There are 210 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you're not sure cause we all went through this in real time. We needed a big time QB and the chance to try to get one and have the time to sit the rookie QB was exactly that time.

So you didn't get better at QB year 1, and didn't improve your chances to win the SB at that position or elsewhere while expending valuable resources.

You committed to playing and developing the young QB in year 2 which not only didn't improve your SB chances, but made a SB win less likely.

Then there's the obvious point that Lance needed every rep he could get as a QB who effectively played one year at a lower level of college football, and didn't play at all (except for a one game showcase) his final year.

We should also probably note that we had to play Lance a certain way in his brief playing time year 2 in order to maximize our chances to win and he ended up with a catastrophic injury two games in. This hurt his development in two distinct ways and put us right into the position we spent 3 1st round picks and 30+ million to avoid. Think about what year 3 would have looked like without hitting on Purdy.

It was bad for us and Lance, clearly. All of it predictable given how raw of a prospect he was. One of the most ludicrous draft/trade decisions I've seen.
Lance was given certain types of plays/Options.. Lance decided to run more than pass and the rest is history

plus that is all hindsight and no one can predict the future.

And the hitting Purdy pick.. you can say that about every pick we drafted. More than not we hit on our picks
thats all hindsight .. like i said I've and many other have gone through this in real time. After Lance sat for most of the year and showed he could be the guy in the Houston game. no one was saying it was terrible or gambled our future. Why, because it wasn't true at the time. We all couldn't wait for 2022 as once again we all realized the QB was still the weak link.

2 valuable assets is worth hitting on a QB. We were missing a big time QB and nothing else as you can see. The two late late round traded picks still didn't affect us today.

I mean if we can get far with Jimmy, we have a good shot with anyone just as good and why does it have to be lucky to get Brock? We drafted him, we kept him on the roster. Some of you guys are comparing Mordy to a better version of Brock. It's what we do with late round picks who have chips on their shoulders

in no way does a simulation have the QB getting injured 999 times out of 1k

This is just not true, lol. I know because I remember exactly how I felt about the move in 'real time', which was not good at all, and I argued about it here. Houston game was not encouraging… it was the opposite.

I spent two offseasons correctly identifying where this experiment was going. I'm not patting myself on the back either as it was pretty obvious except to a contingent of hopeful 49ers fans.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Aug 25, 2024 at 9:31 PM ]
thats all hindsight .. like i said I've and many other have gone through this in real time. After Lance sat for most of the year and showed he could be the guy in the Houston game. no one was saying it was terrible or gambled our future. Why, because it wasn't true at the time. We all couldn't wait for 2022 as once again we all realized the QB was still the weak link.

2 valuable assets is worth hitting on a QB. We were missing a big time QB and nothing else as you can see. The two late late round traded picks still didn't affect us today.

I mean if we can get far with Jimmy, we have a good shot with anyone just as good and why does it have to be lucky to get Brock? We drafted him, we kept him on the roster. Some of you guys are comparing Mordy to a better version of Brock. It's what we do with late round picks who have chips on their shoulders

in no way does a simulation have the QB getting injured 999 times out of 1k

This is just not true, lol. I know because I remember exactly how I felt about the move in 'real time', which was not good at all, and I argued about it here. Houston game was not encouraging… it was the opposite.

I spent two offseasons correctly identifying where this experiment was going. I'm not patting myself on the back either as it was pretty obvious except to a contingent of hopeful 49ers fans.
It is true and to be that critical of a rookie playing in a big game for us was and is promising. He isn't supposed to be a Vet out there. You also have Brock at a bottom 10 QB so i can't trust your takes
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 25, 2024 at 9:34 PM ]
It is true and to be that critical of a rookie playing in a big game for us was and is promising. He isn't supposed to be a Vet out there. You also have Brock at a bottom 10 QB so i can't trust your takes

I don't have Brock as a bottom 10 QB. I have him at about the 9th best QB in the league.

And as far as being critical of Lance as a rookie, I really wasn't. He was pretty much exactly as expected. Basically an unplayable asset on a team ready to win now. Needed considerable playing time to develop with success far from guaranteed. I was critical of the organization for their process, as I'm arguing here. Lance didn't draft himself.

I don't have Brock as a bottom 10 QB. I have him at about the 9th best QB in the league.

And as far as being critical of Lance as a rookie, I really wasn't. He was pretty much exactly as expected. Basically an unplayable asset on a team ready to win now. Needed considerable playing time to develop with success far from guaranteed. I was critical of the organization for their process, as I'm arguing here. Lance didn't draft himself.
Bottom of a Top 10 is what i meant and holds true.

an unplayable asset would have lost us the game, but he came through. Today's lance isn't what we had. Who i agree is unplayable currently

I don't attach myself to players and not trying to defend Lance. I posted before we even made the trade, that this would be best time to move up, as our core guys were young and we had decent QB in jimmy.

We may have another trade like this coming if we can get a first for BA. Maybe use the 2 firsts to move up to get a Tackle next year?
Bottom of a Top 10 is what i meant and holds true.

an unplayable asset would have lost us the game, but he came through. Today's lance isn't what we had. Who i agree is unplayable currently

I don't attach myself to players and not trying to defend Lance. I posted before we even made the trade, that this would be best time to move up, as our core guys were young and we had decent QB in jimmy.

We may have another trade like this coming if we can get a first for BA. Maybe use the 2 firsts to move up to get a Tackle next year?

No one is bashing Lance for being Lance, it's really the moves/choices the team made. Whoever we drafted out of those 3 qbs - was going to be a disappointing outcome (based on how things have played out, IMO unfortunately. When I critique Lance - it's not cause I hate him as a player, I just thought selecting that player to do what the team needed at the time was insane. Didn't make any sense to me.

Lance wasn't ready, still really isn't, to lead a competitive team. Kyle ran a very limited offense to protect the team and Lance from himself at the time.

that Texans team that year was a bottom dweller team and one of the worst defenses in the nfl. Our performance against them that day was one of the worst performances that year against them - we were very choppy on offense - wasn't smooth or consistent at all.

it was a good situation for a young qb but it's kinda crazy to ask a young qb to to win you a superbowl in general (first 2-3 years in the league). But you needed a polished experienced guy.

a big reason Brock worked out so well is cause the type of football he had been playing since high school had helped prepare him for the nfl, fortunately for us.

now we just need to hope Brock keeps growing and getting better. Lol
[ Edited by tankle104 on Aug 26, 2024 at 6:37 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

💯%
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
No one is bashing Lance for being Lance, it's really the moves/choices the team made. Whoever we drafted out of those 3 qbs - was going to be a disappointing outcome (based on how things have played out, IMO unfortunately. When I critique Lance - it's not cause I hate him as a player, I just thought selecting that player to do what the team needed at the time was insane. Didn't make any sense to me.

Lance wasn't ready, still really isn't, to lead a competitive team. Kyle ran a very limited offense to protect the team and Lance from himself at the time.

that Texans team that year was a bottom dweller team and one of the worst defenses in the nfl. Our performance against them that day was one of the worst performances that year against them - we were very choppy on offense - wasn't smooth or consistent at all.

it was a good situation for a young qb but it's kinda crazy to ask a young qb to to win you a superbowl in general (first 2-3 years in the league). But you needed a polished experienced guy.

a big reason Brock worked out so well is cause the type of football he had been playing since high school had helped prepare him for the nfl, fortunately for us.

now we just need to hope Brock keeps growing and getting better. Lol

Brock first got his high school QB position because the high school HC noticed how accurate his throws were when returning kicks, back to the coach.

That accuracy is unreal and I think a generational talent. I don't see that accuracy in Lance. I think Lance can eventually develop it, but Brock has it naturally and in spades.
Mike Sando's QB tiers survey was released today. Purdy was in a very large tier 2 and ranked 12th I believe. Just outside of the top 10 in both of the annual polls that include coaches, executives, and/or scouts.
Mike Sando's QB tiers survey was released today. Purdy was in a very large tier 2 and ranked 12th I believe. Just outside of the top 10 in both of the annual polls that include coaches, executives, and/or scouts.

I'm not big on rankings but I would say that's probably fair. A couple more seasons like last year and he'll climb the list, especially if he wins a SB.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm not big on rankings but I would say that's probably fair. A couple more seasons like last year and he'll climb the list, especially if he wins a SB.

Felt it was worthwhile posting considering we have some ultra homers who want to dismiss peoples' opinions if they don't have Purdy as a top 5 qb, or better. Rankings are pretty meaningless outside of being fun to discuss.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Fair ? At least 5 guys shouldn't be above Purdy. But it's cool they don't really watch
Fair ? At least 5 guys shouldn't be above Purdy. But it's cool they don't really watch

Coaches and executives don't watch? Lmao.

They don't if you really want to take this seriously

You think they are actually voting on this? Haha 95% are handing it off to there interns. If you asking John Lynch who he voted for he would probably look at you like he has no idea what you are talking about.
Share 49ersWebzone