Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 198 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
The only reason Kyle still has a job is bc he lucked out with Purdy. If Brock wasn't on this team I suspect he would have been fired or close to being fired.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Patton:
In other news, Trey Lance shines in Dallas vs the Chargers with 3 INTS 🤣

Ended up with 5 ints

goodness poor Lance

Two were redzone picks and he had two fumbles (I don't think he lost either though).

Hie decision making is elementary, that's why Kyle was running with him so much.

Crazy stat line. 393 yards and one TD. 90 yards running and one TD. 5 INTs. I wonder how many were poor reds, bad throws or tipped passes.

To me...it looked a heck of alot like playing the passing lanes in basketball, you don't have to defend the target, just lurk on the point guard.

That Chargers defense reminds me of SF of 2 years ago. They hold after the snap before they drop into coverage. just like we did under Ryans, it steals at least a second from the QB's time to process. Trey was throwing picks to underneath defenders like he had no idea they were there.

I think SD had what? 60-70? pass attempts on tape from the first 2 preseason games, and just played Lance's tendencies. They broke on the ball and filled passing lanes like they knew what was coming. That might have been SD's coaching staffs dry run for the regular season. Most teams just go vanilla in preseason, but it is possible with that new staff they took that game regular season serious.

I could be really wrong on all that, no telling...

Either way yeah....Lance appeared to have no idea what he was looking at and was just letting the ball rip without a care in the world.

on the plus side, best looking passes of Lance's career in that game, he had a couple layers throws, hit some guys in stride. He still has that young scramblers achilles heel that sometimes he is not sure if he is going to run or pass and eats a sack, or gives up on a play wayyyy to early and does not covert on 3rd because he takes off too soon....but even with 5 picks that easily Lance's best game in the NFL.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DrEll:
The only reason Kyle still has a job is bc he lucked out with Purdy. If Brock wasn't on this team I suspect he would have been fired or close to being fired.

Pretty sure even without Purdy, Shanahan still would've had a job. You don't fire a HC like Kyle then try to go out and find the next best thing, because Kyle is the next best thing. And if the 9ers did fire Kyle, you'd be saying how stupid the 9ers were for doing it.

Kyle tried lots of ways to get a QB, turns out the long shot was the winner. He did draft Purdy so deserves credit for that. Also the fact the team was competitive with a host of avg QBs was impressive too. He's about a successful as you can be without winning a Super Bowl.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Pretty sure even without Purdy, Shanahan still would've had a job. You don't fire a HC like Kyle then try to go out and find the next best thing, because Kyle is the next best thing. And if the 9ers did fire Kyle, you'd be saying how stupid the 9ers were for doing it.

Yep, for sure. And if they were dumb enough to fire Shanahan, how many seconds would elapse before he had another top level job? And who would they have promoted to replace him? Sometimes, the negative types on this site just go too far.

The team lucked out with Purdy though, no question. But sometimes the dice roll in your favour. And actually if you read about his college career, it is surprising that he dropped so low.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

There's a certain amount of luck involved with every draft pick. If there wasn't then all the picks would be successful. I every draft there are better players found in the later rounds than some of the guys taken early.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 25, 2024 at 9:57 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Oh for sure - luck is a big part of the draft. But ShanaLynch has had a history of hitting it big on day three picks. But yeah, how often do you hit a potential Joe Montana 2.0 - dead last - in any draft class! 👀👀👀
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:

Yep, for sure. And if they were dumb enough to fire Shanahan, how many seconds would elapse before he had another top level job? And who would they have promoted to replace him? Sometimes, the negative types on this site just go too far.

The team lucked out with Purdy though, no question. But sometimes the dice roll in your favour. And actually if you read about his college career, it is surprising that he dropped so low.

Exactly, who the hell do you promote or do you try your hand at the next best Coordinator out there? Then you're in for a whole new changeover in staff, new system and most likely will want his own players. 49ers already been through this song and dance from 2003 to 2011, then 2015 to 2017 when they finally found someone WHO WORKS!!!!

No I think Kyle is exactly the coach Jed described he was looking for. His words "an offensive minded head coach that ensures we keep the same offensive system annually so we can build up a franchise QB in a stable environment " to paraphrase

I think Kyle being the offensive mind that he is will be afforded a lot more rope than most. Plus the draft is a crapshoot

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Yup, Purdy had mono the absolutely worst time in high school during his recruitment window, and then in college gets stuck with an incompetent offensive coordinator. He was just so close to being undrafted it's not even a joke to me. The football gods were definitely smiling for ShanaLynch when Purdy got drafted.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Exactly, who the hell do you promote or do you try your hand at the next best Coordinator out there? Then you're in for a whole new changeover in staff, new system and most likely will want his own players. 49ers already been through this song and dance from 2003 to 2011, then 2015 to 2017 when they finally found someone WHO WORKS!!!!

Agree 💯 % and I'll just add I think Kyle hit on two more good QBs in Dobbs and Mordecai. And no, he didn't trade three first round picks for any of them!

That's probably actually true.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's probably actually true.
Not even close lol
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 25, 2024 at 10:26 AM ]
Just think if we had not drafted Purdy.. we would have had 5 int Lance , Jim whenever he came back but would not have been able "to he himself" lol and Sam? Or Allen? That other guy from the NFC Champ Game? /j lol..basically, very bad. Dobbs would probably be QB1 though..our best shot out of the bunch lol
Share 49ersWebzone