49ers WR Deebo Samuel will miss 'a couple of weeks' with calf strain →

There are 209 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Nick WRONG sort of RIGHT for the the first time ever. Purdy has to perform at a super high level. Or the 49ers may say I need to see it another year. Shanahan falls out of love with QB's very quickly.

Those are kind of true to a point.

I would have to say that KS love of Purdy was quickly noticed with how much he trusted him even during his rookie year. It felt different with how he handled Purdy than he has with every other QB we had.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Nick WRONG sort of RIGHT for the the first time ever. Purdy has to perform at a super high level. Or the 49ers may say I need to see it another year. Shanahan falls out of love with QB's very quickly.

I would have to say that KS love of Purdy was quickly noticed with how much he trusted him even during his rookie year. It felt different with how he handled Purdy than he has with every other QB we had.

Totally agree with what you said. After Lance went down, they could've easily added a QB2 off the street.

Yes he likes Purdy more and I personally think Purdy is the real deal. But where he is a little right is that the 49ers often are very careful about giving long term contracts. They want you to prove it, prove it, prove it. Again and again. They are ultra cautious that way. Which has both good and bad parts to it.

Yes he likes Purdy more and I personally think Purdy is the real deal. But where he is a little right is that the 49ers often are very careful about giving long term contracts. They want you to prove it, prove it, prove it. Again and again. They are ultra cautious that way. Which has both good and bad parts to it.

Its really hard for me to see Purdy play soo bad this year to cause serious doubts on giving him a big contract, but i guess it could happen.

I think the more probable scenario that could hurt his future contract is if he has injury issues this year.

Its really hard for me to see Purdy play soo bad this year to cause serious doubts on giving him a big contract, but i guess it could happen.

I think the more probable scenario that could hurt his future contract is if he has injury issues this year.

Yes I agree on both. I think he plays really well. Probably even better in the 3rd year which will be phenomenal. Unless he has injury concerns. That's all that can take him down. If he's healthy he plays well. He will get a pretty big contract too. Although I still don't think the biggest one.
I'm cautiously optimistic but I've seen too many QBs come in and perform well for one or two years and then fade. Not just with the 49ers but around the league. It's why don't call him a franchise QB yet. Right now he's a very good promising young QB with the potential to be great.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm cautiously optimistic but I've seen too many QBs come in and perform well for one or two years and then fade. Not just with the 49ers but around the league. It's why don't call him a franchise QB yet. Right now he's a very good promising young QB with the potential to be great.

I hear you, but the stuff Purdy does well translates to him actually getting better. He get's the ball out quick, get footwork, reads the field well, can scramble and run if need be, and he is a leader.

If he had bad feet, a weak arm, held onto the ball too long, and couldn't read the field his name would be Jimmy G and we wouldn't be talking about an extension.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I think Dobbs can beat out Brandon Allen. I'm pulling for Dobbs to be QB 2 so our defense can practice against mobile strong armed QB's - not named Patrick. Joe was challenged by Steve, and won his last two Superbowl's back to back with Steve breathing down his neck. I expect Kyle to get a Dobb's or Mordecai or some QB of similar nature to push Purdy to be his best, throughout his career. I want multiple Superbowl's!!!!

[question]Have you gotten more comfortable throughout training camp?
[Joshua Dobbs]"1000%. You get more comfortable with reps. That's just the nature of anything in life, right? Especially in football when you're learning a new offense, and you have four offenses in your head at one time that you've learned in the last 365 days. It's always a process. That's why I love training camp. You get a chance to come out, compete, put your best foot forward every day. But also get those reps, they're invaluable to be able to grow and improve each and every day. it's July 31st right now, which is crazy to put things in perspective, it's not even August yet. But the goal is, when you get out there for the first preseason game, you're leaps and bounds from how you feel right now, just seven days into camp. And as you get to the second preseason game, third preseason game, the confidence, the comfort level, the efficiency with your footwork only grows. So that by September, first week, you hit the ground running. You're ready to go play the best ball you can. So each day is an opportunity to grow and get better. Each day also is filled with new installs. So, you're trying to process the new install and also not make the same mistake twice from yesterday as well. But each day you get an opportunity to go out there, you improve, you grow, you get more comfortable. And then you go out and you play the best football you can in the fall."
Nick Wright is correct. If purdy had a disastrous season and we sucked....of course the niners aren't going to do an extension. Everyone would agree with that
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Nick Wright is correct. If purdy had a disastrous season and we sucked....of course the niners aren't going to do an extension. Everyone would agree with that

not a bold take

• Giedi
  • Veteran

If he's added some MPH to his original arm (which was 55-56 mph) this last offseason and make that maybe another one or two more MPH (to maybe around 57mph-ish plus) holy cow! His arm would be in the plus range.

Kaepernick's best throw registered 59 miles per hour to lead the field of 16 quarterbacks that opted to participate. (Missouri's Blaine Gabbert refused. Alabama's Greg McElroy was injured).
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/source-radar-gun-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm

After the improvement to his mechanics and motion, Hewlett mentioned that Purdy was able to increase that to 55-56 miles per hour — which was noticeable during his Pro Day, which was scripted by Hewlett.
https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/12/14/23509567/san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-throwing-coach-will-hewlett-transformed-game
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Purdy would only lose cash, and not lose an extension

I don't think Nick Wrong understands this situation At All. Kyle could Never run his offense with Garoppolo, and he never trusted him. Kyle is dancing on his toes like a Disney cartoon, and has been, from the first game with Brock. That 'ain't never going to change.

At this point, yes. 2 1/2 years cant be just a coincidence tho....so we'll see.
Wright thinks Brock may have a bad season, but...it ain't going to happen. With all the games Brock played in college and the NFL, Brock is a veteran QB, and not a shaky third year QB. Wright also ignores how many prime time games he has played in. Brock is Cool Hand Luke. He is a Capricorn like me and a born leader and driven toward success. This year he is working on dialing in his receivers and the long ball. I am thinking 13 wins, 4000 yds, and 35 TDs for him this year. After his first year I tagged him as a legacy QB and I think it more so than ever. He's our guy
Share 49ersWebzone