There are 221 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by miked1978:
Brock probably wanted to play a few series to get into game time rhythm but now since it wasn't pretty we'll have to deal with the idiotic posts and the Grant Cohn articles. Such is life as a 49ers fan.

Good barometer for who knows how the NFL works and those without a brain.
I love the timing, anticipation, reads, processing, mechanics and throwing accuracy. In addition to the underrated athleticism. I support Purdy.

But I just wish he would get rid of that 1 throw it up for grabs moment that the WR or TE has to knock down per game. Which he did again in pre season game 2. It's one reason why he dropped in the draft. He did that somewhat at Iowa State. He sometimes has a tendency to throw up a prayer once in a while. I wish he would get that out of his game. He can be a little reckless sometimes. On certain plays.
he was playing with guys that won't be on the team in a few weeks, but with that said he left a lot to be desired.

Probably shouldn't have even played. Can't wait for preseason to be over
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Aug 19, 2024 at 9:45 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
he was playing with guys that won't be on the team in a few weeks, but with that said he left a lot to be desired.

Probably shouldn't have even played. Can't wait for preseason to be over

In the middle of the second drive I was hoping they'd just take him out of the game. No one was getting open and he was trying too hard for a preseason game. Buttcheeks were tightly clenched when he scrambled around.
Not gonna lie, he looks pedestrian without star players. Could barely complete a pass.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Not gonna lie, he looks pedestrian without star players. Could barely complete a pass.

He went from star players to, as another poster mentioned, players that will be cut off the team in a couple weeks. He didn't have crap out there and I thought his footwork and athleticism still showed

You are reading too much into it IMO. Lots of guys that won't be playing. The other team played more starters than us. For longer than us. Our offensive line is a mess right now with Banks and Williams out. Preseason doesn't matter. Purdy will be fine. Chalk it up as one bad game.
Originally posted by genus49:
Good barometer for who knows how the NFL works and those without a brain.

Ok all knowing, you tell me your thoughts on why kyle played Purdy yesterday. New Orleans played their starters and we didn't. Would you have played your franchise QB in those circumstances? What was the point?
There's no big mystery as to why Brock played.

SHANAHAN: "Just thought that it'd be good for him to get a couple reps in or a couple drives in. We were hoping it would be one long drive just to get him out, similar to what BA had last week. But we had, I think it was two, three-and-outs, so I don't want to go past that. I think it's good for quarterbacks to get in. Felt good with the guys that were in there and we were pretty conservative with what we did with them and I felt Brock kind of wanted to do it too."
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

You're not right either.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by captveg:
There's no big mystery as to why Brock played.

SHANAHAN: "Just thought that it'd be good for him to get a couple reps in or a couple drives in. We were hoping it would be one long drive just to get him out, similar to what BA had last week. But we had, I think it was two, three-and-outs, so I don't want to go past that. I think it's good for quarterbacks to get in. Felt good with the guys that were in there and we were pretty conservative with what we did with them and I felt Brock kind of wanted to do it too."

Exactly, and besides there were no joint practices either, so he needed the live action even more.

I joked that the 49ers were going to play his reps from this game on repeat as they present him with a low ball offer of a contract after this season.

But the thing is if we think about it here is what he went out there with

OL:
2 out of 5 starters on the OL from last year and they were easily the two worst ones.
Puni looks to be a great find and a potential starter but it's a job he's also able to secure because 2 guys ahead of him got hurt.

WR:
Best WR was Cowing who is projected to be our WR5 if we get Aiyuk deal done.

RB:
Schrader is likely at best our RB4 if not RB5 behind CMC, Mitchell, Mason and possibly Guerrero

TE/FB:
No Kittle or Juice out there.

Now I've seen people claim Dobbs looked better with those guys but one thing to remember is QB play is based a lot on chemistry and trust in your guys. The majority of the players out there last night aren't guys Brock gets a lot of reps with. Dobbs has gotten a lot more reps with those guys.

I joked that the 49ers were going to play his reps from this game on repeat as they present him with a low ball offer of a contract after this season.

OL:
2 out of 5 starters on the OL from last year and they were easily the two worst ones.
Puni looks to be a great find and a potential starter but it's a job he's also able to secure because 2 guys ahead of him got hurt.

WR:

RB:
Schrader is likely at best our RB4 if not RB5 behind CMC, Mitchell, Mason and possibly Guerrero

TE/FB:

Now I've seen people claim Dobbs looked better with those guys but one thing to remember is QB play is based a lot on chemistry and trust in your guys. The majority of the players out there last night aren't guys Brock gets a lot of reps with. Dobbs has gotten a lot more reps with those guys.

Dobbs also went up against more 2s and 3s on the Saints defense, while Brock and his 2s & 3s supporting staff went up against NO's starting defense. That defense locked down the receivers on pass plays rather easily. Brock went checkdown or threw it away on most plays. The one where he said "screw it, it doesn't count" and chucked it being the exception.

I personally don't mind that he attempted that pass - again, it doesn't actually matter - but of course it's now some referendum to those who want to always dwell in the misery of "the WORST is always the only way to think".

OL:

WR:

RB:

TE/FB:

they told brock to lance it up
Share 49ersWebzone