There are 171 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BP13:
Brock had bad intentions for the pats yesterday, came out gun-slinging. He really does want to dominate. Our QB is special. gonna be fun going forward.

He had one of his worst completion % of his career. He was trying to his more guys deep than he normally does so the % goes down. He still looked good other than the one INT where he didn't see the coverage.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Brock had bad intentions for the pats yesterday, came out gun-slinging. He really does want to dominate. Our QB is special. gonna be fun going forward.

He had one of his worst completion % of his career. He was trying to his more guys deep than he normally does so the % goes down. He still looked good other than the one INT where he didn't see the coverage.

I like that he's taking shots

Same

Not sure if already reported but through his first 25 games he has the highest rating ever since the merger at 112.6. A tick better than Mahommes and trounces Marino and Warner
Really didn't like the interception. Hopefully it was just a "we'll beat the Patriots anyway, gotta get Aiyuk his first TD" shot. Doing that with a 14-point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.

He had some really good deep throws though. He's on track to be our franchise QB
A ton of folks have compared Purdy to Drew Brees, which is fine. But I've been saying for a while now that the proper comparison is Frank Tarkenton. Matt Barrows apparently agrees based on his latest article.
Originally posted by socal1632:

Not sure if already reported but through his first 25 games he has the highest rating ever since the merger at 112.6. A tick better than Mahommes and trounces Marino and Warner

I never liked the QB rating stat. A player can have a high rating by just completing a lot of short easy passes. His rating can also be downgraded a lot by an INT even if it has no effect on the game. QB is a complex position and that rating stat is too simplistic to show how valuable a QB really is. The QBR stat invented by ESPN is more complex and is better than the plain rating number but even that doesn't tell the whole story.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
A ton of folks have compared Purdy to Drew Brees, which is fine. But I've been saying for a while now that the proper comparison is Frank Tarkenton. Matt Barrows apparently agrees based on his latest article.

I have heard the Fran comparison some time ago and I agree, his mobility, scrambling, improvisation and use of his feet, definitely similar . Running all over the field, like Fran. Just awesome . I also remember Pete Carroll making the same comparison to Fran. Pretty high praise.
[ Edited by Montana on Sep 30, 2024 at 8:38 AM ]
  • Cosmo

I think his pocket mobility and escapability remind me of Russell Wilson. I'm old, but still not old enough to remember Fran Tarkenton.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Really didn't like the interception. Hopefully it was just a "we'll beat the Patriots anyway, gotta get Aiyuk his first TD" shot. Doing that with a 14-point lead in the red zone in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.

He had some really good deep throws though. He's on track to be our franchise QB

he will learn.....

He is coming off a nearly flawless week that the media kept asking him about one throw.....well.....he lost a defender in coverage, tried the throw and got picked off......
There is a balance to taking shots...he will get there....

Lord knows we have watched guys do less with more

If they can figure out how to keep teams from taking away that bread and butter deep crossing stuff they like to throw, plus mix in some deep connections he will be a 300-400 yard passer week in and week out.

I see Purdy a little like Jimmy Conzelman, especially the play making ability. I remember watching Conzelman in person with my grandsons and he was all of our favorite player at the time.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cosmo:

I think his pocket mobility and escapability remind me of Russell Wilson. I'm old, but still not old enough to remember Fran Tarkenton.

Steve Young
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by Cosmo:

Steve Young

I can see the Tark comparison. I'm old enough to have seen him many times. Steve Young was different. He was faster and could make longer runs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

I agree with this. And I think it was exactly the reason for the INT.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:

I see Purdy a little like Jimmy Conzelman, especially the play making ability. I remember watching Conzelman in person with my grandsons and he was all of our favorite player at the time.

(This has to be a joke or you'd be the oldest man alive)
Share 49ersWebzone