Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

I'd take these players over Brock.

Probably a couple more I'd at least consider as higher ceiling gambles

Only the bolded players I would take zero questions over Brock. The other guys meh.

We need to see one more year of play IMO. If he continues to excel in Shanny's O then no doubt he's a top five QB and we will have to pay him like one (well doh).

I agree that one more year is probably needed. He also needs a couple of signature wins where he brings the team back in the 4th quarter from a deficit of 10 points or more. A SB win wouldn't hurt.

He's shown he can be a good QB when things are going his way and he makes good decisions most of the time. The thing is those aren't qualities that stand out and make the casual fan or fans around the country take notice. Until he gets those signature wins he'll continue to be viewed as a good system QB but not great. They'll say that with all the talent he has around him he should be winning. Montana had a lot of talent around him but he had some fantastic comebacks in his career. Steve Young had his share too. Brock needs his.

I've seen enough of Joe and Steve to know we have the real deal in Brock. His impressive come from behind wins in the playoffs are an example.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

Only the bolded players I would take zero questions over Brock. The other guys meh.

Zero questions taking Herbert over Brock, but would question taking Burrow over Brock? That's a weird situation you got there.

Mahomes sucks off the refs, but wins so can't fault him for that.

Allen chokes harder than Mahomes blowing off refs.

Herbert just can't seem to get back to his Pro Bowl form.

Stroud, I love and would probably take him over Brock and that's me being biased I know.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

We need to see one more year of play IMO. If he continues to excel in Shanny's O then no doubt he's a top five QB and we will have to pay him like one (well doh).

I agree that one more year is probably needed. He also needs a couple of signature wins where he brings the team back in the 4th quarter from a deficit of 10 points or more. A SB win wouldn't hurt.

He's shown he can be a good QB when things are going his way and he makes good decisions most of the time. The thing is those aren't qualities that stand out and make the casual fan or fans around the country take notice. Until he gets those signature wins he'll continue to be viewed as a good system QB but not great. They'll say that with all the talent he has around him he should be winning. Montana had a lot of talent around him but he had some fantastic comebacks in his career. Steve Young had his share too. Brock needs his.

I've seen enough of Joe and Steve to know we have the real deal in Brock. His impressive come from behind wins in the playoffs are an example.

Leading a 40 yard drive and getting in position for a FG isn't huge. Half the games I watch have a last minute drive like that. Purdy has three 4th quarter game winning drives. One in the regular season and 2 in the playoffs. None of them were when he trailed by 10 points or more. The only one that was a TD drive was against GB.

FG wins aren't memorable. Maybe for Niner fans but not to the general public. That's why so many people still don't believe he's a franchise QB. I'm a Purdy fan but until he has a couple big games where he does something amazing people around the country will doubt him. To be fair, he hasn't had a lot of opportunities since the 49ers are so good. They rarely fall behind by more than one score.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 23, 2024 at 9:13 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

Leading a 40 yard drive and getting in position for a FG isn't huge. Half the games I watch have a last minute drive like that. Purdy has three 4th quarter game winning drives. One in the regular season and 2 in the playoffs. None of them were when he trailed by 10 points or more. The only one that was a TD drive was against GB.

FG wins aren't memorable. Maybe for Niner fans but not to the general public. That's why so many people still don't believe he's a franchise QB. I'm a Purdy fan but until he has a couple big games where he does something amazing people around the country will doubt him. Especially when they see highlights of amazing game winning drives from Mahomes, Allen and some of the so called elite QBs.

Heh, Joe had **Zero** of any come-from-behind or keep-ahead playoff wins in his 2nd year.
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

FG wins aren't memorable. Maybe for Niner fans but not to the general public. That's why so many people still don't believe he's a franchise QB. I'm a Purdy fan but until he has a couple big games where he does something amazing people around the country will doubt him. To be fair, he hasn't had a lot of opportunities since the 49ers are so good. They rarely fall behind by more than one score.
Tom Brady started his career by getting into FG range, even won SBs that way

saying QBs have to do this and that to be considered a top QB is just not being genuine
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
For once we're in agreement lol.

Elway was unicorn for his time

A unicorn???

From a physical standpoint yes. Rocket arm, athletic, had the size.

I thought you said you know football very well lol
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

Zero questions taking Herbert over Brock, but would question taking Burrow over Brock? That's a weird situation you got there.

Stroud, I love and would probably take him over Brock and that's me being biased I know.

Burrow stays injured.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

saying QBs have to do this and that to be considered a top QB is just not being genuine

It sure is. Tom Brady became famous for leading the team to SB wins which is something I said Purdy has to do. Driving downfield with 2 minutes to play is fairly easy with rules being what they are now. Three or 4 completions can put the team in FG range with all the kickers that can make it from 50-60 yards. We've all seen how quickly a team can move down the field as teams play deep to prevent a TD.
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

It sure is. Tom Brady became famous for leading the team to SB wins which is something I said Purdy has to do. Driving downfield with 2 minutes to play is fairly easy with rules being what they are now. Three or 4 completions can put the team in FG range with all the kickers that can make it from 50-60 yards. We've all seen how quickly a team can move down the field as teams play deep to prevent a TD.
So Purdy did do that in the SB, the defense couldn't make a stop. Why does that land on Purdy

Purdy has already shown he can do everything, hopefully he can continue doing that
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

A unicorn???

Elway was sorta-kinda the patrick mahomes of his time. Personally between Elway and Joe, I'd side with Joe.

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

So Purdy did do that in the SB, the defense couldn't make a stop. Why does that land on Purdy

Purdy has already shown he can do everything, hopefully he can continue doing that

Purdy didn't bring them back from 10 points down. It was a FG drive. Not impressive. The FG that set a new SB record was more impressive than the drive. If you recall. Mahomes trailed the Niners by 10 points entering the 4th quarter and rallied the team to a big victory.

I'm not knocking Purdy. I'm just explaining why the rest of the country doesn't think he's elite.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Jackson
Stafford
Stroud
Love

Burrow stays injured.

Missed only 6 games last season? Carved up the 9ers defense like they didn't belong in the NFL.

A unicorn???

Quarterbacks who have/had a rocket arm, athletic, had the size:

John Elway
Cam Newton
Colin Kaepernick
Jamarcus Russell
Josh Allen
Michael Vick
Randall Cunningham
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler

Unicorn implies one of a kind.
I love Brock Purdy. But for people to say there is only 1 QB in the NFL that they have would rather have than him is insane to me.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I love Brock Purdy. But for people to say there is only 1 QB in the NFL that they have would rather have than him is insane to me.

I would take Josh Allen, Joe Burrow and CJ Stroud over Purdy, Brock Purdy might agree too.
Share 49ersWebzone