports
Drugs
Sex
Guns

Everything else is secondary.
  • bud49
  • Veteran

Go Brock Go!! Love the music, 70's and 80's music holding up has always!
Originally posted by fropwns:

brady did that later in his career
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Hell yeah! It's cool that winning isn't necessarily good enough for him. He wants to dominate and be perfect. He doesn't have that "welp, is what it is". Mindset that I think guys like Jimmy and Lawrence have.

Especially before $60m a year negotiation time.

It's amazing how rapidly salaries have escalated. This wasn't gradual increase. A short time ago QBs were making $25-30 million per year. Now we're talking about $60 million. That' crazy. Even housing and groceries don't rise that fast.

Yeah, it's not sustainable.

Not sustainable??

You ever heard of revenue sharing?
Share 49ersWebzone