LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 219 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That's a relief I guess whatever happened to Brock's back healed up pretty fast AF
Originally posted by ninerjok:
That's a relief I guess whatever happened to Brock's back healed up pretty fast AF
It was just sore from carrying the offense.
Full go. Thank god
Phew!

Brock on!

Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Brock did miss that opportunity. I just find the pitiful defense and special teams far more glaring a problem. Despite that missed opportunity, the offense was clicking really well, but we won't win many games if the defense always allows the other team to answer, or, if the special teams can['t] cover kicks/punts.

Exactly.

The fact that this is still being discussed and the only true topic after the game he had just proves that this place is a composition of people who want to either complain and dwell in misery or spend all their time trying to tell people to spot complaining and dwelling lol

all I wanted to do was read up on all the awesome plays he had… guess I'll try again in 2 months.

Brock stats would be ridiculous if not for all the drops
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Sep 25, 2024 at 3:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:
The fact that this is still being discussed and the only true topic after the game he had just proves that this place is a composition of people who want to either complain and dwell in misery or spend all their time trying to tell people to spot complaining and dwelling lol

all I wanted to do was read up on all the awesome plays he had… guess I'll try again in 2 months.

Talk about the awesome plays he had. No one is saying you can't. Post some stuff. I did… No one seems to care about that though.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

He's playing damn good
Originally posted by NYniner85:
First off, he is short and his arm is not in the upper echelon among the QBs in the NFL. He's also a damn good young QB who possesses other skills sets that makes him successful….BOTH things can be true.

as far as that play, why would you not want your QB you're about to pay $200M to see a busted coverage and take advantage of it? It's not like it was in the 1st QR, it was late in the game and it would have sealed the W. s**t seems to happen to us. Why can't we get one of those?

No one is saying he played poorly, he most certainly didn't. Doesn't mean he shouldn't make that play, which was f**king important. It should be okay to talk about it.

Why does criticism with context bother you so much? I go into the Shanahan thread and it's "fire him" or he's a "choker" literally no context, no nuance, no room to have an educated discussion about it. Just emotional fans reacting without answers. That's about as stale and boring as it gets for me. You don't like a play call, well explain why you didn't like it. Show what was missed. Criticism work some context should be okay.

I come in here to have discussions about football and maybe learn a little more about the sport. It's all in fun, at least it should be. No one is "pivoting" just pointing out a really important play in the game. No one hates Brock. I'm glad he's our QB.

A great post. I'm not a smart man when it comes to football, hence why I hardly post. But this is exactly why I keep coming back - to get more insight into the game and team that I love so much. I've come to accept that I have to wade through pages of trash to get the treasure. Thanks mate.
Originally posted by Wagga49er:
A great post. I'm not a smart man when it comes to football, hence why I hardly post. But this is exactly why I keep coming back - to get more insight into the game and team that I love so much. I've come to accept that I have to wade through pages of trash to get the treasure. Thanks mate.

Thanks man, there's a lot of quality posters in here…like you said, you just have to siphon through the crap to get to it. I will admit I can be part of that… unintentionally 😬

Originally posted by Furlow:
Cool let's start over. Do you believe Kyle (and what it looked like while watching the game) that Purdy saw Aiyuk but turned it down? Or are you saying he's lying and you think Purdy missed it?

Why not ask Brock about it? I think Kyle is protecting his QB and explain the play and what happened from an X's and O's standpoint. Coverage breakdown and BA changed his route because that's what he's suppose to do when that happens. Run to the massive void in the field.

No, I do not believe that Brock didn't see BA when we can all clearly see in the film that he and BA were legit staring directly at each other. No I do not believe he refused to throw it because he doesn't "trust" BA.

Brock for whatever reason didn't throw it and Kyle said its probably because he didn't know where the FS was…because he was legit on the other side of the field. I chalk it up to a brain fart or whatever. Happens. Not the end of the world, but because I said it there's gotta be some other motive

Brock makes that play more than he doesn't. We see broken coverage explosives all the time…especially vs us lol. That should have been a game sealing TD.

like I've been saying Brock balled out, he sure as s**t wasn't the reason we lost. Plenty of other things led to that. He hits that play then none of that s**t matters though. Same as if Moody hits the FG or Bell catches that ball.

I don't think it was a brain fart at all. The coverage busted so quickly to such a large degree that in Brock's 1/4 second "look at BA" window he didn't trust what he saw. I also think he was strongly considering the down/distance/clock and score situation and leveraging that against the risk of the longer pass attempt.…. A lot to process in 1/4 seconds. They were rushing three… it would be surprising to any QB to see BA streaking wide open. To the point of almost being unbelievable, considering there were eight in coverage. He's also young and relatively inexperienced. Based off what I assume he was looking at, and all the factors he was considering, I think he made the correct decision to pass on (what he considered) a high risk opportunity and instead take what he could to improve third downs chances… when viewed from his lens

i hope he's able to process similar situations better in the future and let that thing rip. But, I actually saw it as a sign of a mature QB to make the decision he did. Albeit, the wrong decision.

I guess what I'm saying is I like the very obvious situation-processing ability he has, and I hope now that he's seen this situation he'll be better suited to make the appropriate split-second decision next time
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Sep 25, 2024 at 3:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Talk about the awesome plays he had. No one is saying you can't. Post some stuff. I did… No one seems to care about that though.
I hear ya, wasn't directed at anyone
Why not ask Brock about it? I think Kyle is protecting his QB and explain the play and what happened from an X's and O's standpoint. Coverage breakdown and BA changed his route because that's what he's suppose to do when that happens. Run to the massive void in the field.

No, I do not believe that Brock didn't see BA when we can all clearly see in the film that he and BA were legit staring directly at each other. No I do not believe he refused to throw it because he doesn't "trust" BA.

Brock for whatever reason didn't throw it and Kyle said its probably because he didn't know where the FS was…because he was legit on the other side of the field. I chalk it up to a brain fart or whatever. Happens. Not the end of the world, but because I said it there's gotta be some other motive

Brock makes that play more than he doesn't. We see broken coverage explosives all the time…especially vs us lol. That should have been a game sealing TD.

like I've been saying Brock balled out, he sure as s**t wasn't the reason we lost. Plenty of other things led to that. He hits that play then none of that s**t matters though. Same as if Moody hits the FG or Bell catches that ball.

JT detailed a few throws during last season where Brock passed on an open big play too. It's the next step into him becoming a truly elite qb. Trust in your ability.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

I guess we need better receivers eh
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Cool let's start over. Do you believe Kyle (and what it looked like while watching the game) that Purdy saw Aiyuk but turned it down? Or are you saying he's lying and you think Purdy missed it?

I don't think it was a brain fart at all. The coverage busted so quickly to such a large degree that in Brock's 1/4 second "look at BA" window he didn't trust what he saw. I also think he was strongly considering the down/distance/clock and score situation and leveraging that against the risk of the longer pass attempt.…. A lot to process in 1/4 seconds. They were rushing three… it would be surprising to any QB to see BA streaking wide open. To the point of almost being unbelievable, considering there were eight in coverage. He's also young and relatively inexperienced. Based off what I assume he was looking at, and all the factors he was considering, I think he made the correct decision to pass on (what he considered) a high risk opportunity and instead take what he could to improve third downs chances.

is hope he's able to process similar situations better in the future and let that thing rip. But, I actually saw it as a sign of a mature QB to make the decision he did. Albeit, the wrong decision.

I guess what I'm saying is I like the very obvious situation-processing ability he has, and I hope now that he's seen this situation he'll be better suited to make the appropriate split-second decision next time

Good post.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It's easy for the arm chair QBs to say it was an easy pitch and catch play, but there are a ton of variables the QB has to process in that split second when it's completely unexpected.

Earlier in the game, yeah he probably lets it rip, without worrying too much about where the other safety is and the possibility of an INT. But that late in the game, it could be a game-costing play. So he chose the safer route.

either way, he made the game winning throw soon thereafter…but his receiver dropped it.
Share 49ersWebzone