LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 245 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I don't think it was a brain fart at all. The coverage busted so quickly to such a large degree that in Brock's 1/4 second "look at BA" window he didn't trust what he saw. I also think he was strongly considering the down/distance/clock and score situation and leveraging that against the risk of the longer pass attempt.…. A lot to process in 1/4 seconds. They were rushing three… it would be surprising to any QB to see BA streaking wide open. To the point of almost being unbelievable, considering there were eight in coverage. He's also young and relatively inexperienced. Based off what I assume he was looking at, and all the factors he was considering, I think he made the correct decision to pass on (what he considered) a high risk opportunity and instead take what he could to improve third downs chances… when viewed from his lens

i hope he's able to process similar situations better in the future and let that thing rip. But, I actually saw it as a sign of a mature QB to make the decision he did. Albeit, the wrong decision.

I guess what I'm saying is I like the very obvious situation-processing ability he has, and I hope now that he's seen this situation he'll be better suited to make the appropriate split-second decision next time

I feel like every drop back is a lot to process. I'm with ya though.

I just expect my future $200M QB to hit that layup. It's crazy because you can see both of them looking at each other and he just doesn't throw it…it's 1st and 20 and you get tossed a meatball.

It's just one play and I think he's really good. It was never my intention to dwell on that one play. I have no doubt that he will learn from that. We just need those type of plays to be hit with all the injuries and needing to getting some Ws until everyone comes back.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
JT detailed a few throws during last season where Brock passed on an open big play too. It's the next step into him becoming a truly elite qb. Trust in your ability.

Agreed.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Good post.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It's easy for the arm chair QBs to say it was an easy pitch and catch play, but there are a ton of variables the QB has to process in that split second when it's completely unexpected.

Earlier in the game, yeah he probably lets it rip, without worrying too much about where the other safety is and the possibility of an INT. But that late in the game, it could be a game-costing play. So he chose the safer route.

either way, he made the game winning throw soon thereafter…but his receiver dropped it.

The difference between being good and elite is making those types of throws though.

I mean folks are acting like that was some ridiculous throw/read but compared to other throws he's made it wasn't bad at all imo. I hate to use screenshots but what about this is hard?

the FS is not within 10 yards either. He chose to scramble around and make a contested throw to JJ on 1st in 20 for like 5 yards? I wouldn't call that safer. Take that layup.

Like you said he hit Bell and he dropped it and a bunch of other s**t led to this loss. Brock played amazing and I'm not trying to take anything away from him…just wish he would have thrown that ball. He will learn and improve there.
Man NY is crazily obsessed with 1 play. 500+ posts so far about it. If he didn't know where the safety was the correct decision is not to throw it. He was almost perfect all the rest of the game. Both running and throwing. Most of the incompletions were drops which hit guys in the hands. Nothing wrong with Brock in that game. Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes and Peyton Manning have turned down shots down the field. We don't need to act like this never happened before in NFL history.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Good post.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It's easy for the arm chair QBs to say it was an easy pitch and catch play, but there are a ton of variables the QB has to process in that split second when it's completely unexpected.

Earlier in the game, yeah he probably lets it rip, without worrying too much about where the other safety is and the possibility of an INT. But that late in the game, it could be a game-costing play. So he chose the safer route.

either way, he made the game winning throw soon thereafter…but his receiver dropped it.

The difference between being good and elite is making those types of throws though.

I mean folks are acting like that was some ridiculous throw/read but compared to other throws he's made it wasn't bad at all imo. I hate to use screenshots but what about this is hard?

the FS is not within 10 yards either. He chose to scramble around and make a contested throw to JJ on 1st in 20 for like 5 yards? I wouldn't call that safer. Take that layup.

Like you said he hit Bell and he dropped it and a bunch of other s**t led to this loss. Brock played amazing and I'm not trying to take anything away from him…just wish he would have thrown that ball. He will learn and improve there.

The bigger difference between good and elite is often times experience 👍🏻
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Man NY is crazily obsessed with 1 play. 500+ posts so far about it. If he didn't know where the safety was the correct decision is not to throw it. He was almost perfect all the rest of the game. Both running and throwing. Most of the incompletions were drops which hit guys in the hands. Nothing wrong with Brock in that game. Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes and Peyton Manning have turned down shots down the field. We don't need to act like this never happened before in NFL history.

What's there to know? He has a set of eyeballs and can see there's no one there. Look at the film or don't and makeup stuff…I'm not the only person talking about it. Also nowhere did I say he didn't play amazing.

Just like any football game, it can take one play to win or lose it. Mahomes hit those plays to win multiple super bowls. Brady hits those plays and won multiple SBs.

We don't need to talk about Bell dropping balls or our kicker missing a FG either…like that s**t doesn't happen every week either BUT you got no problem talking about that.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 25, 2024 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
The bigger difference between good and elite is often times experience 👍🏻

Totally agree…he's not a a finished product and that's a good thing
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Sep 25, 2024 at 5:05 PM ]

What's there to know? He has a set of eyeballs and can see there's no one there. Look at the film or don't and makeup stuff…I'm not the only person talking about it. Also nowhere did I say he didn't play amazing.

Just like any football game, it can take one play to win or lose it. Mahomes hit those plays to win multiple super bowls. Brady hits those plays and won multiple SBs.

We don't need to talk about Bell dropping balls or our kicker missing a FG either…like that s**t doesn't happen every week either BUT you got no problem talking about that.

He didn't know where the safety was. If so not throwing is the correct move. It's not how we lost. Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Manning have missed shots down the field. If you want to nit pick that much on one play. You could find it with them too. It's ridiculous. He was nearly perfect in the game. Not why we lost.

Your question has been answered. He didn't feel confident that the safety wasn't in a blind spot. The coverage was so blown that it made Purdy think he misread it and was being tricked. Mistakes happen in a quick game. You have your answer.
He didn't know where the safety was. If so not throwing is the correct move. It's not how we lost. Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Manning have missed shots down the field. If you want to nit pick that much on one play. You could find it with them too. It's ridiculous. He was nearly perfect in the game. Not why we lost.

How did he not know? You can clearly see there's absolutely no one around him. Dude makes those tight window throws all he time. This was the opposite of that.

I don't doubt they have…guess what we're not talking about them. We're talking about WK3 and how they could have won. This was one play that if made they could have won. There was plenty of other stuff that led to the loss. Which I have said over and over. If you don't want to discuss this play. Then don't. If you want to talk about other plays he made…go ahead.

Originally posted by captveg:
Your question has been answered. He didn't feel confident that the safety wasn't in a blind spot. The coverage was so blown that it made Purdy think he misread it and was being tricked. Mistakes happen in a quick game. You have your answer.

okay. Let's talk about some of his other plays.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Cool let's start over. Do you believe Kyle (and what it looked like while watching the game) that Purdy saw Aiyuk but turned it down? Or are you saying he's lying and you think Purdy missed it?

Why not ask Brock about it? I think Kyle is protecting his QB and explain the play and what happened from an X's and O's standpoint. Coverage breakdown and BA changed his route because that's what he's suppose to do when that happens. Run to the massive void in the field.

No, I do not believe that Brock didn't see BA when we can all clearly see in the film that he and BA were legit staring directly at each other. No I do not believe he refused to throw it because he doesn't "trust" BA.

Brock for whatever reason didn't throw it and Kyle said its probably because he didn't know where the FS was…because he was legit on the other side of the field. I chalk it up to a brain fart or whatever. Happens. Not the end of the world, but because I said it there's gotta be some other motive

Brock makes that play more than he doesn't. We see broken coverage explosives all the time…especially vs us lol. That should have been a game sealing TD.

like I've been saying Brock balled out, he sure as s**t wasn't the reason we lost. Plenty of other things led to that. He hits that play then none of that s**t matters though. Same as if Moody hits the FG or Bell catches that ball.

So you're admitting that Purdy saw him, and turned it down. Then it's not a "miss." Coverage, down and distance, and game situation all play a part in a QB's decision making.

Since you know that Purdy turned it down and didn't miss it, why do you keep saying it was a miss? And not just once, you now have dozens of posts this week about it. Is this one throw really THAT important to you in your analysis of Purdy or this particular game?

This is what we're struggling to understand about your position.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

How did he not know? You can clearly see there's absolutely no one around him. Dude makes those tight window throws all he time. This was the opposite of that.

I don't doubt they have…guess what we're not talking about them. We're talking about WK3 and how they could have won. This was one play that if made they could have won. There was plenty of other stuff that led to the loss. Which I have said over and over. If you don't want to discuss this play. Then don't. If you want to talk about other plays he made…go ahead.

Because his view is from the pocket, not all-22 like you're using to judge the play/decision.
Good post.

It's been repeated that Purdy doesn't have all22 when making that split decision. His view of the play isn't the same from broadcast and from all22. He's viewing it from behind an OL and through other players. It was a busted coverage. He didn't know where the other safety was, and chose to not risk it and lose the game. It is what it is.

He made the perfect throw soon thereafter to win the game and it was dropped. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Because his view is from the pocket, not all-22 like you're using to judge the play/decision.

The game is bang, bang too and the view from the pocket. That's not like slowing it down on the all 22 and taking a snapshot and saying "how did he not know?" He's probably looking at that for 1/10 of a second. Then bang come off it if you don't know where the safety is. It's not hindsight all 22 freeze frame and snapshot a picture. It's not the slow in the game and there are unknowns. The Ravens with their big, tall, long Safety proved that. You better know where guys are. So he's cautious. Which is good. You actually can be over aggressive too. If that CLOWN Bell could catch we win the game. If our defense could stop people we win. We got a lot of guys with a sore calf too. Who need to be tougher and play. CMC can be out because he has a real injury. Some of these guys are being soft. It's not how we lost.

Never in your life will you see a QB be perfect on every play all game long. That's what NY is waiting for. But in the next 10,000 years you won't find that.
Share 49ersWebzone