LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 209 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The list proves QB especially is picked wrong. They look for height, weight, speed, strong arm. But processing, reads, progressions, decision making, timing, anticipation, mechanics and throwing accuracy are underrated. All the things Purdy is good at.

It isnt that those things are underrated. Its that those things are not points of emphasis for college QBs. So you are all you can really go on is athleticism, arm strength, speed, physical attributes, etc. You obviously can learn accuracy and what not, but college style offenses dont focus on progressions and pro style offense. So teams are left to guess how their physical attributes would translate to pro football.
Originally posted by tankle104:
turns out that the physical stuff doesn't matter if they dont have those other traits, who knew.

Too many people analyze the QB position like they do other positions - where anything can be learned. so if they have physical traits, we can just teach him to be a great qb. it's complete nonsense. lol

The person needs the right mental makeup - that isn't teachable at this level. either they have it or they don't. Trey is on year 4 and he can't even crack the backup spot. 4 years of the highest level of coaching and he still can't take the backup spot.

if they have the right mental makeup (processing, timing, anticipation, accuracy, mechanics etc) AND physical traits - wonderful.
if all they have are the physical traits - it's worthless at this level. lol how many times do we have to see this before people realize it? literally decades of data to prove this thing wrong.

Because those types of things are incredibly difficult to measure, especially coming from non-pro style offenses....which a majority of QBs come from.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
turns out that the physical stuff doesn't matter if they dont have those other traits, who knew.

Too many people analyze the QB position like they do other positions - where anything can be learned. so if they have physical traits, we can just teach him to be a great qb. it's complete nonsense. lol

The person needs the right mental makeup - that isn't teachable at this level. either they have it or they don't. Trey is on year 4 and he can't even crack the backup spot. 4 years of the highest level of coaching and he still can't take the backup spot.

if they have the right mental makeup (processing, timing, anticipation, accuracy, mechanics etc) AND physical traits - wonderful.
if all they have are the physical traits - it's worthless at this level. lol how many times do we have to see this before people realize it? literally decades of data to prove this thing wrong.

Because those types of things are incredibly difficult to measure, especially coming from non-pro style offenses....which a majority of QBs come from.

Yeah, of course it's extremely difficult to measure - but I feel like it's not something considered often by fans. like watching film and looking at their anticipation, how they read defenses, touch, accuracy etc.

I always find it interesting how a lot of the best qbs come from mid tier programs where theyre constantly in dog fights, usually less talented than their competitors, and the qb has to play at a high level to elevate the program to compete game in and game out.
Josh Allen - Wyoming
Aaron Rodgers - Cal
Mahommes - Texas Tech
Big Ben - Miami Ohio
Rivers - NC State
Lamar Jackson - Louisville
Drew Brees - Purdue
Peyton Manning - Tennessee (even though they were a power house when he was there)
Eli Manning - Ole Miss

etc etc - some come from top programs but i've always found that as an interesting gauge of the type of qb you're looking at.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 4, 2024 at 5:40 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I wonder how many Brock purdys have slipped through the system and never gotten a chance.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I wonder how many Brock purdys have slipped through the system and never gotten a chance.

Meh, dude showed out in training camp and preseason. Guys like that don't get discarded.

Had a feeling he would team up with some kind of western wear company

There has only been a few of those late peak kind of guys...the Rich Gannon's of the world..... that you could see them learning along the way.

There is so much that goes into being a pro QB..... We have seen guys that don't work in one system change teams and then become functional.Guys like Vinny Testavertde or Jake Plummer....to a degree Steve Young, although he did not have a ton of starts like the others.

So thinking we will just coach him up is even more flawed, the simple truth is there is trash coaching staffs that simply can't do that...it is not even always a bad player...cough Alex Smith...(even I admit that...and I hated the Alex Pick and complained weekly)

I wish I could find the stat exactly, but the surest strategy for success is to start year 3, after sitting on the bench with the same team and same system. It was something like 60+% of multi year stable QB play.

Lucky for us Purdy is simply a good QB, do not need smoke and mirrors or training wheels...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

Meh, dude showed out in training camp and preseason. Guys like that don't get discarded.

I am sure it happened a good chunk though...they might not all be Warnners and Garcias...but I would think people have slipped though the cracks....the draft is a hell of a crap shoot...

in a sport that someone can miss so badly on a Trey Lance...I am certain the pendulum swings the other way and Warner was not the first or last potential HOF guy that is or was stocking grocery shelves.
Originally posted by Montana:

I saw him in an Applebee's commercial lol

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

I saw him in an Applebee's commercial lol
I'm so curious how much he's making in endorsements. I'm glad he's able to supplement his relatively low income - he's def earned it.

also, Montana and I just got matching Purdy Ariat boots. STYLIN!

it's cool how the brands he partners with seem to match his personality/character - everyday kinda person
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 4, 2024 at 7:06 PM ]
Alaska Air, Toyota, Buffalo Wild Wings, Boots in the post above, John Deer tractors. Estimates vary. But he is said to have a multi million dollar net worth. More is made on endorsements by far. His 49ers salary is roughly $1 M for now. But will rise dramatically. Unless you see the contract, bank accounts, investment accounts or the agent showed you a deal you have no idea. It's all just guesses. He's a multi millionaire many times over at this point. Mostly from endorsements. So far at least. That helps since he's low paid for the NFL for a QB. But that will change soon.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alaska Air, Toyota, Buffalo Wild Wings, Boots in the post above, John Deer tractors. Estimates vary. But he is said to have a multi million dollar net worth. More is made on endorsements by far. His 49ers salary is roughly $1 M for now. But will rise dramatically. Unless you see the contract, bank accounts, investment accounts or the agent showed you a deal you have no idea. It's all just guesses. He's a multi millionaire many times over at this point. Mostly from endorsements. So far at least. That helps since he's low paid for the NFL for a QB. But that will change soon.

Hopefully part of his compensation for his endorsements includes stock in the company. That'll build his wealth big time over the course of his career.

good for him, he deserves it.

he said this summer he essentially went:
- season ended
- went to Florida to train
- OTA/Minicap in Cali
- Florida for training
- training camp

and inbetween all of that he was flying around for commercial and endorsement commitments. lol busy man. I love the emphasis he put on getting better and didn't slack it.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Sep 4, 2024 at 8:01 PM ]

I was expecting Wrangler.
Dude is banking on endorsement deals and commercials right now.

John Deere, Toyota, Ariat, Applebees.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 5, 2024 at 5:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone