Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 177 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Montana:
Just think if we had not drafted Purdy.. we would have had 5 int Lance , Jim whenever he came back but would not have been able "to he himself" lol and Sam? Or Allen? That other guy from the NFC Champ Game? /j lol..basically, very bad. Dobbs would probably be QB1 though..our best shot out of the bunch lol

We'd probably have Cousins.
Just think if we had not drafted Purdy.. we would have had 5 int Lance , Jim whenever he came back but would not have been able "to he himself" lol and Sam? Or Allen? That other guy from the NFC Champ Game? /j lol..basically, very bad. Dobbs would probably be QB1 though..our best shot out of the bunch lol

maybe....

But odds are some other QB would beat him out, or he would not be 5 int lance in a highly structured offense. This line of thinking always reminds of Brett Farve and what he looked like with the handcuffs on, vs what he looked like without Hogrim.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:

I think the immobile pocket QB (Kirk Cousins model) is dead to Kyle now. The latest Kyle QBs are highly mobile QBs in Dobbs and Mordecai. I'm betting he's adding scramble drill plays as we speak just for Dobbs and Mordecai as Allen doesn't have their mobility.
Doubt it would be the 5 Int Lance. QBs play a lot better here. Along with Lance we would have drafted and signed QBs after the 22 season
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 25, 2024 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Doubt it would be the 5 Int Lance. QBs play a lot better here. Along with Lance we would have drafted and signed QBs after the 22 season
I agree, McCarthy has 5 int Lance. Shanny would get that down to 2 int Lance, max.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Patton:
In other news, Trey Lance shines in Dallas vs the Chargers with 3 INTS 🤣

Ended up with 5 ints

goodness poor Lance

Two were redzone picks and he had two fumbles (I don't think he lost either though).

Hie decision making is elementary, that's why Kyle was running with him so much.

Crazy stat line. 393 yards and one TD. 90 yards running and one TD. 5 INTs. I wonder how many were poor reads, bad throws or tipped passes.

To me, all of them were bad except one. The fourth int was essentially ripped out of the WRs hands. I don't really blame him for that one.

just watching him though, it doesn't look right. Still looks choppy and difficult. He's improved in areas but still no where ready to playing in a live game.

they gave him a ton of reps - he played the entire game in the preseason, pretty much all 3 games.

He just isn't ready to lead a team that is trying to be competitive. Needs to be on a team with no expectations but it's getting late for that. I don't see anyone thinking of giving him a chance to be their QB if the future anymore.

he may be able to pull off something after like 8-10 years of being a backup, like geno smith.
Originally posted by Patton:
In other news, Trey Lance shines in Dallas vs the Chargers with 3 INTS 🤣

Ended up with 5 ints

goodness poor Lance

Two were redzone picks and he had two fumbles (I don't think he lost either though).

Hie decision making is elementary, that's why Kyle was running with him so much.

Crazy stat line. 393 yards and one TD. 90 yards running and one TD. 5 INTs. I wonder how many were poor reads, bad throws or tipped passes.

To me, all of them were bad except one. The fourth int was essentially ripped out of the WRs hands. I don't really blame him for that one.

just watching him though, it doesn't look right. Still looks choppy and difficult. He's improved in areas but still no where ready to playing in a live game.

they gave him a ton of reps - he played the entire game in the preseason, pretty much all 3 games.

He just isn't ready to lead a team that is trying to be competitive. Needs to be on a team with no expectations but it's getting late for that. I don't see anyone thinking of giving him a chance to be their QB if the future anymore.

he may be able to pull off something after like 8-10 years of being a backup, like geno smith.

He was so raw. Even now he has far less reps combined between college and the NFL than Purdy does. The Niners never intended on starting him that first yer. JG's injuries kind of forced him into a situation where he was a QB on a playoff ready team. He was way too raw for that.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think the immobile pocket QB (Kirk Cousins model) is dead to Kyle now. The latest Kyle QBs are highly mobile QBs in Dobbs and Mordecai. I'm betting he's adding scramble drill plays as we speak just for Dobbs and Mordecai as Allen doesn't have their mobility.

You and I seem to be becoming Mordy fans:).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

You and I seem to be becoming Mordy fans:).

Yes, a big fan of Mordecai. I think he can be another Brock Purdy with a bit more Athleticism. Just needs time to absorb the offense and get used to the NFL speed. I'm excited for both Dobbs and Mordecai, Allen, not so much.

P.S. I'm still also a Trey and Jimmy fan.
I can see that happening. McCarthy and Jim Harbaugh are good QB coaches. Trey is in good hands with either coach.

I was being facetious. The joke was that he was playing for both teams. Hence a 2nd contract. He contributed to almost a 1/3 of all of LACs catches

• Giedi
  • Veteran
I can see that happening. McCarthy and Jim Harbaugh are good QB coaches. Trey is in good hands with either coach.

I was being facetious. The joke was that he was playing for both teams. Hence a 2nd contract. He contributed to almost a 1/3 of all of LACs catches

Man that's a Krizay take! 👀

He was so raw. Even now he has far less reps combined between college and the NFL than Purdy does. The Niners never intended on starting him that first yer. JG's injuries kind of forced him into a situation where he was a QB on a playoff ready team. He was way too raw for that.

He should have stayed in school. Never should have left after a year of not playing in Covid and just one season of ball. Don't feel bad for him, kid got paid being a top pick. That's the upside. Downside is he sucks at football and will likely be out of the league in two years, becoming a cautionary tale to all raw college QBs.
Originally posted by DrEll:
The only reason Kyle still has a job is bc he lucked out with Purdy. If Brock wasn't on this team I suspect he would have been fired or close to being fired.

Lmao
Originally posted by captveg:

Probably. But then we would be choking in the NFC Championship/Super Bowl even harder
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:

He should have stayed in school. Never should have left after a year of not playing in Covid and just one season of ball. Don't feel bad for him, kid got paid being a top pick. That's the upside. Downside is he sucks at football and will likely be out of the league in two years, becoming a cautionary tale to all raw college QBs.

EXACTLY what I had said then @ RICE... I gave examples of several young QBs from college who got excited so soon that they felt ready because of how agents got in their mind.. LANCE showed talent, he did, but that was about it.. then you got agents, media and even so called EXPERT that fed everyone HERE (alone) that he can be an INSTANT SUCCESS because we have Shanny.. The same QB guru how worked wonder on ... damn.. NOBODY...

Tommy Maddox
John Walsh
Mark Sanchez
Christian Hackenberg
Share 49ersWebzone