There are 136 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Lol it's more like, Purdy deeds done dirt cheap 🎶 until phat payday of course.

I am in the camp of..the 9ers are going to pay him and pay him bigly, I think it will be a smooth going contract with no drama and I also think he is going to get full price. Because you don't want to cheapen yourself if you are one of the best-if not the best-qbs in the league. Give him all the bennies..cause that is what he deserves. I also think he stays on the 9ers for a while.

BCB bucks let's goo

When I hear that, I think of McCaffrey. I hear "Because I'm CMC, I'm dynamite!"
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I still don't see why they feel they have to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. If they retire or are forced out of the game at 30-32 or whatever, why can't they work in another field. Most of them do. Where is it written that pro athletes are supposed to just sit around for half their life? Even $2 or $3 million per year will give you some savings to build your future on as long as you don't go crazy buying Lambos and Ferraris. This argument has been perpetrated by the media for so long that fans believe these guys can't work when their playing career is over.

I agree that most players want to make as much as they can while playing since most have no chance to make that much at any other profession. That doesn't mean they're entitled to it.

No one says they have to sit around. Most invest in other things.

Now you're talking about how people/capitalism work.

if I told you that you could win $1M in the lottery OR you could win $20M in the lottery, which are you taking? It's not like these young men haven't been working their life off to get to this moment, now you want them to take a discount (while others most certainly aren't)?

What if I said you can make more money then you'll ever see in a 5 yr span (by a lot)… but you shouldn't do that, because you should want to work after that 5 yrs? Come on now.

Freedom to do what you want, help out who you want, do something for your friends/family that not many people get to do, no stress of paying bills AND enjoy life to the fullest is the ultimate goal. I would assume. Unfortunately that more than often requires $$$.

acting like they owe us anything in regards to how much they get paid is silly. Supply and demand, the market dictates how much something is worth in a capitalist world.

Everyone wants more money. I get it. I also know that when players get older and look back on their career they regret not winning a title more than not making an extra 2 or 3 million per year. I've heard many ex players talk about that. In Purdy's case if he is willing to take $40 million instead of $50 million that $10 million might help them keep an O lineman or a WR. It might help them win a SB. We're not talking about taking $10 million instead of $50 million. What can he do in his life with $50 million that he can't do with $40 million?
I still don't see why they feel they have to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. If they retire or are forced out of the game at 30-32 or whatever, why can't they work in another field. Most of them do. Where is it written that pro athletes are supposed to just sit around for half their life? Even $2 or $3 million per year will give you some savings to build your future on as long as you don't go crazy buying Lambos and Ferraris. This argument has been perpetrated by the media for so long that fans believe these guys can't work when their playing career is over.

I agree that most players want to make as much as they can while playing since most have no chance to make that much at any other profession. That doesn't mean they're entitled to it.

No one says they have to sit around. Most invest in other things.

Now you're talking about how people/capitalism work.

if I told you that you could win $1M in the lottery OR you could win $20M in the lottery, which are you taking? It's not like these young men haven't been working their life off to get to this moment, now you want them to take a discount (while others most certainly aren't)?

What if I said you can make more money then you'll ever see in a 5 yr span (by a lot)… but you shouldn't do that, because you should want to work after that 5 yrs? Come on now.

Freedom to do what you want, help out who you want, do something for your friends/family that not many people get to do, no stress of paying bills AND enjoy life to the fullest is the ultimate goal. I would assume. Unfortunately that more than often requires $$$.

acting like they owe us anything in regards to how much they get paid is silly. Supply and demand, the market dictates how much something is worth in a capitalist world.

Everyone wants more money. I get it. I also know that when players get older and look back on their career they regret not winning a title more than not making an extra 2 or 3 million per year. I've heard many ex players talk about that. In Purdy's case if he is willing to take $40 million instead of $50 million that $10 million might help them keep an O lineman or a WR. It might help them win a SB. We're not talking about taking $10 million instead of $50 million. What can he do in his life with $50 million that he can't do with $40 million?

Might be able to get him to sign a lower yearly salary if we give him a lot of years. I mean that comes at a gamble too, but seems worth it at this point.

Thing is that extra $ doesn't guarantee s**t. They could lose all the same end of the day.

Brock could tear his UCL after one game, have to get TJ surgery and miss what could be multiple years of football. Good thing he took less money for himself and his family (said no one ever).

I never hear legit players say man I wish I didn't get paid so much, could have won a little more lol.

asking a guy to take $10M less on a standard 4 yr deal? No one is saying yeah sure I'll take $50M LESS to maybe have a better chance to win. No one, nor should they. If Brock feels like he's worth being the highest paid QB in football, then go make everyone else around you better. Prove it. He's gonna have to be play elite football without an all-star team around him at some pt. That's just how it goes. He sounds like he wants to be great, well go do it then. Mahomes did it.

Also the only reason Brady took less was because then wife was worth half a billion dollars…and guess what the patriots didn't subsidize that cash with more top end talent all the time either. They were hardly ever up against the cap and often got rid of dudes that wanted more cash, not brought in high end young talent that required fat contracts.

Some people in the media would rank him #28 out of all starting QBs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I am more curious about the length of the contract. If he has another great year I'm giving him a 10 year deal.

I'd give him a 10 year deal and draft some offensive linemen in Day 2, to make sure he lasts 10 years.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Just my extremely biased 49er fan opinion, but I think Patrick and Purdy are one and two on that top five list. Especially his mind compared to Patrick's. Give Purdy a dominant Jerry Rice 2.0 WR that had mind melded with him, and I think he could beat any QB out there in NFL land.

Originally posted by Giedi:

Just my extremely biased 49er fan opinion, but I think Patrick and Purdy are one and two on that top five list. Especially his mind compared to Patrick's. Give Purdy a dominant Jerry Rice 2.0 WR that had mind melded with him, and I think he could beat any QB out there in NFL land.

NOT with Shanny coaching.. he'll find away to make a stupid call..
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I am more curious about the length of the contract. If he has another great year I'm giving him a 10 year deal.

The only reason that deal works for mahomes is because he knows they will continue to restructure his deal, giving him more GTD cash each time. The bill will come due there consistently pushing the cap portion of it down the road. Especially if he gets hurt. I think his agent knows this and at some point they will have to renegotiate a new deal with vastly more gtd cash on a shorter deal because of his age. I mean his cap goes up to $67M next yr.

Agreed, but I would still love a long term deal. Purdy is absolutely the type to say I can live with 2 million less a year if that means we keep Aiyuk etc.

i'm with you. outside of mahomes and an aging rodgers (we'll see how he does this season), there's no other qb i'm really drooling over tbh. there are some good ones like allen and burrow but they all have their flaws.
Just my extremely biased 49er fan opinion, but I think Patrick and Purdy are one and two on that top five list.

same
Share 49ersWebzone