LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 242 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How anyone can be upset at Purdy and not think about the 100 yard Touchdown the defense gave up trips me out!!!
Because it doesn't fit their narrative.

Some can do two things at once. Crazy huh?
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Sep 15, 2024 at 3:44 PM ]
He was forced to make alot of tight throws because of the Wrs lack of ability to get open but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

He certainly wasn't forced to do anything on either his first interception or the Alex Smith special fumble lost.

When people are covered, which we'll see on all-22, that doesn't mean you don't protect the football.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I didn't watch all the game but looking at his stat line seems like not a bad game in a losing effort.

My thought too.

Block punt turns into 3.
98 yard TD.

These were big plays in the game. Not to mention Sam Darnold with no weapons in the 3rd and 4th qtr. Our safeties were garbage.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He was forced to make alot of tight throws because of the Wrs lack of ability to get open but don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

He certainly wasn't forced to do anything on either his first interception or the Alex Smith special fumble lost.

When people are covered, which we'll see on all-22, that doesn't mean you don't protect the football.
I don't believe I ever said he played the perfect game & the fumble is irrelevant to having to make a lot of tight throws.
[ Edited by DaleGribble on Sep 15, 2024 at 3:42 PM ]
I don't believe I ever said he played the perfect game.

I directly addressed what you said.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I don't believe I ever said he played the perfect game.

I directly addressed what you said.
Actually you didn't because I never said he was without fault.
Actually you didn't because I never said he was without fault.

The other poster said Purdy could have had 4 turnovers and you replied that he was forced to make a lot of tight window throws due to coverage.

I responded directly to your point. He didn't have to make a bad read and throw a ball essentially right to a linebacker or outright drop a ball in his throwing motion for turnover 2. He wasn't forced into a near pick on the sideline throw either.
I cant believe Purdy is being shamed on this forum for having to make tight windowed throws and actually completing them lol. He made a couple bad throws but he played pretty well for the most part. Unreal. How about we blame the s**t safeties for giving up that 98 yard TD and our s**t special teams for giving them a short field on the blocked punt.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by bud49:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Not Purdy's best game but, if this team has a chance to win anything, it will be because of Brock and in spite of Shanahan.

It's just like Kyle goes all dumb against Flores defenses. It just blows my mind.

Purdy was a bit timid and overthinking at times. By now I want him to know a defense pre snap and I didn't sense that today.

I think Purdy explains it well how Flores & the Vikes Defense is:

On Thursday, Purdy was asked what makes the Vikings defense uniquely difficult to face. Here's what Purdy said courtesy of the 49ers p.r. department.

Q: Obviously, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores does a lot of blitzing and different looks they like to throw at you. What do you remember about last year and how can that kind of help you this week?

PURDY: "I don't know, he does a lot of different looks and different things and makes you think that it's going to be one thing and it can be that or go to something completely different. And so, he does a good job with that. I think one of the best in the league with just disguises in general. And so, last year we had obviously a whole game against him and got some really good looks from him and some tough situations that he puts you in, especially as a quarterback trying to make a decision and stuff. It was a good experience last year and there's some things that I had to learn from. I had a year of film and stuff and this week of practice so we're excited for it."

ME: Lots of teams run a version of your defensive scheme. Is what they're running in Minnesota really unique? Is it tough to prepare for because you don't really see it very much?

PURDY: "I would say so. Yeah, like you get into some teams throughout the league where you know what they're running, they're in quarters, three-deep, man, like you know what they're running. With Minnesota, it's sort of an illusion fest. They want to make it seem like they're doing this and then post snap they're dropping eight into every which way. So, they do a lot. It's hard for us to just grasp exactly what they're doing. So, I think a lot of it is dropping back and post-snap seeing the shell, the safeties, who's coming, who's not and where I need to go with the ball from there. But it's definitely one of those outliers of a scheme that you have to get ready for."

Q: Is part of what makes it effective in Minnesota the fact that it's so loud and it's hard to communicate?

PURDY: "Yeah, for sure. I think that's definitely a component of the game. Being in the huddle, screaming the play, breaking, and then you're not being able to hear guys and yell and make audibles. It's all signals and like I said, we're on silent cadence, which is a whole other dynamic from playing at home. And so, it's totally different. But there's some good things that can come from it just in terms of the preparation and being ready for those moments and executing. Sometimes the best executed games are on the road with crazy environments because you have to be more in tune to the little things. So there's pros and cons to it. But Minnesota's one of those places where you have to be on top of your stuff or else you can get exposed."

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-qb-brock-purdy-sizes-up-the-minnesota-vikings-defense-01j7p28bbxxw
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by bud49:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Not Purdy's best game but, if this team has a chance to win anything, it will be because of Brock and in spite of Shanahan.

It's just like Kyle goes all dumb against Flores defenses. It just blows my mind.

Purdy was a bit timid and overthinking at times. By now I want him to know a defense pre snap and I didn't sense that today.

I think Purdy explains it well how Flores & the Vikes Defense is:

On Thursday, Purdy was asked what makes the Vikings defense uniquely difficult to face. Here's what Purdy said courtesy of the 49ers p.r. department.

Q: Obviously, Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores does a lot of blitzing and different looks they like to throw at you. What do you remember about last year and how can that kind of help you this week?

PURDY: "I don't know, he does a lot of different looks and different things and makes you think that it's going to be one thing and it can be that or go to something completely different. And so, he does a good job with that. I think one of the best in the league with just disguises in general. And so, last year we had obviously a whole game against him and got some really good looks from him and some tough situations that he puts you in, especially as a quarterback trying to make a decision and stuff. It was a good experience last year and there's some things that I had to learn from. I had a year of film and stuff and this week of practice so we're excited for it."

ME: Lots of teams run a version of your defensive scheme. Is what they're running in Minnesota really unique? Is it tough to prepare for because you don't really see it very much?

PURDY: "I would say so. Yeah, like you get into some teams throughout the league where you know what they're running, they're in quarters, three-deep, man, like you know what they're running. With Minnesota, it's sort of an illusion fest. They want to make it seem like they're doing this and then post snap they're dropping eight into every which way. So, they do a lot. It's hard for us to just grasp exactly what they're doing. So, I think a lot of it is dropping back and post-snap seeing the shell, the safeties, who's coming, who's not and where I need to go with the ball from there. But it's definitely one of those outliers of a scheme that you have to get ready for."

Q: Is part of what makes it effective in Minnesota the fact that it's so loud and it's hard to communicate?

PURDY: "Yeah, for sure. I think that's definitely a component of the game. Being in the huddle, screaming the play, breaking, and then you're not being able to hear guys and yell and make audibles. It's all signals and like I said, we're on silent cadence, which is a whole other dynamic from playing at home. And so, it's totally different. But there's some good things that can come from it just in terms of the preparation and being ready for those moments and executing. Sometimes the best executed games are on the road with crazy environments because you have to be more in tune to the little things. So there's pros and cons to it. But Minnesota's one of those places where you have to be on top of your stuff or else you can get exposed."

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-qb-brock-purdy-sizes-up-the-minnesota-vikings-defense-01j7p28bbxxw

Good read thanks for sharing

Feels like he was locking on to guys and throwing it there when other guys on the play seemed a bit more open
So what's the general consensus today? Does Purdy suck and were back in the doldrums?
Originally posted by Silky:
So what's the general consensus today? Does Purdy suck and were back in the doldrums?

Nah. He didn't play great, but the whole team was off from top to bottom. He made enough plays that we still could have pulled it off with a couple more defensive stops. On to the Rams.
Fans need to remember that the 49ers haven't won in Minnesota since 1992. Eight straight losses. Sometimes places are just a hard place to win. It's alwys loud and hard to hear signals.

Without CMC Brock didn't have that safety valve to throw to on 3rd down. The Vikes did a good job slowing down the receivers and keeping them from getting into their routes. Then the pass rush was able to get home.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Fans need to remember that the 49ers haven't won in Minnesota since 1992. Eight straight losses. Sometimes places are just a hard place to win. It's alwys loud and hard to hear signals.

Without CMC Brock didn't have that safety valve to throw to on 3rd down. The Vikes did a good job slowing down the receivers and keeping them from getting into their routes. Then the pass rush was able to get home.
We have no issues beating the vikes at home, something is strange in the waters of Minnetonka
Share 49ersWebzone