Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 233 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
that is the most ignorant list ever.. basically trolling level type s**t

Me ranking Brock as a top 10 QB is trolling, lol. I really was hoping for your approval too.
no, having those guys ahead of brock is

I'm not alone in this opinion, though it may be unpopular in a 49ers community. I can live with that. It's not any form of disrespect or unserious to say he's the 9th best QB in the NFL. Most people would have him lower than I do, right or wrong.

I'm not alone in this opinion, though it may be unpopular in a 49ers community. I can live with that. It's not any form of disrespect or unserious to say he's the 9th best QB in the NFL. Most people would have him lower than I do, right or wrong.
and a lot of those people are misinformed and in denial. 49ers don't get any type of love nation wide and we've been a powerhouse of a team the last 4 years.

49ers fans get to see Purdy first hand and get force fed all the crap they get shown on national networks.. it's why Most people tend to be incorrect and think it's a offensive system doing most of the work.

Right now it should only be Mahomes that is ahead of BP
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 21, 2024 at 10:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Chance:
Love?

Stafford?

Bro, you're a good poster, but this is bridge too far. Stafford is well past his prime and Brock has played better than Love. Brock has also played better than Stroud.

I continue to be of the opinion, that until Brock proves otherwise, he's as good as the tape he's put out, which is a top three QB. Whether that holds or not is unknown to everybody, but that's where the facts lie, so that's where I stand.

I don't really agree that Brock has played better than Love, and I'm basing that off film review (a lot of it 3rd party). I also think Love has more room to grow. That said, I definitely agree Love's sample size is small (as is Brock's to a lesser degree), so we'll see what happens going forward. I'm pretty confident in him. I'd make a similar argument for Stroud.

I elaborated on Stafford in another post above. Stafford is still a great player even if he's near the end.

I think you're underselling Brock's film.

You could argue that Brock has a better offense, and therefore, his superior play is due to those pieces around him that don't exist to that extent on some of the other squads. I disagree, but that's a fair point. But you can't argue that Love or Stroud has put together as good play on the field. They have been wonderful, and this is not to denigrate their play, but Brock has been that much better, and consistently since he came in middle of '22.

Bit this is all subjective so I'll go by the numbers until they say otherwise.
and a lot of those people are misinformed and in denial. 49ers don't get any type of love nation wide and we've been a powerhouse of a team the last 4 years.

49ers fans get to see Purdy first hand and get force fed all the crap they get shown on national networks.. it's why the Most people tend to be incorrect and thinks it's a offensive system doing most of the work.

Right now it should only be Mahomes that is ahead of BP

To be clear, I couldn't care less what talking heads on programs from ESPN/Fox Sports/etc say. I will say I don't think it's close to reality the team doesn't 'get any love' on a national level. That's craziness. If you isolate the QB you're probably closer to the truth. That said, I'm not ranking him middle of the pack or 15-20, and purely crediting the things around him for his success, like a lot of those personalities do.

You could argue that Brock has a better offense, and therefore, his superior play is due to those pieces around him that don't exist to that extent on some of the other squads. I disagree, but that's a fair point. But you can't argue that Love or Stroud has put together as good play on the field. They have been wonderful, and this is not to denigrate their play, but Brock has been that much better, and consistently since he came in middle of '22.

I agree that Brock has been more consistent than Love in their short playing time. I think Love's best was better though and I expect that to continue. I hope it doesn't, lol.

I agree that Brock has been more consistent than Love in their short playing time. I think Love's best was better though and I expect that to continue. I hope it doesn't, lol.

Either way, these three dudes are ballers. I could see them jockeying back and forth over their careers. But I pick Brock because I'm a homer, lol.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
I really do like Allen, but he is in part a system QB. You can't teach him to be a "game manger", he's gonna want to run and/or make the big plays. Purdy is a much better "game manager" than he is. Plus, Bills did neuter him this year with his passing and it actually turned their season around. At one point he was almost a 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

He attempted the 2nd most passes in his career last year, but I agree it helped their offense to finally have a reasonably effective run game (that wasn't simply him running). Brock has arguably the best run game in the NFL behind him. That makes a QB's job much easier. Not to mention the light years better playmakers in the pass game and the significantly better coaching/system. Brock is in the best situation in the NFL. The Bills are a crap offense without Allen (or another elite QB in his place).

Ya it's close. I think at end it's a coach preference on what is better/needed. Hard to argue against both options when they bring different elements as a QB to the table.
Let's tell it like it is. The QBs are what pays everyone's salary. In this game the Saints rushers figured out real quick that they had a mismatch with the Oline on the field. It could have been bad, they pulled their punches. Brock figured out the same and without a lot of help from the Oline and his receivers, he wasn't going to get a lot of quality plays. The best play Brock made was getting off the field.
Yes

loud noises !
We can be honest. Brock was not set up for success, but he made some bad decisions. Watching a couple of those plays back, it was obvious that Brock had to dump it off quick to the checkdown, but he kept trying to make a big chunk play. That was too risky.

It was not smart and elite IQ QBs would not have done it. I like the ambition and the confidence- and I think he is a fantastic processor, but he is still green.
The oline pass pro looked worse on tv than it did on film. Especially when Brock was the QB. McKivitz, Moore and Zakelj had a lot of issues later on, but not really that many during Brocks snaps. Brock didnt play very well and that duck of a pass he threw up that probably shouldve been picked off had nothing to do with oline either. Now, WRs werent getting much separation and that hurt the pass offense more than the oline did. For all the praises Cowing is getting, he wasnt getting separation against the Saints #1s
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Aug 22, 2024 at 12:08 AM ]
Smokey Joe..is actually, Simms? Nick? Grant? Other? Lol /j
[ Edited by Montana on Aug 22, 2024 at 1:11 AM ]
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

I'd take these players over Brock.

Probably a couple more I'd at least consider as higher ceiling gambles

I respect your honesty given the red/gold glasses viewpoints of some here...and for the most part, I very much agree with those players being above Purdy. It all depends on what the criteria is - for instance, lets talk Stafford. Yeah, you can say he's better than Purdy now, but who would you take going forward? Purdy is still very much a question mark to me....not in terms of his own positive traits because he definitely has them. The fact of the matter is, he's probably in the best situation a QB could be in right now, in SF with the players around him and Shanahan. Nobody knows how he'd handle a lesser roster, was the focus of every defense, etc. etc. I've seen a few people here bash someone like Allen, and yeah...he's got a bit of a turnover flaw. That's easily answered by the fact that he is practically a one-man gang compared to Purdy. He does 'too much' because he's asked to do it all. A modern day 1980's John Elway...which is saying something. A truly elite talent.

I think ranking Purdy in the top 10 is extremely fair.
Share 49ersWebzone