There are 275 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Delusion.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
The only QB I'd take over Purdy right now is Mahomes, and maybe Williams but that remains to be seen.

Part of Purdy's quick success is because he started so many games in college. That experience is invaluable. Now with the transfer portal and the money from NIL more players are staying and many are getting a 5th year because of Covid. The Broncos just named Bo Nix as their starter. I won't be surprised if he's more successful than some of the physically gifted QBs that only start for 2 years before going to the NFL Oregon's starting QB this season is a transfer that will be in his 6th year. The NFL wants instant success now and they're getting the benefit of several years of experience without paying for it.
The only QB I'd take over Purdy right now is Mahomes, and maybe Williams but that remains to be seen.
Maybe Stroud but he only has the one year to go off at this point .I would also consider Allen if I was being honest, even if he is a turnover machine. Lamar has choked to much in the playoffs. Burrow to injury prone. But outside of Mahomes there would be no QB that would be a sure upgrade.
Originally posted by Bloodless:
Maybe Stroud but he only has the one year to go off at this point .I would also consider Allen if I was being honest, even if he is a turnover machine. Lamar has choked to much in the playoffs. Burrow to injury prone. But outside of Mahomes there would be no QB that would be a sure upgrade.

Mahomes and a healthy Burrow are it for me. The rest he's comparable to as of today.
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

I'd take these players over Brock.

Probably a couple more I'd at least consider as higher ceiling gambles
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

that is the most ignorant list ever.. basically trolling level type s**t
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
that is the most ignorant list ever.. basically trolling level type s**t

Me ranking Brock as a top 10 QB is trolling, lol. I really was hoping for your approval too.
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

Mahomes, Burrow, yes.

Now we start getting into semantics...

Stroud looks great, need to see at least another year though.

Allen, great QB in their system, I don't think he would be a great QB in our system.

Jackson. He's someone I would really consider and probably would take. He's never had a play caller like KS, nothing close to him (lol Greg Roman) and he would have a solid supporting cast here as well.

Herbert, 2 years ago yes, but based on his last year play, no. He's not that transcending QB that will at least make you a .500 team even when all s**t hits the fan.

Love, no. He's good, but not great.

Stafford, old and injury prone now, so no.

Dak wasn't on that list, but he's had the play callers, supporting cast, and still finds ways to choke.

Pat, Burrow, Jackson, and maybe Stroud is who I take right now over Purdy.

There are probably more QBs "better" than Purdy, but take into account a lot of the intangibles, he's at least a top 5 guy. Locker room likes him, fits the system, has shown poise and capitalized in big moments, humbleness, leadership, stuff like that needs to go into account as well.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Aug 21, 2024 at 9:05 PM ]
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Mahomes, Burrow, yes.

Allen, great QB in their system, I don't think he would be a great QB in our system.

Jackson. He's someone I would really consider and probably would take. He's never had a play caller like KS, nothing close to him (lol Greg Roman) and he would have a solid supporting cast here as well.

Herbert, 2 years ago yes, but based on his last year play, no. He's not that transcending QB that will at least make you a .500 team even when all s**t hits the fan.

Dak wasn't on that list, but he's had the play callers, supporting cast, and still finds ways to choke.

There are probably more QBs "better" than Purdy, but take into account a lot of the intangibles, he's at least a top 5 guy. Locker room likes him, fits the system, has shown poise and capitalized in big moments, humbleness, leadership, stuff like that needs to go into account as well.

Just a couple quick comments:

- Allen would absolutely dominate for us. He can play in any system and is basically a one man show in Buffalo. Add him to our run game and his ability to threaten any area of the field with his arm… he's exactly what people fantasized Trey could be.

- Stafford is a tricky choice for me, because he's closer to the end of his career even if he's a better player now (which I believe he is). I could see taking Brock for the long term return.

*I agree there's limited information on a couple of the players (Stroud/Love), but I'd include Brock in that group as well. My list will change with new info.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Aug 21, 2024 at 9:17 PM ]
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

Yeah f that. Lol Stroud and Love over Purdy? lol
[ Edited by Montana on Aug 21, 2024 at 9:19 PM ]

Originally posted by Giedi:
Ppersonally I think Dobbs is better than Darnold.

Definitely agree.
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

Love?

Stafford?

Bro, you're a good poster, but this is bridge too far. Stafford is well past his prime and Brock has played better than Love. Brock has also played better than Stroud.

I continue to be of the opinion, that until Brock proves otherwise, he's as good as the tape he's put out, which is a top three QB. Whether that holds or not is unknown to everybody, but that's where the facts lie, so that's where I stand.
Originally posted by Chance:
Love?

Stafford?

Bro, you're a good poster, but this is bridge too far. Stafford is well past his prime and Brock has played better than Love. Brock has also played better than Stroud.

I continue to be of the opinion, that until Brock proves otherwise, he's as good as the tape he's put out, which is a top three QB. Whether that holds or not is unknown to everybody, but that's where the facts lie, so that's where I stand.

I don't really agree that Brock has played better than Love, and I'm basing that off film review (a lot of it 3rd party). I also think Love has more room to grow. That said, I definitely agree Love's sample size is small (as is Brock's to a lesser degree), so we'll see what happens going forward. I'm pretty confident in him. I'd make a similar argument for Stroud.

I elaborated on Stafford in another post above. Stafford is still a great player even if he's near the end.
Mahomes, Burrow, yes.

Just a couple quick comments:

- Allen would absolutely dominate for us. He can play in any system and is basically a one man show in Buffalo. Add him to our run game and his ability to threaten any area of the field with his arm… he's exactly what people fantasized Trey could be.

- Stafford is a tricky choice for me, because he's closer to the end of his career even if he's a better player now (which I believe he is). I could see taking Brock for the long term return.

*I agree there's limited information on a couple of the players (Stroud/Love), but I'd include Brock in that group as well. My list will change with new info.

I really do like Allen, but he is in part a system QB. You can't teach him to be a "game manger", he's gonna want to run and/or make the big plays. Purdy is a much better "game manager" than he is. Plus, Bills did neuter him this year with his passing and it actually turned their season around. At one point he was almost a 1:1 TD/INT ratio.
I really do like Allen, but he is in part a system QB. You can't teach him to be a "game manger", he's gonna want to run and/or make the big plays. Purdy is a much better "game manager" than he is. Plus, Bills did neuter him this year with his passing and it actually turned their season around. At one point he was almost a 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

He attempted the 2nd most passes in his career last year, but I agree it helped their offense to finally have a reasonably effective run game (that wasn't simply him running). Brock has arguably the best run game in the NFL behind him. That makes a QB's job much easier. Not to mention the light years better playmakers in the pass game and the significantly better coaching/system. Brock is in the best situation in the NFL. The Bills are a crap offense without Allen (or another elite QB in his place).
Share 49ersWebzone