LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 119 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
I guess we're gonna find out pretty quick whether Purdy can elevate other players to major contributors. We're gonna find out real quick whether he warrants a $60 million a year contract. What an opportunity for him. I hope he succeeds.

With 2 starting DBs out and no more Aaron Donald , Purdy should have time and his receivers should be able to get open this week.
Statistically he wasn't that bad. But there were a few bad plays. Lots of other reasons we lost. Special teams disasters, 97 yards Justin Jefferson, DB's missing coverage and tackles. It's more complex than Purdy. To those saying we will find out if he's worth it you don't base that off of 1 or a few games. It's whole body of work. Everyone does better with better parts around them too.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I guess we're gonna find out pretty quick whether Purdy can elevate other players to major contributors. We're gonna find out real quick whether he warrants a $60 million a year contract. What an opportunity for him. I hope he succeeds.

If he didn't already warrant $60 mil or whatever the market is, then I don't know what else he could do. You can't say win the Super Bowl, because there's a lot of QB's getting $100's of millions of dollars and some on them haven't even won a playoff game let alone a championship game. Brock Purdy is a far better QB than Tua, Hurts, Cousins, Goff and Prescott. I'd definitely pay Brock more than those four mentioned.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

If he didn't already warrant $60 mil or whatever the market is, then I don't know what else he could do. You can't say win the Super Bowl, because there's a lot of QB's getting $100's of millions of dollars and some on them haven't even won a playoff game let alone a championship game. Brock Purdy is a far better QB than Tua, Hurts, Cousins, Goff and Prescott. I'd definitely pay Brock more than those four mentioned.

He is better than those objectively. Just no way to argue he isn't.
IMO, what i saw sunday wasn't a $60 million a year QB. Id rather keep shannahan and let him coach up a Baker Mayfield type at $30 million a year. If Purdy can't put the game on his back and get us a win when we don't have all our weapons then I wouldn't pay him and Id bet my house that the FO feels the same after getting burned this offseason.

Paying BA, CMC, TW, and redoing Deebo's contracts WILL have an effect on Purdy next year. Whether fans like it or not.
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Sep 17, 2024 at 10:03 AM ]
IMO, what i saw sunday wasn't a $60 million a year QB. Id rather keep shannahan and let him coach up a Baker Mayfield type at $30 million a year. If Purdy can't put the game on his back and get us a win when we don't have all our weapons then I wouldn't pay him and Id bet my house that the FO feels the same after getting burned this offseason.

Paying BA, CMC, TW, and redoing Deebo's contracts WILL have an effect on Purdy next year. Whether fans like it or not.

Fair opinion, lets see how this season plays out. Personally I always felt like he has it, so it was weird to see him miss or not see, but Flores did throw some wild stuff at him as someone pointed out to me and I forget its only his 25th game? So yeah he still has some stuff to experience. I expect and hope he becomes the better for it.

That being said, if he has a bad year I think the scrutiny on Kyle ....ooooof man his thread is going to be insanity.

I don't know any quarterback, Montana, Young, Brady, you name one, who never had an off game. As a matter of interest only Fred had a good game. But yeah, after one bad game let's talk about getting rid of him.

I agree, but it's also one game. You can pick any QB in a vacuum of 1 game (even brady, Montana, mahomes, etc) and say they aren't worth it.

Let's see how he bounces back
Originally posted by English:

I don't know any quarterback, Montana, Young, Brady, you name one, who never had an off game. As a matter of interest only Fred had a good game. But yeah, after one bad game let's talk about getting rid of him.

Yeah that's dumb. 1 bad game is insane. The body of work says mostly very good. Chemistry will get better with Aiyuk. Deebo and CMC will come back from injury. So things should get better. We need to get through a few tough games here and hang on. Then in about 1 - 2 months things should be better.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Fair opinion, lets see how this season plays out. Personally I always felt like he has it, so it was weird to see him miss or not see, but Flores did throw some wild stuff at him as someone pointed out to me and I forget its only his 25th game? So yeah he still has some stuff to experience. I expect and hope he becomes the better for it.

That being said, if he has a bad year I think the scrutiny on Kyle ....ooooof man his thread is going to be insanity.
How is that a fair opinion?

brock is at 25 starts in the NFL and only has two losses against NFC teams. These games are not the norm but an anomaly

plus Baker has two great WRs also, he wasn't a great QB before going to Tampa

For funsies I looked up Montana's 25th regular season start.

It was a Week 1 loss in 1982 to the Raiders, 23-17. Montana was 21/41, 244 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 5 sacks. Niners were up 17-14 at home at the start of the 4th quarter. Each team had four turnovers - SF lost 3 fumbles in addition to Montana's INT. Seems weirdly similar, with Montana having some mixed play while other factors, such as Marcus Allen rushing for over 100 yards, being the more decisive ones. The scores being identical is kinda wild.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 17, 2024 at 11:30 AM ]
For me he was lacking that anticipation. That's his "super power"

he's arm is avg at best, his size is poor and while he's twitchy, I wouldn't call him an elite level athlete. He's accurate, but not Drew Brees accurate.

what makes him good is anticipation and quick processing. There were plays to be had and if Brock would have anticipated some of those throws, they win.

SF has gotta win some of these early sloppy games. These next two are gonna be the same and they HAVE to win them.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

he's arm is avg at best, his size is poor and while he's twitchy, I wouldn't call him an elite level athlete. He's accurate, but not Drew Brees accurate.

what makes him good is anticipation and quick processing. There were plays to be had and if Brock would have anticipated some of those throws, they win.

SF has gotta win some of these early sloppy games. These next two are gonna be the same and they HAVE to win them.

He's not going to have perfect anticipation in every game. That's unrealistic. He's not far off from Drew Brees accuracy. Finally the size isn't really that bad. Kyler Murray is 5'10". Russell Wilson is 5'10". He's 6'1" 220 lbs. Steve Young was about 210 lbs and the same size. Granted he was faster. But Purdy is twitchy in a short area. He's far from too small to play the game or be a good starter.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 17, 2024 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Not drew brees accurate, how can you compare late career Brees to early career Purdy?

if you look at both careers on their first 25 starts, Purdy is better. If Purdy can continue this run, he will blow Brees out the water
The whole team was just not ready except Warner/ Bosa. Short week, 8am start body clock wise, and as bad as it seems they were a few bad plays from maybe winning it. It's not like they got blown out 44-10. Calm down people it's just the 2nd game!!!! Since the late 70's I have seen far worse and with no hope of it getting better Be " Faithful "
Share 49ersWebzone