LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 232 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Patton:
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by floridaMan:
he is the lowest paid QB on his own team That big paycheck will come soon enough.

Just makes the story more sweet.

Well, now that Brock got that fat Ariat contract endorsement, hopefully we won't have to break the bank for him. He's such a wholesome, god loving and now married guy, he will probably just play for the love of the game. His house is run by love and by god. His wife doesn't need any of that fancy, shmancy gucci or prada, she just lives for his love and the excitement of church activities.

We need to start targeting more wholesome guys in the draft and less thugs like Pew Pew Pearsall.

I'm one of the people who think he's may pull a Brady and not take as much as he can possibly get but that doesn't mean I think he's going to play for free.

For easy numbers/convo sake, let's say he can ask for $50M - I can see him taking around $40M. Cause that $10M a year can equal a couple really good players around him or keeping a star player. I don't think he will do it for the franchise, but for the players around him. Hes still filthy rich and has a higher chance of a better team around him.

if he doesn't, then he doesn't. No big deal. It's entirely his choice and I'll understand either way. He just strikes me as the kind of guy who may do it.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Guys...I think we did alright with Purdy.

Member the hype on Kenny..only to fizzle out pretty quickly? Lol. Seems like BP was more of the 1st rounder and Kenny 7th. Those two names should have been switched. Lol. We certainly got gold ✨️

Yeah Kenny is nothing but a whiny little b***h now.

The list proves QB especially is picked wrong. They look for height, weight, speed, strong arm. But processing, reads, progressions, decision making, timing, anticipation, mechanics and throwing accuracy are underrated. All the things Purdy is good at.
JOriginally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Member the hype on Kenny..only to fizzle out pretty quickly? Lol. Seems like BP was more of the 1st rounder and Kenny 7th. Those two names should have been switched. Lol. We certainly got gold ✨️

Yeah Kenny is nothing but a whiny little b***h now.

*Jenny Pickett
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The list proves QB especially is picked wrong. They look for height, weight, speed, strong arm. But processing, reads, progressions, decision making, timing, anticipation, mechanics and throwing accuracy are underrated. All the things Purdy is good at.

turns out that the physical stuff doesn't matter if they dont have those other traits, who knew.

Too many people analyze the QB position like they do other positions - where anything can be learned. so if they have physical traits, we can just teach him to be a great qb. it's complete nonsense. lol

The person needs the right mental makeup - that isn't teachable at this level. either they have it or they don't. Trey is on year 4 and he can't even crack the backup spot. 4 years of the highest level of coaching and he still can't take the backup spot.

if they have the right mental makeup (processing, timing, anticipation, accuracy, mechanics etc) AND physical traits - wonderful.
if all they have are the physical traits - it's worthless at this level. lol how many times do we have to see this before people realize it? literally decades of data to prove this thing wrong.
Originally posted by tankle104:

turns out that the physical stuff doesn't matter if they dont have those other traits, who knew.

Too many people analyze the QB position like they do other positions - where anything can be learned. so if they have physical traits, we can just teach him to be a great qb. it's complete nonsense. lol

The person needs the right mental makeup - that isn't teachable at this level. either they have it or they don't. Trey is on year 4 and he can't even crack the backup spot. 4 years of the highest level of coaching and he still can't take the backup spot.

if they have the right mental makeup (processing, timing, anticipation, accuracy, mechanics etc) AND physical traits - wonderful.
if all they have are the physical traits - it's worthless at this level. lol how many times do we have to see this before people realize it? literally decades of data to prove this thing wrong.

Yes you are completely right.

It has nothing to do with underrated it's just hard to measure that. It's easy to measure arm strength, speed, height.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree 💯 % and it helps if your dad runs a QB school that coaches, develops and scouts QBs even prior to high school.

https://qbcollective.com/

I think we could all agree that the mental traits for a QB are critical. But I would throw in that, seemingly, scouts and talent evaluators aren't easily able to determine whether a college QB will demonstrate these traits at the pro level. If they did, Brock Purdy would've been drafted higher... Mac Jones was said to have all these traits, but he flamed out in New England and is a backup.

The college game is different from the NFL game, and trying to determine whether a player can make the leap, is the major question.
So it's why we see a lot of teams falling in love with measurables, because, even if they don't have the anticipation to throw the ball on time, they'll rifle the ball in there. Throw in the fact that teams believe they can develop their QB, like Josh Allen and the Bills successfully did, and it's not hard to see why teams draft the way they do.

My major question to talent evaluators about Brock Purdy though, is that it seemed like they missed on how agile and slippery he is in evading the pass rush.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

I think we could all agree that the mental traits for a QB are critical. But I would throw in that, seemingly, scouts and talent evaluators aren't easily able to determine whether a college QB will demonstrate these traits at the pro level. If they did, Brock Purdy would've been drafted higher... Mac Jones was said to have all these traits, but he flamed out in New England and is a backup.

The college game is different from the NFL game, and trying to determine whether a player can make the leap, is the major question.
So it's why we see a lot of teams falling in love with measurables, because, even if they don't have the anticipation to throw the ball on time, they'll rifle the ball in there. Throw in the fact that teams believe they can develop their QB, like Josh Allen and the Bills successfully did, and it's not hard to see why teams draft the way they do.

My major question to talent evaluators about Brock Purdy though, is that it seemed like they missed on how agile and slippery he is in evading the pass rush.

Yeah it's a crap shoot from College to the NFL. Especially at QB. You don't know who will translate. He was very mobile in College if you watch the tape. So I don't know how they missed that. But they did seem to think his quickness wouldn't translate. His accuracy was there in College and the pros.

He did do some really wild decisions sometimes in College which would backfire. I think that's how he dropped. His wild decisions seem way down. So his decision making is better. The QB coach and Shanahan have him choosing a lot better. That was his one big knock. In fact was it Sophomore or Junior year he was projected as a 2nd round pick. Not the biggest guy. So they recognized the accuracy. He seemed to make some wild decisions. Later in his College career. Not sure of the causes. But even Cyclones boards will show you some low lights. Which dropped him. In addition to the high lights. He mostly doesn't try to do too much with us where he did with the Cyclones. Maybe because he had to. They lacked talent compared to the competition.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 4, 2024 at 12:50 PM ]

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

It has nothing to do with underrated it's just hard to measure that. It's easy to measure arm strength, speed, height.

So there is no such thing as an offensive/QB guru?

It's all just luck?
Originally posted by glorydayz:

It's all just luck?

Huh? What does that have to do with what is discussed...
Originally posted by glorydayz:

It's all just luck?

Huh? What does that have to do with what is discussed...

That wasn't meant for you, my bad. should have bolded what I was responding to.

Yeah it's a crap shoot from College to the NFL. Especially at QB. You don't know who will translate. He was very mobile in College if you watch the tape. So I don't know how they missed that. But they did seem to think his quickness wouldn't translate. His accuracy was there in College and the pros.

He did do some really wild decisions sometimes in College which would backfire. I think that's how he dropped. His wild decisions seem way down. So his decision making is better. The QB coach and Shanahan have him choosing a lot better. That was his one big knock. In fact was it Sophomore or Junior year he was projected as a 2nd round pick. Not the biggest guy. So they recognized the accuracy. He seemed to make some wild decisions. Later in his College career. Not sure of the causes. But even Cyclones boards will show you some low lights. Which dropped him. In addition to the high lights. He mostly doesn't try to do too much with us where he did with the Cyclones. Maybe because he had to. They lacked talent compared to the competition.

The Cyclones did lack talent and he did try too hard to compensate. However, what should have been more considered was how much he improved that team despite his and its flaws. Considering his head coach basically handed over all praise for turning the program around to Purdy... well, that should have been more respected by scouts and front offices.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 4, 2024 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:

The Cyclones did lack talent and he did try too hard to compensate. However, what should have been more considered was how much he improved that team despite his and its flaws. Considering his head coach basically handed over all praise for turning the program around to Purdy... well, that should have been more respected by scouts and front offices.

Yeah I agree with what you are saying. A lot of good points there.
Share 49ersWebzone