LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 154 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Only the panthers have allowed more points than the Rams through the first two weeks so far.

That being said, we should see a much better performance from Brock and the offense this week against the Rams and hopefully make a statement.

Anything less than 30 points from the offense this game and I'll be disappointed

I'm wondering what we'll see from the Niners. Pound the ball all day or let Brock throw more? Even with Deebo out they still can throw with Aiyuk ( if he finlly plays like he can), Kittle and Jennings. Maybe we see a little bit of Cowing.

I'm thinking Kyle goes with the pound and ground game? Then again, this is Kyle we're talking about, so he'll probably do the opposite of what we expect him to do.
One thing that was always entertaining with Bill Walsh were the trick plays he would use. He would run something hnew almost every eek and then file it away. It might be used again in the right situation but sometimes it would never be used again. It gave opposing coaches something to be concerned with. I wish we would see a little more of that from Kyle. Those end around tosses to Deebo aren't working much anymore.
One thing that was always entertaining with Bill Walsh were the trick plays he would use. He would run something hnew almost every eek and then file it away. It might be used again in the right situation but sometimes it would never be used again. It gave opposing coaches something to be concerned with. I wish we would see a little more of that from Kyle. Those end around tosses to Deebo aren't working much anymore.

Deebo was gonna throw a pass to Purdy against the Jets but the play got blown up.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Compare Drew Brees in years 2 to Purdy year 2.

Purdy is far superior. Brees wasn't on Purdy's level until his 6th season in the NFL.

That's correct.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
His most close comparison is Brees. A young Brees at the beginning of his career. He plays just like that. A little better in fact. The super prolific Brees was very late career. Mostly years 10 - 20. He had TONS of experience when he was putting up those big numbers.

Brees 3rd year.....2108 yards.....11 TD's.....15 interceptions.

So is it Baby Brees or Baby Bosa?

He's like young Drew Brees. But better so far. The super prolific years for Brees came much later. With much more experience. That's what people are missing.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm sorry but when folks are comparing players to first ballot HOFers they're not talking about how they were at their worst.

literally you could say any s**tty QB was as good as manning if you're comparing them to manning's rookie yr. We're also trying to compare 2004 to 2024 lol. A lot of s**t has changed in football since then.

imo it's not fair to say he's Brees 2.0, just because he's shorter and white.

I think Brock has a chance to be a damn good QB, I also think what he's really good at (processing speed/anticipation) wasn't there (like it usually is) last game. I'm not worried about it at all…but after watching the game again it was something I noticed.

I am talking about how Brees was in his first few years, like Purdy. Apples to Apples. Brock is miles ahead of where Brees was and will get better. He is also already an elite top 3-5 QB. He surpassed damn good long ago.
I am comparing Brock to his peers and Brees to his peers in year 2 and 3.

Trey Lance is why you always throw shade at Purdy. It has been this way since they benched Trey.

That's true.
I'm wondering what we'll see from the Niners. Pound the ball all day or let Brock throw more ? Even with Deebo out they still can throw with Aiyuk ( if he finlly plays like he can), Kittle and Jennings. Maybe we see a little bit of Cowing.

this is Kyle Shanahan we are talking about here

i did an edit to reflect reality of Kyle
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Sep 18, 2024 at 9:28 AM ]
That's correct.

It's really not. Brees took a couple years to be successful, and his 4th season with San Diego (3rd season starting) was excellent. It was also the first year the Chargers had a winning season and a good team around him. He was an OPOY candidate and comeback player of the year that season.

It's fair to say Brock started faster, but he also stepped in to a much better system with better surrounding talent.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
That's correct.

It's really not. Brees took a couple years to be successful, and his 4th season with San Diego (3rd season starting) was excellent. It was also the first year the Chargers had a winning season and a good team around him. He was an OPOY candidate and comeback player of the year that season.

It's fair to say Brock started faster, but he also stepped in to a much better system with better surrounding talent.

Compare year 2 Brees to year 2 Purdy. Yeah he did start a lot faster. He's further ahead of where Brees was. People don't realize Purdy would have had 4,500+ yards had he played game 17. Maybe a few more TD's. He's on a fabulous start. That team Brees was on had some outstanding WR's and TE's. Some good offensive linemen too. They weren't perfect. But there were some real good parts there.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 18, 2024 at 9:33 AM ]
Brock seemed to lock in on a certain target far too often in the vikings game left some completions on the field for sure.

Compare year 2 Brees to year 2 Purdy. Yeah he did start a lot faster. He's further ahead of where Brees was. People don't realize Purdy would have had 4,500+ yards had he played game 17. Maybe a few more TD's. He's on a fabulous start. That team Brees was on had some outstanding WR's and TE's. Some good offensive linemen too. They weren't perfect. But there were some real good parts there.

Year one Mac Jones was better than year one manning….what's your point?

in no way does that equal out to so an so will be that player or is already better… Such a straw man fallacy.

I mean if we're tossing out stats then Big Ben, Rivers and s**t even Eli manning are better than Dan Marino. No objective person would agree with that though.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 18, 2024 at 10:16 AM ]

in no way does that equal our to so an so is that player or better than them. Such a straw man fallacy.

I mean if we're tossing out stats the Big Ben, Rivers and s**t even Eli manning are better than Dan Marino. No objective person would agree with that though.

He's young Drew Brees. Except better. Get over it.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Hey man don't you know that Jefferson and Lamb are gonna be as good or better than Jerry rice? They have more yards in their 1st 4 yrs than Jerry did….no context allowed. Those are facts

in no way does that equal our to so an so is that player or better than them. Such a straw man fallacy.

I mean if we're tossing out stats the Big Ben, Rivers and s**t even Eli manning are better than Dan Marino. No objective person would agree with that though.

He's young Drew Brees. Except better. Get over it.

So was he right?

We are 3 years in on Purdy. Not 13 starts. Mullens always threw for a lot of yards. Lots of interceptions too. No comparison. Comparing apples to grapefruit.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 18, 2024 at 10:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone