LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 233 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have a QB
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
We have a QB

zero doubt he is a legit top 5 franchise QB....

Would not trade him for any QB right now.....dude is having a monster start to the season considering how crazy stuff is around him, dudes dropping balls, line wiffing blocks...guys in and out... there is alot of chaos......and Brock is crushing it.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
We have a QB

Where the f**k have you been the past 2 years?
Best QB in SF since Young and that's no disrespect to Garcia (who is criminally underrated and was keeping SF alive with Owens despite nearly zero supporting cast), but my god, Purdy just has it. Smart, can throw on a dime, faster and stronger and smarter than outside people want to credit him for.

He's consistent and a joy to watch. Ecstatic to watch a QB like this on this team.
Concerning the lack of speed at wr. Guys aren't getting open. Brocks making it work but the better teams in the league can easily man up and then what?

The ravens tonight did just that vs bills and they really prevented Allen from scrambling. Hopefully aiyuk or someone can start beating man coverage
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Concerning the lack of speed at wr. Guys aren't getting open. Brocks making it work but the better teams in the league can easily man up and then what?

The ravens tonight did just that vs bills and they really prevented Allen from scrambling. Hopefully aiyuk or someone can start beating man coverage

Speed isn't what creates separation. Jennings is one of the slower WRs in the league but he's also one of the best separators.

Pearsall, Jennings and Aiyuk are all good at separating.

Playing man exclusively is not how you beat the Niners.
Number #1 in passing yards in the league after 4 weeks and doing it without his best offensive weapons.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Best QB in SF since Young and that's no disrespect to Garcia (who is criminally underrated and was keeping SF alive with Owens despite nearly zero supporting cast), but my god, Purdy just has it. Smart, can throw on a dime, faster and stronger and smarter than outside people want to credit him for.

He's consistent and a joy to watch. Ecstatic to watch a QB like this on this team.

Yep, reminds me of when we had Joe and Young. That calmness, command and confidence. Like having a good sea captain, waves may be tumultuous but we have someone at the wheel where it's like, yeah, there isn't that worry, basically, it's trust. And yep, haven't felt that since Young. I had full confidence Young was going to get the trophy, we really knew after we won the NFC Champ Game against Dallas. It was ours. There was no doubt. I think Purdy will help us win again, eventually.
[ Edited by Montana on Sep 30, 2024 at 1:22 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
DBs are jumping the in breaking routes while ignoring the deep routes because, prior to today, Brock wasn't throwing them (as JT O'Sullivan pointed out many times).
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I'm pretty confident he's a top 5 qb in the league today.

We might be some tweaks on the offensive line from a very dominant multi year run with a truly elite QB.

What he is doing having to run for his life on the regular is really, really impressive. I Joe and Steve had some line issues come and go at times, but they never had to deal with this....

That's the elephant in the room the o-line.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Really happy for Brock. Needs to fine tune that "running around like a chicken with its head cut off" bit. Don't want him to get hurt, better to throw it away and live for another down. But other than that has been carrying the team with an awful defense and STs
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by AllenB2609:
With good coaching this kid could be the next Steve Young

lol

Sorry that I laughed
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Sep 30, 2024 at 5:04 AM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Speed isn't what creates separation. Jennings is one of the slower WRs in the league but he's also one of the best separators.

Pearsall, Jennings and Aiyuk are all good at separating.

Playing man exclusively is not how you beat the Niners.

Fair to say, Speed is one way to create separation.... it also has an added benefit to pushing the last layer of the defense back...so it has a passive effect of helping create more separation for others in this zone heavy era.

I remember when the Run and Shoot was first hitting the NFL, with the idea of stretching the defense from sideline to sideline vs end zone to end zone... They really wanted low center of gravity guys...short, low to the ground..change of direction type WRs. I met Ernest Givins, I was taller and larger then him. He was listed as 5-8 170 or something close to that....dude was probably 5-7 at best, maybe 5-6 and 150.

I think those 90s oiler teams were the poster child for shifty works in the NFL. They did not really have a long striding deep threat "speed" guy until Webster Slaughter showed up (another dude who was listed at 140 pounds at San Joaquin, and magically became 175 in the NFL). His take the top off speed, changed things for the other guys, but REALLY opened up Lo White in the running game...that dude instantly became a 1000 yard RB, with the Safeties off the LOS and defenses spread out.

I think you are 100% correct in you don't need Randy Moss type speed, but with the right guy...it really never hurts.

I don't know what the front office is planning for the future, but it is kinda a shame we did not have to field a depleted offense last year. Had they known Brock could carry the offense with random TEs, 3rd string RBs and JJ....maybe it would change the way the money is spent on offense.

This team feels like it could re-load the offense on the fly and swap out some expensive parts with less drop off then we might have expected in years past.

Either way, like you said...the guys we have do work, so there is no need to chase any more blue chip WRs just to try and add some speed. This team needs to shore up other positions wayyyyyyy before they think of dropping more draft or cap capital into yet another WR.
Brock had bad intentions for the pats yesterday, came out gun-slinging. He really does want to dominate. Our QB is special. gonna be fun going forward.
Share 49ersWebzone