LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 127 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The NFL dictates that agents can only receive 3%. The agent works for Purdy and if Purdy tells him he wants a team friendly contract then that's what he'll get. We meaning all of us fans , players and agents need to stop using contracts as a measure of a player's value. The same guy that mght be worth $10 million to one team might be worth twice that to another. This idea that every new deal has to be the biggest ever is BS to nth degree.

Whatever the agents cut is, his job is to get the player as much as he can. If he doesn't do that he isn't doing his job and won't have the job as an agent for long

No, his job is to do what his client wants him to do, lol.
It's amazing how rapidly salaries have escalated. This wasn't gradual increase. A short time ago QBs were making $25-30 million per year. Now we're talking about $60 million. That' crazy. Even housing and groceries don't rise that fast.

New CBAs that include new profit pathways arent a gradual thing, though. The last one was 2020/21,...and the more money the greedy owners are able to find,...the more money the players get to take home.

17 games (and eventually 18), games and viewership overseas, among other things, are directly related to the increases you are seeing.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 29, 2024 at 3:46 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Purdy seems like a down to earth guy that really wants to prove himself. Maybe he'll sign whatever offer they make without any dragged out negotiations. That's still going to be way more than he probably ever dreamed of. That would allow the team to continue providing all the tools and support he needs and would also show that he puts team ahead of self. That would go a long way toward establishing his leadership.

I don't know if this will happen but it would be nice to see.

My personal opinion is that he is going to make a ton but take less than he can push for. So takes a little less but still makes a ton. If he just takes 45M a year, that would be huge. Maybe he won't but I think he is going to do something that will shock most, just my opinion. Not everyone is money hungry and he knows he can make a lot off the field too.

I think he will try to emulate what Brady did. Or at least what mahommes did with the super long contract to give the team a ton of flexibility

It's ridiculous that we've reached this point where we say " if he just makes $45 million per year" . That would put him if the top 1/10th of one percent of all earners in the country no matter what their profession is. I love sports and probably spend way too much time watching football, baseball and basketball but I still can't wrap my mind around young athletes making more than CEO's that run giant corporations that employ and benefit thousands of people. Way more thn doctors that save lives.

In my opinion, our society values athletes and sports way more than we value others (like doctors and CEO's).

I don't know of any options for a person to get a full ride scholarship to Law or Med school. Most or all of those folks have to pay to get where they are, and they have loans to pay off. Whereas a athlete can get access to free private high schools, free college, and then access to hundreds of millions of dollars as a professional athlete.

It is also interesting to look at data (none graduates and major choice) that shows if MOST of these athletes weren't pro athletes, they wouldn't have access to the money that CEO's and Doctors have access to.

We make assumptions about what is important in our society all the time. But the money trail will always tell us the truth. There is nothing Americans love more than Sports, Guns, and Drugs!

This is what we say we value:

- Children and families
- Education
- Marriage

blah blah blah, we really put our money towards the things we value most.

Sports
Drugs
Sex
Guns

Everything else is secondary.

Bingo! We've definitely got our priorities screwed up. Nothing wrong with players making a good salary but they've gone from being underpaid in the early days to way overpaid now. Gone are the days when even the best players needed a job in the off season.

Worst of all the game hasn't improved. If anything it's worse than it used to be. Sure players are bigger and stronger but are they really better? They're coming out of college early and some just aren't ready. They barely practice anymore out of fear of being injured. Rule changes have made it so defensive players can't hit like they used to. No touching the QB. Don't touch the receivers. And of course we have the constant stopping of the action to review way too many plays.

I'm still a fan but not anywhere near the kind of passion I once had for sports.
Originally posted by random49er:
It's amazing how rapidly salaries have escalated. This wasn't gradual increase. A short time ago QBs were making $25-30 million per year. Now we're talking about $60 million. That' crazy. Even housing and groceries don't rise that fast.

New CBAs that include new profit pathways arent a gradual thing, though. The last one was 2020/21,...and the more money the greedy owners are able to find,...the more money the players get to take home.

17 games (and eventually 18), games and viewership overseas, among other things, are directly related to the increases you are seeing.

In th end the fans pay for those increases through higher ticket prices or subscription prices to their cable or streaming services. Many of the streaming services are losing money so don't be shocked if you see big increases in the next few years. YouTube lost over $1 billion last year and could likely lose $9 billion before the agreement runs out. That's serious losses.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Why do you think a player hires an agent? The agents job is literally to negotiate contracts lol
In th end the fans pay for those increases through higher ticket prices or subscription prices to their cable or streaming services. Many of the streaming services are losing money so don't be shocked if you see big increases in the next few years. YouTube lost over $1 billion last year and could likely lose $9 billion before the agreement runs out. That's serious losses.

Those fans dont have their hands tied behind their backs. Maybe more of them simply wait to find the stream elsewhere, or watch the highlights once the game is done.

The market evens these things out.

But things like additional games, overseas games, more lucrative sponsorships, and the legalization of betting don't fall under this umbrella of the traditional fan paying more. I mean they're even trying to play games in Brazil and the middle east in 2025 and beyond. These are additional revenue streams.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 29, 2024 at 4:10 PM ]
Purdy seems like a down to earth guy that really wants to prove himself. Maybe he'll sign whatever offer they make without any dragged out negotiations. That's still going to be way more than he probably ever dreamed of. That would allow the team to continue providing all the tools and support he needs and would also show that he puts team ahead of self. That would go a long way toward establishing his leadership.

My personal opinion is that he is going to make a ton but take less than he can push for. So takes a little less but still makes a ton. If he just takes 45M a year, that would be huge. Maybe he won't but I think he is going to do something that will shock most, just my opinion. Not everyone is money hungry and he knows he can make a lot off the field too.

I think he will try to emulate what Brady did. Or at least what mahommes did with the super long contract to give the team a ton of flexibility

It's ridiculous that we've reached this point where we say " if he just makes $45 million per year" . That would put him if the top 1/10th of one percent of all earners in the country no matter what their profession is. I love sports and probably spend way too much time watching football, baseball and basketball but I still can't wrap my mind around young athletes making more than CEO's that run giant corporations that employ and benefit thousands of people. Way more thn doctors that save lives.

In my opinion, our society values athletes and sports way more than we value others (like doctors and CEO's).

I don't know of any options for a person to get a full ride scholarship to Law or Med school. Most or all of those folks have to pay to get where they are, and they have loans to pay off. Whereas a athlete can get access to free private high schools, free college, and then access to hundreds of millions of dollars as a professional athlete.

It is also interesting to look at data (none graduates and major choice) that shows if MOST of these athletes weren't pro athletes, they wouldn't have access to the money that CEO's and Doctors have access to.

We make assumptions about what is important in our society all the time. But the money trail will always tell us the truth. There is nothing Americans love more than Sports, Guns, and Drugs!

- Children and families
- Education
- Marriage

Sports
Drugs
Sex
Guns

Bingo! We've definitely got our priorities screwed up. Nothing wrong with players making a good salary but they've gone from being underpaid in the early days to way overpaid now. Gone are the days when even the best players needed a job in the off season.

Worst of all the game hasn't improved. If anything it's worse than it used to be. Sure players are bigger and stronger but are they really better? They're coming out of college early and some just aren't ready. They barely practice anymore out of fear of being injured. Rule changes have made it so defensive players can't hit like they used to. No touching the QB. Don't touch the receivers. And of course we have the constant stopping of the action to review way too many plays.

I'm still a fan but not anywhere near the kind of passion I once had for sports.

True, sports franchises and players are capitalizing off of our screwed up priorities.

- Children and families
- Education
- Marriage

Sports
Drugs
Sex
Guns

True, sports franchises and players are capitalizing off of our screwed up priorities.
this s**t has been going on since the dawn of man. The human race loves entertainment
Sounds like the o line is gonna get BP killed

Originally posted by lamontb:
Sounds like the o line is gonna get BP killed

Yeah, without Trent - our o line has got to be bottom five. It's really bad.
banks - above average on his best days
Brendel - has been declining since 2022 and average on his best day last year
Burford - *blows my brains out*
Mckivitz - below average

We have the best o line player in the league and then a bunch of some of the worst o line players.

No they dont. The team/nfl/league increases prices, the fans pay it, then the players demand their cut of the profits.
If the price increased and enough fans said no, the profits would not increase, and the players will get the same amount.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
No they dont. The team/nfl/league increases prices, the fans pay it, then the players demand their cut of the profits.
If the price increased and enough fans said no, the profits would not increase, and the players will get the same amount.

Thats all fine but we are at the point that $60m a year is bs. It really is.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Why do you think a player hires an agent? The agents job is literally to negotiate contracts lol

Which does not equate to haggling for every last red cent each time. An agent is the employee of the player and does as he is instructed. Tyreek Hills agent was told to get him that bag at all costs, eff the rings. Brady's agent not so much. There's plenty of evidence in NFL history to support his statement so not sure why argue unless to argue.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 29, 2024 at 9:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone