LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 88 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
IMO, what i saw sunday wasn't a $60 million a year QB. Id rather keep shannahan and let him coach up a Baker Mayfield type at $30 million a year. If Purdy can't put the game on his back and get us a win when we don't have all our weapons then I wouldn't pay him and Id bet my house that the FO feels the same after getting burned this offseason.

Paying BA, CMC, TW, and redoing Deebo's contracts WILL have an effect on Purdy next year. Whether fans like it or not.

Maybe if Purdy learned to block the pass rush as well as throw the ball accurately under consistent heavy pressure he would be worth $30M/year.

Did you watch the game? Did you see the constant pressure and disguised overload blitzes that Minne was using? They DOMINATED. Even Trent had a bad game - gave up four pressures.

Purdy will be fine. He is still rated # 7 by PFF and #9 in QB rating by NFL (leads in yardage).
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
For me he was lacking that anticipation. That's his "super power"

he's arm is avg at best, his size is poor and while he's twitchy, I wouldn't call him an elite level athlete. He's accurate, but not Drew Brees accurate.

what makes him good is anticipation and quick processing. There were plays to be had and if Brock would have anticipated some of those throws, they win.

SF has gotta win some of these early sloppy games. These next two are gonna be the same and they HAVE to win them.

He's not going to have perfect anticipation in every game. That's unrealistic. He's not far off from Drew Brees accuracy. Finally the size isn't really that bad. Kyler Murray is 5'10". Russell Wilson is 5'10". He's 6'1" 220 lbs. Steve Young was about 210 lbs and the same size. Granted he was faster. But Purdy is twitchy in a short area. He's far from too small to play the game or be a good starter.

This, Purdy is doing excellent to start his career. Let's not forget he has not had his great weapons consistently in the lineup AND has some of the worst pass protection in the league so far. Brees had a much better OL and also had great weapons. His anticipation is ridiculously good, even his "lacking of anticipation" is still better than almost EVERY QB in the league. Purdy's bad day is still pretty good compared to other qb's good days.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Not drew brees accurate, how can you compare late career Brees to early career Purdy?

if you look at both careers on their first 25 starts, Purdy is better. If Purdy can continue this run, he will blow Brees out the water
I know right! I mean come on mannnnnn. The OL had a horrible day in pass pro and Purdy didn't have his quick check down option in McCaffery and Aiyuk is not separating like last year. We shouldn't forget, Purdy had some very good throws in between 4 or 5 defenders while running for his life through much of the game.
Originally posted by dj43:
Maybe if Purdy learned to block the pass rush as well as throw the ball accurately under consistent heavy pressure he would be worth $30M/year.

Did you watch the game? Did you see the constant pressure and disguised overload blitzes that Minne was using? They DOMINATED. Even Trent had a bad game - gave up four pressures.

Purdy will be fine. He is still rated # 7 by PFF and #9 in QB rating by NFL (leads in yardage).

Lot of those pressures came from holding the ball based on confusion on what D was doing. Flores did a great job.
Originally posted by elguapo:

he's arm is avg at best, his size is poor and while he's twitchy, I wouldn't call him an elite level athlete. He's accurate, but not Drew Brees accurate.

what makes him good is anticipation and quick processing. There were plays to be had and if Brock would have anticipated some of those throws, they win.

SF has gotta win some of these early sloppy games. These next two are gonna be the same and they HAVE to win them.

He's not going to have perfect anticipation in every game. That's unrealistic. He's not far off from Drew Brees accuracy. Finally the size isn't really that bad. Kyler Murray is 5'10". Russell Wilson is 5'10". He's 6'1" 220 lbs. Steve Young was about 210 lbs and the same size. Granted he was faster. But Purdy is twitchy in a short area. He's far from too small to play the game or be a good starter.

This, Purdy is doing excellent to start his career. Let's not forget he has not had his great weapons consistently in the lineup AND has some of the worst pass protection in the league so far. Brees had a much better OL and also had great weapons. His anticipation is ridiculously good, even his "lacking of anticipation" is still better than almost EVERY QB in the league. Purdy's bad day is still pretty good compared to other qb's good days.
Not drew brees accurate, how can you compare late career Brees to early career Purdy?

if you look at both careers on their first 25 starts, Purdy is better. If Purdy can continue this run, he will blow Brees out the water
I know right! I mean come on mannnnnn. The OL had a horrible day in pass pro and Purdy didn't have his quick check down option in McCaffery and Aiyuk is not separating like last year. We shouldn't forget, Purdy had some very good throws in between 4 or 5 defenders while running for his life through much of the game.

Yeah I agree.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by dj43:

Lot of those pressures came from holding the ball based on confusion on what D was doing. Flores did a great job.

Some of it was confusion, others were the result of excellent coverage by the Vikings who were sitting in the primary zones that KS schemes to be open. Purdy often waited for someone to clear but the pass rush did not allow time.

Yesterday, Greg Papa noted that from the press box, it was obvious that Minnesota was packing the middle of the field and daring the 49ers to try to go to the sidelines but very few routes were called. He said it was frustrating because it was so easy to see from up high. There was just very little open.
Lol so I guess ppl are expecting Purdy to be perfect lolol ridiculous. Lol I remember Brady having not perfect days..sometimes playing against us . And it would be Temper Tantrum Tom lol. Brock's mistakes are rare and he also doesn't act like a kid when things don't go the way he hoped lol
Originally posted by Montana:
Lol so I guess ppl are expecting Purdy to be perfect lolol ridiculous. Lol I remember Brady having not perfect days..sometimes playing against us . And it would be Temper Tantrum Tom lol. Brock's mistakes are rare and he also doesn't act like a kid when things don't go the way he hoped lol

Montana lost games. Lots of them. QB's don't win every game for all their career.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 17, 2024 at 1:58 PM ]

His athleticism and size is not a plus overall. He's not elite as far as accuracy goes. He's not bad at all. He's not Drew level though.

again what has made him special is his ability to process and make those crazy anticipatory throws.

Flores called a good game. Brock is still young and will be fine.
Originally posted by elguapo:

Nowhere did I say Brock was toast or he blows. Watch the game. What he's been special at was all those quick processing and those anticipatory throws.

he was late on stuff and just not himself. He's usually damn good vs the blitz. He's young and still learning. I'm not worried, just something I saw last game

His athleticism and size is not a plus overall. He's not elite as far as accuracy goes. He's not bad at all. He's not Drew level though.

again what has made him special is his ability to process and make those crazy anticipatory throws.

Flores called a good game. Brock is still young and will be fine.

He's highly accurate and one of the best in the current NFL. He hits guys right between the numbers in full stride. Pretty close to Brees. I don't think he's far off from that. Size is fine. He's bigger than Steve Young was. Heavier than Montana was. Much larger than Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson. His arm strength is enough. He's not 6'5" with a rocket arm. But not everyone is. He's fine physically. His quickness and athleticism in a short area is a little underrated and he can create off schedule.

The ball slipping out of his hand.. That was bad luck and really sucked, but the pick was a really poor decision. He made a ton of tight window throws Sunday but that one was a late throw in double coverage.

He's not gonna be perfect though. Just needs to continue getting better. He honestly diced up Flores last year and moved the ball decent on Sunday, it was just always something going wrong messing up those drives.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Yea, I honestly thought the protection was pretty good. Both games so far.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
The ball slipping out of his hand.. That was bad luck and really sucked, but the pick was a really poor decision. He made a ton of tight window throws Sunday but that one was a late throw in double coverage.

He's not gonna be perfect though. Just needs to continue getting better. He honestly diced up Flores last year and moved the ball decent on Sunday, it was just always something going wrong messing up those drives.

there was something going on with the ball/his hand. he kept wiping his hand with the towel which I thought was extremely weird in a dome environment.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
there was something going on with the ball/his hand. he kept wiping his hand with the towel which I thought was extremely weird in a dome environment.

I don't remember who it was, maybe Greg Papa, but someone said it was really warm/muggy in the building.
Share 49ersWebzone