There are 222 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
The main question that will be answered this season is whether Brock is great vs serviceable. Up to this point his trajectory has been trending up, but we've seen teams frazzle him and make him look pedestrian (Baltimore, GB, KC late)…
Originally posted by DrEll:
The main question that will be answered this season is whether Brock is great vs serviceable. Up to this point his trajectory has been trending up, but we've seen teams frazzle him and make him look pedestrian (Baltimore, GB, KC late)…

The best teams will frazzled the best QBs sometimes, Baltimore was a meltdown but he was good overall in the other 2 games.
Originally posted by babarvaart:

The best teams will frazzled the best QBs sometimes, Baltimore was a meltdown but he was good overall in the other 2 games.

The thing is, when you're about to make around $50 million per year you have to be more than just good.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

The thing is, when you're about to make around $50 million per year you have to be more than just good.

1. Not really. Some other QBs with huge contracts are not much more than just good.

2. Purdy has been great, not good. Yes, even considering his down games. All QBs have off games. Otherwise they'd all have careers of 200-0 and 20 championships.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 20, 2024 at 1:38 PM ]

There isn't a single QB that's played great every game they've stepped on the field.

He's gonna have to show up and make guys around him better because that cash is going his way vs other offensive talent.

that said the market is the market….if you're a young productive (not even great) QB you're gonna reset the market or come close to it. Is what it is.

I wish the QB position had its own salary cap or something. s**ts getting out of control.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:

1. Not really. Some other QBs with huge contracts are not much more than just good.

2. Purdy has been great, not good. Yes, even considering his down games. All QBs have off games. Otherwise they'd all have careers of 200-0 and 20 championships.

I think this year will solidify whether point (1) or point (2) are what we have to look forward to in 2025 and beyond…
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

There isn't a single QB that's played great every game they've stepped on the field.

I agree. I'm a big fan of Brock Purdy. And I hope he becomes an elite quarterback in this league. I think we'll find out this year. He doesn't have to be Bradyesque or Mahomes, but I would like someone in the upper echelon like Aaron Rodgers type to lead this team for the next 10-15 years.
I just watched Sullivan's QB school video on Brock's performance to see if there was anybody open and there literally was never anybody open. So not sure what Brock could have done better. Maybe protect himself better from getting hit, Not force that one pass that nearly got picked, and throw the ball away instead of stepping out of bounds and taking the sack. But that's about it.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He's gonna have to show up and make guys around him better because that cash is going his way vs other offensive talent.

that said the market is the market….if you're a young productive (not even great) QB you're gonna reset the market or come close to it. Is what it is.

I wish the QB position had its own salary cap or something. s**ts getting out of control.
It really is. I would rate purdy as middle of the pack qb. He shouldn't break the market IMO

• bud49
  • Veteran
IMO hes better than any of those listed below Burrow,

T-1Joe Burrow Cincinnati Bengals$55 million
T-1Trevor Lawrence Jacksonville Jaguars$55 million
T-1Jordan Love Green Bay Packers$55 million
4Tua Tagovailoa Miami Dolphins$53.1 million
5Jared Goff Detroit Lions$53 million
6Justin Herbert Los Angeles Chargers$52.5 milli
[ Edited by bud49 on Aug 20, 2024 at 4:13 PM ]
Originally posted by bud49:

I'm not sure where to rank Brock tbh
Originally posted by GLT49ers:

I'd take brock over everyone except burrow and I'd have to think about Herbert. Let's see how Herbert does with better coaching now. I think he is immensely talented and has shined bright numerous times - just hasn't been consistent.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by GLT49ers:

I'd take brock over everyone except burrow and I'd have to think about Herbert. Let's see how Herbert does with better coaching now. I think he is immensely talented and has shined bright numerous times - just hasn't been consistent.

I think with harbaugh he will be good

Baltimore has a phenomenal defense. Green Bay was a driving rainstorm. Bad example there IMO. KC is the best team in the league with an all universe QB. He went toe to toe and was in overtime in the Super Bowl. It's not that bad.

Most of the rest he played good, great or excellent against. For 2 years in a row. The data is mostly really good.
Share 49ersWebzone