LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 134 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's highly accurate and one of the best in the current NFL. He hits guys right between the numbers in full stride. Pretty close to Brees. I don't think he's far off from that. Size is fine. He's bigger than Steve Young was. Heavier than Montana was. Much larger than Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson. His arm strength is enough. He's not 6'5" with a rocket arm. But not everyone is. He's fine physically. His quickness and athleticism in a short area is a little underrated and he can create off schedule.

His weight/height percentile is not good. Same with his hand size. Wilson and Brees have monster hands.

While he's accurate, he is not Brees. Stop with that. Dude is one of the most accurate QBs in the history of the NFL. Maybe he gets there one day. Brees' pocket awareness and footwork is elite level. That's what happens when you play as long has he did. Brock is still learning.

Again for the 3rd time what he excels at his processing/anticipation. Didn't think he was there last game. Again not worried about it.
Brock Brees
Originally posted by Montana:
Brock Brees

lol maybe one day.
Montana lost games. Lots of them. QB's don't win every game for all their career.

Gunna hear b******t criticism of Purdy everytime we lose a game. Lol. If we won..these ppl wouldn't be so..lame? Haha. These ppl can act like they know something..BrockStar just gunna keep proving them wrong
Originally posted by NYniner85:
His athleticism and size is not a plus overall. He's not elite as far as accuracy goes. He's not bad at all. He's not Drew level though.

again what has made him special is his ability to process and make those crazy anticipatory throws.

Flores called a good game. Brock is still young and will be fine.

...and that is hard to train. Brock seems to have a special ability in that area.

He will learn to deal with all that chaos...and he will need it because he will see it two more times this year...the Seahawks.
Originally posted by dj43:
...and that is hard to train. Brock seems to have a special ability in that area.

He will learn to deal with all that chaos...and he will need it because he will see it two more times this year...the Seahawks.

More reps can help you become more confident in what you see…so you can get better there. He was good right from the jump with that stuff which is awesome.

I agree he will learn, not s**tting on the kid but last game you could see him being late on pulling the trigger on throws he usually isn't late at making. Not seeing everything as quickly as he usually does…gotta give Flores credit. He called a hell of a game.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
All true, although I'd add the real
problem last week for Brock is that the offensive line seemed genuinely confused by the pass rush scheme, leaving him without much time back there.

Similarly, Darnold looked quite comfortable on Sunday and that was in large part due to the protection he had.

I think that's fair. I'm watching some of Brad's cutups from SFniners and while the OL are for sure missing assignments….some of those sacks are on Brock. He's looking more like JG than Brock out there

He's not seeing the field as well or something? Teams got more film on him and noticed something?

only 2 weeks, but he's gotta play better than what he's been doing…there's been a bunch of poor reads and forcing balls into tight window that could have been picked off (if they weren't).

I still got faith in him and I'm sure he will be just fine.

as far as Sam goes, he just ran the offense and threw to his first read if there. Outside of two blown coverages he didn't really do too much.
So you don't put any weight on this being the Vikes again & him struggling with what Flores was throwing @ Purdy just like last year?
Montana lost games. Lots of them. QB's don't win every game for all their career.

Gunna hear b******t criticism of Purdy everytime we lose a game. Lol. If we won..these ppl wouldn't be so..lame? Haha. These ppl can act like they know something..BrockStar just gunna keep proving them wrong

Yeah I agree.
He's highly accurate and one of the best in the current NFL. He hits guys right between the numbers in full stride. Pretty close to Brees. I don't think he's far off from that. Size is fine. He's bigger than Steve Young was. Heavier than Montana was. Much larger than Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson. His arm strength is enough. He's not 6'5" with a rocket arm. But not everyone is. He's fine physically. His quickness and athleticism in a short area is a little underrated and he can create off schedule.

His weight/height percentile is not good. Same with his hand size. Wilson and Brees have monster hands.

While he's accurate, he is not Brees. Stop with that. Dude is one of the most accurate QBs in the history of the NFL. Maybe he gets there one day. Brees' pocket awareness and footwork is elite level. That's what happens when you play as long has he did. Brock is still learning.

Again for the 3rd time what he excels at his processing/anticipation. Didn't think he was there last game. Again not worried about it.

Your combine stuff is how people get QB wrong. Because it's not about the combine. It's between the ears for a QB. He's very much like a young Drew Brees. Living here in San Diego I saw him. I don't see much different. The record setting years for Brees for the most part were LATER in his career. About year 14 - 20. Just off the top of my head. I couldn't say the exact years since I didn't look them all up. But they were NOT early in his career. I can tell you that. They were when he was something close to a 15 year veteran. To 20 year veteran. Certainly above year 10. He had TONS of time and experience at that point. You are comparing a 3 year player (just started the 3rd) to a much later developed player. It's ridiculous.

Brees did not put up those prolific numbers early on. Go look it up if you don't believe me. He was also a timing, anticipation, mechanics and accuracy guy. Brocks Super Power will very likely get better as he has more experience too. He's just starting his 3rd year. Although his anticipation and timing and accuracy are great he's not where he will be at year 10, 12, 15. Very likely he will be further ahead. Much like Brees.
Your combine stuff is how people get QB wrong. Because it's not about the combine. It's between the ears for a QB. He's very much like a young Drew Brees. Living here in San Diego I saw him. I don't see much different. The record setting years for Brees for the most part were LATER in his career. About year 14 - 20. Just off the top of my head. I couldn't say the exact years since I didn't look them all up. But they were NOT early in his career. I can tell you that. They were when he was something close to a 15 year veteran. To 20 year veteran. Certainly above year 10. He had TONS of time and experience at that point. You are comparing a 3 year player (just started the 3rd) to a much later developed player. It's ridiculous.

Brees did not put up those prolific numbers early on. Go look it up if you don't believe me. He was also a timing, anticipation, mechanics and accuracy guy. Brocks Super Power will very likely get better as he has more experience too. He's just starting his 3rd year. Although his anticipation and timing and accuracy are great he's not where he will be at year 10, 12, 15. Very likely he will be further ahead. Much like Brees.

Yeah, I started calling him Brock Brees early on and I didn't know Brock had studied him as he talked about later in an interview.

Drew touches on comps between him and Brock in this int:

[ Edited by Montana on Sep 17, 2024 at 9:17 PM ]

Your combine stuff is how people get QB wrong. Because it's not about the combine.

A hand measurement is a hand measurement,...whether at the combine or anywhere else.

Measurements aren't getting anything "wrong." In fact, its very purpose lies in getting things right. You have it backwards, as usual.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 17, 2024 at 9:48 PM ]

Yeah, I started calling him Brock Brees early on and I didn't know Brock had studied him as he talked about later in an interview.

Drew touches on comps between him and Brock in this int:

His most close comparison is Brees. A young Brees at the beginning of his career. He plays just like that. A little better in fact. The super prolific Brees was very late career. Mostly years 10 - 20. He had TONS of experience when he was putting up those big numbers.

Brees 3rd year.....2108 yards.....11 TD's.....15 interceptions.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 17, 2024 at 9:58 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
Your combine stuff is how people get QB wrong. Because it's not about the combine.

A hand measurement is a hand measurement,...whether at the combine or anywhere else.

Measurements aren't getting anything "wrong." In fact, it's very purpose lies in getting things right. You have it backwards, as usual.

Nah it's one or other, he doesn't want to hear facts and logic, or that both statements have merit.
His most close comparison is Brees. A young Brees at the beginning of his career. He plays just like that. A little better in fact. The super prolific Brees was very late career. Mostly years 10 - 20. He had TONS of experience when he was putting up those big numbers.

Brees 3rd year.....2108 yards.....11 TD's.....15 interceptions.

So is it Baby Brees or Baby Bosa?
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
So you don't put any weight on this being the Vikes again & him struggling with what Flores was throwing @ Purdy just like last year?

No I said I thought Flores called a damn good game. IMO We don't play the Vikings enough for me to say "oh it's the Vikings" chalk up a L.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 18, 2024 at 2:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone