Watch: Deommodore Lenoir joins the No Huddle Podcast →

There are 169 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Not just today. I can't remember his last "wow" game from beginning to end.

Right now, he isn't worth 60 million per year.
playoffs against packers (last drive) and lions (second half). That is wow.
Originally posted by communist:

the OP must have dementia if he cant remember that far
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

or not a 9ers fan at all.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Dude misses 8 passes and throws for 319 yards and its all his fault. SMH. I'm just glad this team does not have to play in the same division has the vikings they are Kyle and the 49ers kryptonite.
So easily triggered and fragile fans lol

He didn't play well the whole game I mean.

The thing is he def did not play well in the Packers game. In the Lions game he made some great clutch plays, a lot with his legs

People are overreacting talking about his contract based on today's game. He's going to have bad games here and there, and we were sloppy around him as well.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
The thing is he def did not play well in the Packers game. In the Lions game he made some great clutch plays, a lot with his legs

People are overreacting talking about his contract based on today's game. He's going to have bad games here and there, and we were sloppy around him as well.

How he rebounds against the Rams is what matters.
Originally posted by bud49:
Dude misses 8 passes and throws for 319 yards and its all his fault. SMH. I'm just glad this team does not have to play in the same division has the vikings they are Kyle and the 49ers kryptonite.

Dumb is gunna dumb, what can ya do. Pay no attention to the 300+ yards..
If he wants a big contract he better play a lot better than this

• Furlow
  • Veteran

No he said beginning to end. So every play has to be WOW or he's not worth it. You know all those other QB's who are doing it like that.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

I said in the game day thread he wasn't his usual self and that's of note, but on many many plays his initial and second reds weren't open. There's only so much time the o line can provide.

I felt (and I could be wrong so correct me if I am) that he lived over the middle which isn't necessarily bad, but usually he goes all over and outside. I didn't notice the outside almost at all today. Aiyuk was a mostly no show again.

Whatever Flores does seems to fluster this offense and Purdy.

I felt like Purdy was thinking too much today instead of seeing and reacting if that makes sense. That's my main concern. Don't bog this kid down with b******t, let him rip.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

No he said beginning to end. So every play has to be WOW or he's not worth it. You know all those other QB's who are doing it like that.

Every other QB in the NFL never has a bad game. And really Brock did not have a bad game he was 78 percent completion and 319 yards. I can find a lot of other areas to b itch about. But I'm not cause I know this team can rebound they have done it year in and year out.
Originally posted by random49er:
Still a good player and we'll see for next week. This is why I don't like the extreme exaggeration all offseason in here by tankle and the troops.

He's not top 3 in the league just yet, and he's not an average or below average asset either. The truth as of right now is somewhere in-between. We'll find out.

The truth is he's a Montana like QB stylistically. When the system is humming he gets the ball to his guys and it's beautiful. Purdy's willingness to make the anticipation throws are awesome. However, if he needs to play backyard football he's not gonna pull miracles out of his ass enough to be "elite." Elite in the modern NFL basically mean "the best at backyard football." Mahomes is the ideal for the 2020s NFL because he's excellent at traditional pocket QB play and backyard football play.

Think about Montana for a minute. Would he be elite in today's NFL? All his most memorable moments are from running Walsh's system to perfection. Yes, he would use his legs at times in his younger years, but think of the offensive machine that tore up the Broncos D in the Super Bowl. It was all perfect scheme execution that did it, not backyard wow plays. Montana won with his brain and his precision. In today's NFL that's not enough.

Purdy is an 80s-90s style QB playing in the 2020s. He's been damn good at being a 90s style QB. He may win a SB because he's paired up with the ideal coach for his skillset. He does have some moxie and scrambling ability, but he won't win if required to do that at a high rate like Mahomes or Allen. On days when it's not quite clicking on offense and the defense gives up a big play or two on the other side... yeah, Purdy is unlikely to bail them out of that more than half the time.

He'll never be Top 3 in the league because the league doesn't want his style of QB to be Top 3. He's too old school, too standard. He's not flashy enough - nor should he be, because it's not his strength as a QB. That doesn't mean he can't improve and win leaning into his strengths. It simply means he won't be lauded as much for doing it.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Not Purdy's best game but, if this team has a chance to win anything, it will be because of Brock and in spite of Shanahan.
Share 49ersWebzone