There are 220 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Your combine stuff is how people get QB wrong. Because it's not about the combine. It's between the ears for a QB. He's very much like a young Drew Brees. Living here in San Diego I saw him. I don't see much different. The record setting years for Brees for the most part were LATER in his career. About year 14 - 20. Just off the top of my head. I couldn't say the exact years since I didn't look them all up. But they were NOT early in his career. I can tell you that. They were when he was something close to a 15 year veteran. To 20 year veteran. Certainly above year 10. He had TONS of time and experience at that point. You are comparing a 3 year player (just started the 3rd) to a much later developed player. It's ridiculous.

Brees did not put up those prolific numbers early on. Go look it up if you don't believe me. He was also a timing, anticipation, mechanics and accuracy guy. Brocks Super Power will very likely get better as he has more experience too. He's just starting his 3rd year. Although his anticipation and timing and accuracy are great he's not where he will be at year 10, 12, 15. Very likely he will be further ahead. Much like Brees.

The combine "stuff" is his measurables. You can't make that s**t up. His size is his size and you're telling me he's not small compared to his peers at that position and that's factually incorrect.

I literally said what makes him special is between the ears. His processing and anticipation. I said I thought that wasn't up to par last week. At least not to what he's shown he's capable of most of the time…. It's early in the season, so I'm not worried.

And I said he could become a Brees like QB. He's not there overall. Most folks when they bring up comps it's not when that player was "at his worst" but when they were at their best. No one says hey
so an so is Payton manning 2.0…you know from his rookie yr when he threw 28 ints.

Again for the 4th time I said he's young and still learning. Not sure what you're trying to debate me about here.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 18, 2024 at 2:03 AM ]
  • bud49
  • Veteran
No doubt Brees was a good QB but he really excelled when he went to the Saints and played in the Seans offensive system.
Originally posted by bud49:
No doubt Brees was a good QB but he really excelled when he went to the Saints and played in the Seans offensive system.

Dude had one of the worst shoulder injuries ever too.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

It's starting to look like more and more that Brock doesn't and won't fit this mold. It's doing a decent job of executing Kyle's playbook, more so than any other quarterback has in this system. But he doesn't look like the type of guy that can take over a game, or instill fear in the opposing defense. Minnesota did to him exactly what KC did last year, and what Cleveland did before that. He can be rattled.
Compare Drew Brees in years 2 to Purdy year 2.

Purdy is far superior. Brees wasn't on Purdy's level until his 6th season in the NFL.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Sep 18, 2024 at 6:46 AM ]
Purdy was near MVP level last year and will be again.
Originally posted by DrEll:

It's starting to look like more and more that Brock doesn't and won't fit this mold. It's doing a decent job of executing Kyle's playbook, more so than any other quarterback has in this system. But he doesn't look like the type of guy that can take over a game, or instill fear in the opposing defense. Minnesota did to him exactly what KC did last year, and what Cleveland did before that. He can be rattled.

I've seen Brees get rattled. Seen Spagnuolo rattle Brady in a couple SBs. Are they disqualified from being great QBs too?
Originally posted by DrEll:

Because of one game?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Compare Drew Brees in years 2 to Purdy year 2.

Purdy is far superior. Brees wasn't on Purdy's level until his 6th season in the NFL.

I'm sorry but when folks are comparing players to first ballot HOFers they're not talking about how they were at their worst.

literally you could say any s**tty QB was as good as manning if you're comparing them to manning's rookie yr. We're also trying to compare 2004 to 2024 lol. A lot of s**t has changed in football since then.

imo it's not fair to say he's Brees 2.0, just because he's shorter and white.

I think Brock has a chance to be a damn good QB, I also think what he's really good at (processing speed/anticipation) wasn't there (like it usually is) last game. I'm not worried about it at all…but after watching the game again it was something I noticed.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
I've seen Brees get rattled. Seen Spagnuolo rattle Brady in a couple SBs. Are they disqualified from being great QBs too?

Yeah man sometimes you gotta tip your hat to the other team. Flores called a great game. Is what it is. Learn from it and go be better next game. A whole hell of a lot of football left!

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm sorry but when folks are comparing players to first ballot HOFers they're not talking about how they were at their worst.

literally you could say any s**tty QB was as good as manning if you're comparing them to manning's rookie yr. We're also trying to compare 2004 to 2024 lol. A lot of s**t has changed in football since then.

imo it's not fair to say he's Brees 2.0, just because he's shorter and white.

I think Brock has a chance to be a damn good QB, I also think what he's really good at (processing speed/anticipation) wasn't there (like it usually is) last game. I'm not worried about it at all…but after watching the game again it was something I noticed.

I am talking about how Brees was in his first few years, like Purdy. Apples to Apples. Brock is miles ahead of where Brees was and will get better. He is also already an elite top 3-5 QB. He surpassed damn good long ago.
I am comparing Brock to his peers and Brees to his peers in year 2 and 3.

Trey Lance is why you always throw shade at Purdy. It has been this way since they benched Trey.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I am talking about how Brees was in his first few years, like Purdy. Apples to Apples. Brock is miles ahead of where Brees was and will get better. He is also already an elite top 3-5 QB. He surpassed damn good long ago.
I am comparing Brock to his peers and Brees to his peers in year 2 and 3.

Trey Lance is why you always throw shade at Purdy. It has been this way since they benched Trey.

Mac jones was "better" than Brees his rookie yr. So he's gonna be better long-term? Mac jones was better than manning was his rookie yr? So at that point he was gonna be better than manning? Do you see how ridiculous that is…you can't go from that to say he's gonna be better than Brees…that's such a reach based on homerism.

I don't give a f**k about Lance. That ship has sailed long ago. If you want to continue holding onto that nonsense, go argue with a wall. I don't care about that anymore.

There is no "shade" on Brock. I want him to be great. He's played damn good football. I'm talking about LAST GAME which he didn't play particularly well and I pointed out what I saw….if you can't have that convo with me then go bother someone else because nowhere did I say Brock was all of a sudden a horrible QB.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 18, 2024 at 7:36 AM ]
Only the panthers have allowed more points than the Rams through the first two weeks so far.

That being said, we should see a much better performance from Brock and the offense this week against the Rams and hopefully make a statement.

Anything less than 30 points from the offense this game and I'll be disappointed
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Only the panthers have allowed more points than the Rams through the first two weeks so far.

That being said, we should see a much better performance from Brock and the offense this week against the Rams and hopefully make a statement.

Anything less than 30 points from the offense this game and I'll be disappointed

I'm wondering what we'll see from the Niners. Pound the ball all day or let Brock throw more? Even with Deebo out they still can throw with Aiyuk ( if he finlly plays like he can), Kittle and Jennings. Maybe we see a little bit of Cowing.
Share 49ersWebzone