LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 87 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Damn, beat me to it. Hahaha
Originally posted by Giedi:
I was impressed with Eric Saubert playing fullback and blocking for Mason.

Mason has that great peripheral vision that a lot of RB's don't have in the outside zone. The RB takes three steps and cuts off that 3rd step. You need a certain kind of vision to cut to the correct angle. Mason sees the entire line and sees the creases he needs to hit. With the offensive line getting bigger because you need heft for an offensive lineman to stop bull rushes (to protect Brock), I can see where Mason is actually more valuable than a Brieda (for example) because of his power (vs speed). Bigger Offensive line, the better they are at man-gap-power blocking vs zone, and Mason is a power back. Mason is also three years younger than McCaffrey - so there's the youth aspect of it also.

I can see a Mason/McCaffrey RB lineup long term for this team a la Roger Craig/Tom Rathman during the dynasty days.

Excellent post!

And, IMO, they both can be on the field at the same time. Mason at RB and CMC as a receiver which he has done many times.

That'd give DC's nightmares.
now that's a beautiful thing
  • thl408
Originally posted by tankle104:

If a defense plays zone, they better be able to pressure Brock with four. Between Kyle's playcalling and Brock's ability to process, it's free yards. To see this type of nuance, from what is still a young player, I am positive he will be consistent for the rest of his career.
Originally posted by thl408:

If a defense plays zone, they better be able to pressure Brock with four. Between Kyle's playcalling and Brock's ability to process, it's free yards. To see this type of nuance, from what is still a young player, I am positive he will be consistent for the rest of his career.

To me, this is what casual fans don't see in his game. They think everything is just wide open cause of the scheme and it's not the case.

Of course Brock benefits from the scheme and talent around him but he also makes the scheme and people around him better. He executes the system at a high level AND he makes play at a high level.

i love his toughness and confidence. He made some really nice throws against a very stingy secondary. Cant wait to see what he does to the weak ass Vikings! Time to end that 30+ year streak of losing in Minnesota!

Damn straight Alex, tell 'em what the f**k is up
To me, this is what casual fans don't see in his game. They think everything is just wide open cause of the scheme and it's not the case.

Of course Brock benefits from the scheme and talent around him but he also makes the scheme and people around him better. He executes the system at a high level AND he makes play at a high level.

i love his toughness and confidence. He made some really nice throws against a very stingy secondary. Cant wait to see what he does to the weak ass Vikings! Time to end that 30+ year streak of losing in Minnesota!

Even without understanding the nuance of the position, people should have been able to glean the difference he makes when he took over and our offense immediately started averaging ~ a td more per game and looked like an absolute machine.

I'm still so annoyed he got hurt in that title game, lol. That team in '22 was just a beast.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

I really hate that simpleton argument lol.

Damn, beat me to it. Hahaha

I still dont like Purdy doing head dives for the first down but I get it. That's who he is.
One of my favorite plays was when he scrambled to his right on 3rd down and rather than trying to force the pass into coverage in the end zone he threw the ball away. That shows maturity beyonf=d his years. So many young QBs would try and force that pass.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I still dont like Purdy doing head dives for the first down but I get it. That's who he is.

I'll take them as he's usually aware the hit is coming and times it well to not take a big hit. I hate the short quarterback sneaks. QB's tend to take unnecessary punishment and I think the offense is good enough to not need to take the risk. Would rather see them just run a play like it was 3 yards to go.
Purdy is looking unstoppable so far
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Purdy is looking unstoppable so far

He's going to become labeled a "field general" this year. Watch.

especially once others start seeing how much QBs struggle against the jets - his performance will look even better. Sucks he didn't get that touchdown but many to come!
Share 49ersWebzone