LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 229 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Absolutely he was a major reason lol. He had 2 awful turnovers, 100% on him in both instances. He could've easily thrown 3 additional picks due to bad decisions. He stood like a statue in the pocket and was indecisive, causing more pressures than there needed to be

Very unlike Brock but don't sugar coat a bad game

you get SF behind the sticks and we are suddenly very beatable.

like every team in the league
lol faith says some cliche stuff
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Absolutely he was a major reason lol. He had 2 awful turnovers, 100% on him in both instances. He could've easily thrown 3 additional picks due to bad decisions. He stood like a statue in the pocket and was indecisive, causing more pressures than there needed to be

lol faith says some cliche stuff

Yeah, imagine that. Keep em in 3rd and long and the probability to get the 1st goes down. Fascinating. . .

every non KC team maybe, Mahomes just won it 4th and 16.

he's pretty unreal.

he's pretty unreal.
Stop trolling

he's pretty unreal.
Stop trolling

we are built to run. we ranked dead last in pass attempts last season. so on the obvious pass downs, we struggle, and more than a typical team. that is my observation, and feel free to mock i will make it anyway. i've said for years, we should be more multiple, meaning actual slot WRs, pass pro up front, and you probably do a lil better on the clear and obvious pass downs. we lean into the run maybe more than any team in pro football. good when it works, but hard to go thru an entire season, or postseason, and just run over everyone. we have yet to do that. KC handled our run pretty well in both SBs. we may need a lil more balance to be a champ team. i think kyle kind of hinted at this drafting a couple WRs who can fill that slot role.

he's pretty unreal.
Stop trolling

we are built to run. we ranked dead last in pass attempts last season. so on the obvious pass downs, we struggle, and more than a typical team. that is my observation, and feel free to mock i will make it anyway. i've said for years, we should be more multiple, meaning actual slot WRs, pass pro up front, and you probably do a lil better on the clear and obvious pass downs. we lean into the run maybe more than any team in pro football. good when it works, but hard to go thru an entire season, or postseason, and just run over everyone. we have yet to do that. KC handled our run pretty well in both SBs. we may need a lil more balance to be a champ team. i think kyle kind of hinted at this drafting a couple WRs who can fill that slot role.
All that has nothing to do with what you said
Originally posted by dj43:
Most of those 3rd downs were long yardage situations. They were not the usual 3rd and short we've had in the past. I'm not giving him a pass but suggesting that he was a major reason is not accurate.

The biggest problem for the offense was the fact Brian Flores was taking away all of Brock's favorite routes over the middle. LBs were getting deep drops and safeties were pinching in as well. With Aiyuk not in game shape yet, there was no one open on the money routes. The outside should have been more available but not much was called there.

The big reason for 3rd down failure was the loss of CMC. 'Nuff said.

Why do you ignore the role the Minne defense played?

In listening to several talk shows this morning, the talk was largely about how Flores did the same thing he did last year against Shanahan's passing game. Mike McDonald had the same plan in the Baltimore game. Take away the middle zones and SF has no man-beaters that can win consistently on the outside.

Aiyuk isn't close to being back in form. Ricky Pearsall was drafted to be that other guy that can win in man but he isn't healthy yet.

A speedy deep threat is no help when the OL allows 13 pressures and sacks the QB 6 times.

As I said above, I'm not giving Purdy a pass. I am only pointing out the multiple reasons the Shanahan offense is unsuccessful against this kind of pressure defense. It wasn't his best but let's recognize the reasons for it.

he's pretty unreal.
Stop trolling

course it does, we are talking about those obvious pass downs. we notoriously struggle on those. Ryan was talking about it this morning on KNBR.

he's pretty unreal.
Stop trolling

course it does, we are talking about those obvious pass downs. we notoriously struggle on those. Ryan was talking about it this morning on KNBR.
Mahome did not win anything on 4th and 16

he's pretty unreal.

They are still in worse shape with 3rd and longs. He is great and the league loves them.

Originally posted by lamontb:
This he played poorly yesterday.

Poorly lol you must have been watching the Cowboys game
Originally posted by dj43:
Why do you ignore the role the Minne defense played?

In listening to several talk shows this morning, the talk was largely about how Flores did the same thing he did last year against Shanahan's passing game. Mike McDonald had the same plan in the Baltimore game. Take away the middle zones and SF has no man-beaters that can win consistently on the outside.

Aiyuk isn't close to being back in form. Ricky Pearsall was drafted to be that other guy that can win in man but he isn't healthy yet.

A speedy deep threat is no help when the OL allows 13 pressures and sacks the QB 6 times.

As I said above, I'm not giving Purdy a pass. I am only pointing out the multiple reasons the Shanahan offense is unsuccessful against this kind of pressure defense. It wasn't his best but let's recognize the reasons for it.

Every team in the NFL, even the worst team, has world class athletes that are the best of the best. If Brock is an elite QB who can dissect the weak spots in a defense quickly I don't want to hear excuses.

He left several big plays on the field and committed two unforced turnovers meaning the defense didn't have to do anything impressive to get those turnovers. If he threw a pick and it was some incredible read by the CB then you say good play. These were bad decisions/bad plays. If I had to grade him based on everything, including defense he faced, I'd give him a D+. Just a bad game, no other way to put it

Now, with all that said, the rest of the team was also bad. Was this due to a short week? Not prepared? Important players getting the rust off? All of the above?

I don't know. Brock is for sure allowed to have a bad game. We shouldn't expect him to play at a high level every game. It was just shocking to see how he performed and the way it happened (rather than just saying oh we lost bad game)
Every team in the NFL, even the worst team, has world class athletes that are the best of the best. If Brock is an elite QB who can dissect the weak spots in a defense quickly I don't want to hear excuses.

He left several big plays on the field and committed two unforced turnovers meaning the defense didn't have to do anything impressive to get those turnovers. If he threw a pick and it was some incredible read by the CB then you say good play. These were bad decisions/bad plays. If I had to grade him based on everything, including defense he faced, I'd give him a D+. Just a bad game, no other way to put it

Now, with all that said, the rest of the team was also bad. Was this due to a short week? Not prepared? Important players getting the rust off? All of the above?

I don't know. Brock is for sure allowed to have a bad game. We shouldn't expect him to play at a high level every game. It was just shocking to see how he performed and the way it happened (rather than just saying oh we lost bad game)

it was like last year. maybe that is the shock or surprise, that we didn't learn from last year vs MIN. to me that's the alarm. we see certain DCs that have a level of ownage. Schwartz, Spags and perhaps now Flores.
The fumble was a fluke ball slipping his grip. Not much to say about that except it's unlikely to occur often. It happened once last season, so odds are we won't see it again for a while.

The one INT was a bad result of a risky throw. When you thread as many needles as Brock does in the passing game you will be on the losing end sometimes.

Considering the complex disguises Flores was showing Brock played pretty well, IMO. The "book" on Brock is out, and it is this: Defenses must do extremely complex hidden coverage designs to slow him down a tick. If successful you may be able to get a few sacks and a couple turnovers to counter the 300+ yards he'll still throw on you.

Maybe 2-3 defenses out there have the talent to do that and shut down SF's rushing game. MIN is clearly one of them. The Rams have not been. Look for a solid bounce back week for the SF offense.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 16, 2024 at 2:58 PM ]
Purdy didn't play as bad as I initially thought, some turnovers but also some great throws
Share 49ersWebzone